RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IceDogsandLeafs

Dec 10, 2010
Niagara Falls, ON
I know I've given my opinion on Strome in many of the other threads started on him in the past two months, but why not give it again.

The first thing you notice about Strome is his explosiveness and creativity. Every game, he has a couple of rushes where he gets by at least one or two defenders, only to be stymied by a third. He's also not afraid to try to by creative with the puck and has a bevy of moves outside of simply using his speed to get by defenders. But, unlike a lot of creative offensive players at this level, it's not at the sacrifice of his defensive game. He picks his spots well and isn't the type of selfish puckhandler you see attempt to go through an entire team.

He's very dangerous with room to move (thus all his powerplay points) and is just an elite skater in every category. His edging and agility is fantastic and it allows him to be as creative as he is offensively, because defenders have a difficult time staying with him.

He's definitely a complete offensive player too. A lot of people have complimented his vision and passing ability, but he's also got a very accurate shot which will only get better as he adds strength (and velocity).

I think the development of his physical game will be the most interesting moving forward. A lot of people are seeing and hearing about him fighting and assume he's a tough player. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a tenacious/gritty guy. He'll go into the corners and in front of the net, and he'll occasionally throw a hit on the forecheck. But he's not someone who's out there consistently hitting people. That's not his game. He's fought a few times this year, which shows a certain level of fearlessness, but I'm not sure I see that carrying over to the NHL.

Quite frankly, I don't think there are any holes in his game and it puts him right up there with Landeskog and Saad. All three are fantastic players with very complete games, who profile very well as NHL players. I think that when all is said and done, he'll definitely be in consideration for at least the top 10 and possibly the top 5.

I'd love to see him go top 5. Maybe I am just being too cautious. You broke down his game very well.

dream catcher

Apr 12, 2010
I know I've given my opinion on Strome in many of the other threads started on him in the past two months, but why not give it again.

The first thing you notice about Strome is his explosiveness and creativity. Every game, he has a couple of rushes where he gets by at least one or two defenders, only to be stymied by a third. He's also not afraid to try to by creative with the puck and has a bevy of moves outside of simply using his speed to get by defenders. But, unlike a lot of creative offensive players at this level, it's not at the sacrifice of his defensive game. He picks his spots well and isn't the type of selfish puckhandler you see attempt to go through an entire team.

He's very dangerous with room to move (thus all his powerplay points) and is just an elite skater in every category. His edging and agility is fantastic and it allows him to be as creative as he is offensively, because defenders have a difficult time staying with him.

He's definitely a complete offensive player too. A lot of people have complimented his vision and passing ability, but he's also got a very accurate shot which will only get better as he adds strength (and velocity).

I think the development of his physical game will be the most interesting moving forward. A lot of people are seeing and hearing about him fighting and assume he's a tough player. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a tenacious/gritty guy. He'll go into the corners and in front of the net, and he'll occasionally throw a hit on the forecheck. But he's not someone who's out there consistently hitting people. That's not his game. He's fought a few times this year, which shows a certain level of fearlessness, but I'm not sure I see that carrying over to the NHL.

Quite frankly, I don't think there are any holes in his game and it puts him right up there with Landeskog and Saad. All three are fantastic players with very complete games, who profile very well as NHL players. I think that when all is said and done, he'll definitely be in consideration for at least the top 10 and possibly the top 5.

Jonathan Toews without the once in a lifetime leadership qualities?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ryan Strome

Doesn't look like there's a topic on this guy.

Anyone out there actually see him play a lot? He looks legit from the clips and streams that I've seen, and that's evident by his rising in the ranks as well. He's putting up great points this year, he's only 17, and I think he could also double as a left-wing (from what I've seen from his left-side play.)

I'd just like some more insight into his play type. I've heard good things about his positional play. How's his defensive game? His offence seems to be top notch. What about his character?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I also want to hear more. He is one of the guys in this draft that I don't know alot about, and frankly, it kind of sounds like a lot of hype to me at this point.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hey Seasons ticket holder for the Ice Dogs here.

Strome is a very different player, lol. It's tough to find someone to compare too. Offensively he is brilliant. Great vision, great shot, ability to pick off the short side. His faceoffs are improving, his physical play is strong. His defense is what needs the most work. Also, he looks like he has room to fill out more physically.

I can't see him being NHL ready next season. But I said that about Skinner... so...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Strome is a very different player, lol. It's tough to find someone to compare too. Offensively he is brilliant. Great vision, great shot, ability to pick off the short side. His faceoffs are improving, his physical play is strong. His defense is what needs the most work. Also, he looks like he has room to fill out more physically.

I can't see him being NHL ready next season. But I said that about Skinner... so...

Actually, i read that he really needs to work on his physical play more than anything else, i heard that he's fairly weak on the boards, am i off base on this?

He's a guy who i really want the Oilers to target and maybe even over RNH if it comes down to choosing between the two but his apparent weak physical play might be a concern.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Strome may end up the best forward in this draft and I really want NJ to trade down to the 6/7 pick to select him. A player who has intelligence on the offensive side of the puck will easily learn the defensive side of the game.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Strome may end up the best forward in this draft and I really want NJ to trade down to the 6/7 pick to select him. A player who has intelligence on the offensive side of the puck will easily learn the defensive side of the game.

I think Strome is on Buffalo's radar. They need Center depth badly.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I think Strome is on Buffalo's radar. They need Center depth badly.
Too bad they won't be able to pick him at 13 or so, since it looks like they'll finish just out of the playoffs yet again.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Actually, i read that he really needs to work on his physical play more than anything else, i heard that he's fairly weak on the boards, am i off base on this?

He's a guy who i really want the Oilers to target and maybe even over RNH if it comes down to choosing between the two but his apparent weak physical play might be a concern.

Sorry when I was saying strong physical play, I meant he doesn't shy away from taking or giving the big hit when needed, he'll get his hands dirty in a fight too if needed. I will agree he needs to be stronger on the boards.

The one thing he has going for him is he constantly improving, while Couturier and RNH havn't taken the next step this season. He is climbing up fast behind them for sure. However, one thing teams really look for from that #1 Center prospect is faceoffs, and although he has been good, it sounds like the other two have been stellar in that department.

OilerOlli*

Sorry when I was saying strong physical play, I meant he doesn't shy away from taking or giving the big hit when needed, he'll get his hands dirty in a fight too if needed. I will agree he needs to be stronger on the boards.

The one thing he has going for him is he constantly improving, while Couturier and RNH havn't taken the next step this season. He is climbing up fast behind them for sure. However, one thing teams really look for from that #1 Center prospect is faceoffs, and although he has been good, it sounds like the other two have been stellar in that department.

They don't chose Couturier and RNH over Strome because of the faceofs.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He's 6'0.25" 183 lbs. according to NHL Central Scouting.

6' 1" 185 is his size.

They don't chose Couturier and RNH over Strome because of the faceofs.

When players are that close, those things can be the deciding factor. A #1 center his is strong on the faceoff is very important for a cup contender. So if Strome and RNH are seen to have the same playmaking/goalscoring ability, things like faceoffs become big deciding factors.

OilerOlli*

6' 1" 185 is his size.

When players are that close, those things can be the deciding factor. A #1 center his is strong on the faceoff is very important for a cup contender. So if Strome and RNH are seen to have the same playmaking/goalscoring ability, things like faceoffs become big deciding factors.

I don't think they are that close. Couturiere and RNH are a good length ahead of Strome.

buffaloburger

Jan 7, 2011
Doesn't look like there's a topic on this guy.

Anyone out there actually see him play a lot? He looks legit from the clips and streams that I've seen, and that's evident by his rising in the ranks as well. He's putting up great points this year, he's only 17, and I think he could also double as a left-wing (from what I've seen from his left-side play.)

I'd just like some more insight into his play type. I've heard good things about his positional play. How's his defensive game? His offence seems to be top notch. What about his character?

Strome is the real deal. Solid kid with great skills.
He still has good upside over what he is doing now.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream

Kadri?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well I was looking at him because if we don't get to draft Landeskog I wouldn't mind drafting him in stead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad