RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Merged.

There is also an RNH-vs-Strome thread a few pages down and some discussion of Strome in Brock's mid-season OHL roundup (see page 2).

KingJet*

He reminds me of a playmaking version of Kovalchuk, If St. Croix was taken before him, I'd highly go for this guy.

Say I had the 7th overall pick
If I was wanting a forward
1. St. Croix
2. Strome
3. Huberdeau

If I needed D
1. Hamilton
2. Siemens
3. Beaulieu

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
How good is Ryan Strome??

Is he this years Jeff Skinner? I remember getting on this board last year and asking about Skinner and heard alot of people downplaying his goalscoring pace and eventual 50+ goal season at 17 yrs old.

Now, Strome is close to leading the OHL in scoring(points) at 17. How good is this kid? Is he feeding off someone else to pad his stats? How does he compare to others near the top? I am not sure where this kid is sitting now in the rankings?

member 30781

I don't get the hype. I really don't see his game transforming at the NHL. But I am likely one of a VERY few people who think that.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
Is he this years Jeff Skinner? I remember getting on this board last year and asking about Skinner and heard alot of people downplaying his goalscoring pace and eventual 50+ goal season at 17 yrs old.

Now, Strome is close to leading the OHL in scoring(points) at 17. How good is this kid? Is he feeding off someone else to pad his stats? How does he compare to others near the top? I am not sure where this kid is sitting now in the rankings?

Definately not feeding off anyone else.

member 30781

I'm in same boat. I'd probably have him around 10-12. I probably wouldn't put a 1st rounder on it but I think Dan Catannacci may be the more desirable NHLer.

10-12 is pushing it for me. Id say 16-21, but I think that would be a big risk for any NHL team. I think there is better talent at those spots to justify not picking Strome. Oh how I wish Grimaldi was JUST a bit taller ;)

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I don't get this: "his game isn't suited that well for the NHL" point. How could people know that? I think his a very good prospect and will likely go in the top 10. I would say 6th or 7th (behind the big four and maybe Murphy and Huberdeau).

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
10-12 is pushing it for me. Id say 16-21, but I think that would be a big risk for any NHL team. I think there is better talent at those spots to justify not picking Strome. Oh how I wish Grimaldi was JUST a bit taller ;)

I'm very interested in what 15 prospects you think is better than Strome. He is second in OHL scoring at the moment.

member 30781

I don't get this: "his game isn't suited that well for the NHL" point. How could people know that? I think his a very good prospect and will likely go in the top 10. I would say 6th or 7th (behind the big four and maybe Murphy and Huberdeau).

Being a top 10 pick does not mean you are a top ten player. What we say are gut feelings, they are not fact. I personally don't think Strome's game will translate to the bigger stage at the level everyone is expecting him too. That is not to say he will not be an NHL player, but more so that he will not reach what many people on HF believe is his potential.

That is why scouts get paid the big bucks for their projections. There is NO WAY anyone can predict how Strome will turn out, but I just think he won't be quite as good as people are making him out to be. Take it however you want, but thats just a gut feeling.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I've been a fan for a while (Early September). The guy just has it all IMO. Speed, hands, grit.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
Being a top 10 pick does not mean you are a top ten player. What we say are gut feelings, they are not fact. I personally don't think Strome's game will translate to the bigger stage at the level everyone is expecting him too. That is not to say he will not be an NHL player, but more so that he will not reach what many people on HF believe is his potential.

That is why scouts get paid the big bucks for their projections. There is NO WAY anyone can predict how Strome will turn out, but I just think he won't be quite as good as people are making him out to be. Take it however you want, but thats just a gut feeling.

What don't you like about his game? I also would like to know which 15 players you would take ahead of Strome.

member 30781

I'm very interested in what 15 prospects you think is better than Strome. He is second in OHL scoring at the moment.

In no particular order:

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Murphy
Siemens
Musil
Puempel
Saad
Ambroz
Huberdeau
Armia
Jurco
Mayfield
Nieto

Those are 15 players that I think have a better shot at:
a)cracking the NHL faster
b)producing more/being a factor at the NHL level
c)having a better career

I am sure I could probably name a few more players who I think will be better than Strome.

Like I said, its just what I believe. I know there will be people who disagree with me which I am not concerned about

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He won't be as good as some are hyping him up to be, example, "he could be better than RNH". But he's definitely a top 10 prospect for this draft. There's no way 15 prospects are better than him. Right now or projecting into the future.

member 30781

And honestly, most of the people on here have to get rid of the "he is second in points in the OHL" reasoning. Points are not everything and I find that many people base talent solely off points.

I am not singling out anyone, I am mainly speaking to the entire fanbase on HF. Guys like Sheppard tore up juniors, but in no way does that mean he was a top 10 player. Now I know one example isnt enough but there are a LOT of cases where this happens and people use points as a basis to judge a players skill. While it does factor into it, its by far not the main reason that people should be looking out to judge how high or low a player goes.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it's funny that people have these projections for why they think he'll fail, or how he 'can't be as good as RNH' but have no substantial reasoning for it. 'It's a gut feeling' is not a legitimate claim to downplay one of the most talented kids in this draft. I'm pretty sure that of the ISS rankings he's also the youngest of the top 5.

Could you tell me why you don't think his game will translate into the NHL? Is it his speed? His shot? His vision? Maybe his size? How many games of his have you seen to be making this assumption? For that matter, how many games have you watched of all the other prospects you listed that you think will have better careers than Strome?

Just as an update Strome had another 3 point night tonight bringing his total to 12 points in the last 4 games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Having seen Strome a few times live (as in standing room at Gatecliff, watching the 'Dogs) already this year, he's got a lot to like about his game. His speed and ability to create at top speed are evident and he's got a creative side to him, an offensive flair to finding open teammates or moving himself into open ice quickly and at the right time. His stats are a product of his abilities, he's not leeching off of anyone -- Freddie Hamilton has been a frequent running-mate up there and his game has come alive on Strome's wing.

He's not the biggest guy and there isn't a great deal of a power game to him, but for a team looking for an offensive pivot who can bring pace to their attack, he'd be a solid choice. And honestly, for a kid with his quicks and hands and head, he doesn't need to play a power game. How he compares to the other top ranked forwards? Eh, I haven't seen nearly enough of them to know how he'd stack up. Some of the people I trust in regards to talent evaluation have great things to say about some of the players ranked at the concensus high-end of the draft... him included.

Metalownall

Oct 8, 2008
Quebec city
Just take a look at Greg McKegg. He had very good stats pre-draft (37-48-85pts) and got picked in early third round. He still has a very good year point wize, but I'm not sure he's considered a better prospect for so

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
strome haters

he's dynamic and has a good all around game

should go 10-15

and this coming from a majors fan

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Not sure why I understand the talk of him not translating. He's got decent size along with great speed and a cannon of a shot. That right their could very well make you top 10.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just take a look at Greg McKegg. He had very good stats pre-draft (37-48-85pts) and got picked in early third round. He still has a very good year point wize, but I'm not sure he's considered a better prospect for so

How is that relevant at all? How are Greg McKegg and Strome even remotely similar?

In stead of just listing off players that have had high point totals and failed why not actually provide reasoning for why you think Strome won't become a good NHLer? What about his game says that he can't make it in the NHL?

I'll tell you why I think he will. I've not seen all of his games, but I've seen enough, and after watching the prospect game I can say this. He has a blistering shot, great passing, good vision and hockey sense and great skating. He's also defensively responsible, scrappy and still filling out his frame. He finds great places to be on the ice almost all the time, and he's got pretty good dangles to boot. He can make a lot of moves at top speed and doesn't seem to let himself get bullied often.

Also considering he is just 17 I don't see why he wouldn't take his offensive success with him to the NHL. If he doesn't go top 5 I'll be surprised.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think it's funny that people have these projections for why they think he'll fail, or how he 'can't be as good as RNH' but have no substantial reasoning for it. 'It's a gut feeling' is not a legitimate claim to downplay one of the most talented kids in this draft. I'm pretty sure that of the ISS rankings he's also the youngest of the top 5.

Could you tell me why you don't think his game will translate into the NHL? Is it his speed? His shot? His vision? Maybe his size? How many games of his have you seen to be making this assumption? For that matter, how many games have you watched of all the other prospects you listed that you think will have better careers than Strome?

Just as an update Strome had another 3 point night tonight bringing his total to 12 points in the last 4 games.

How many games have you seen of them? I've seen several games of both RNH and Strome, and RNH is IMO better is almost every offensive category. If you want me to break down their games to every single facet, then I might do that if I feel like it, but don't insult people for basically no reason. Although you may not believe it, everyone here doesn't exist to provide scouting reports for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad