RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He definitely solidified a spot on the Islanders next season.

Now the question is where? We've seen him at center and wing and he's looked great at both.

I was convinced the Islanders brass wanted him to stay at center but with Nielsen and Nelson having more defensive prowess, I'm not so sure anymore.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
He definitely solidified a spot on the Islanders next season.

Now the question is where? We've seen him at center and wing and he's looked great at both.

I was convinced the Islanders brass wanted him to stay at center but with Nielsen and Nelson having more defensive prowess, I'm not so sure anymore.

The Islanders brass and senior players like Tavares all talk about him at center. Even Vanek, not even with the organisation talked glowingly about Strome:
I think Stromie [Ryan Strome] will be one of the best centers in a few years

(Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/thomas-vanek-faces-islanders-for-first-time-1.7672206 )

The way Strome makes people around him perform better while finding players with fantastic passes all over the ice would lead me to believe he is the guy the Islanders have earmarked to be the long term 2nd line center behind Tavares. The secondary scoring line basically will be led by Strome.

His defense has improved immeasurably as the season has gone on, to the point I actually think he is somewhat underrated in the defensive end. He knows he needs to add strength this summer, which will help him offensively and defensively considerably.

I can't wait to watch him next season.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
This is a great problem to have. Isles might have their most dangerous offensive group in some time next season.

Tavares and Okposo will surely draw the best coverage. Nielsen, Nelson and Strome will see 2nd/3rd pairings. Should be a fun season if nothing else.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
15 points in 19 games with a +8 rating. Oh yeah, and apparently he PKs too now!?

He's exceeded my expectations so far, he just oozes more and more confidence every game.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
15 points in 19 games with a +8 rating. Oh yeah, and apparently he PKs too now!?

He's exceeded my expectations so far, he just oozes more and more confidence every game.

I'm surprised.
He's been great exactly the way I pictured it when he was drafted. I was at the Coliseum draft party standing and applauding Snow for the pick. Most fans around me were unfamiliar with him.
I thought he would score more but he's just too generous.

Ryan please shoot more you have a great arsenal.

I'm surprised with his defense. He really has worked hard. Same with his skating.
If he stays confident and believes in himself he could easily challenge JT for the scoring title.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's Giroux-lite. :sarcasm:

Actually, I think Bryan Little is a good comparison.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He's been our best player thus far. He and Nelson have elevated our secondary scoring to a new level. Honestly, you could probably call them our primary scoring at this point. The fact that Tavares can slump and we can still score 4 or 5 goals a game. Never thought I'd see that, TBH.

Strome is basically already playing the way that I hoped he would eventually play in his prime.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Strome is exhibit A of why most of the "early" prospect polls are a joke. The Isles took a while to develop him and now look what they have. I am sure for a few years people were saying you should have taken player x or player y but "I" (pats himself on the back) have always been a big fan of Strome and thought this was a great pick. Every hypothetical between the Jets and the Isles I was hoping we would have landed Ryan but that ship has sailed now (not that it ever existed)

It's also nice when a blue chip rookie can slot into a team and he doesn't have to carry the load.

ds4130

Jun 6, 2011
Mandalay, Myanmar
Unfortunately I couldn't watch any games from Jan. '14 until the first week of this month, but Strome has exceeded my expectations from the few games I've seen from him already. He's plays the defensive side of the game incredibly well too, which I really wasn't expecting, especially from a kid who is still new to the NHL.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Strome is exhibit A of why most of the "early" prospect polls are a joke. The Isles took a while to develop him and now look what they have. I am sure for a few years people were saying you should have taken player x or player y but "I" (pats himself on the back) have always been a big fan of Strome and thought this was a great pick. Every hypothetical between the Jets and the Isles I was hoping we would have landed Ryan but that ship has sailed now (not that it ever existed)

It's also nice when a blue chip rookie can slot into a team and he doesn't have to carry the load.

Well said, the Isles have done a great job of letting him develop and most importantly... putting him in a position to succeed. They've actually done that with Nelson as well and are currently doing that with their defensive prospects now. It's reminiscent of the Detroit 'overripen' model of development.

The NHL is a win now league, but a little patience can go a very long way. Strome is really emerging now and is establishing himself as a true impact player at the NHL level. The odds of regression are quite low with him too.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well said, the Isles have done a great job of letting him develop and most importantly... putting him in a position to succeed. They've actually done that with Nelson as well and are currently doing that with their defensive prospects now. It's reminiscent of the Detroit 'overripen' model of development.

The NHL is a win now league, but a little patience can go a very long way. Strome is really emerging now and is establishing himself as a true impact player at the NHL level. The odds of regression are quite low with him too.

Pulock and Reinhart are being brought along at a nice pace.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I've been preaching that since Napaleon was a cadet. Now if only 28 other dip**** GMs could get the hint. Along with some of the "fans" around here.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

I agree with this. I felt Strome could become the best offensive player in the draft.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've been preaching that since Napaleon was a cadet. Now if only 28 other dip**** GMs could get the hint. Along with some of the "fans" around here.

I know you have MW, we've had this discussion before.

The Isles get a lot of criticism, but they've become one of the most adept development teams in the league. Drafting top-5 definitely helps, but they have been making all the right decisions to ensure that those players are allowed to develop properly and at a slow/steady pace.

One thing that's underrated is their exposure to Team Canada (since the Isles love their CHL players). I know you have a lot of criticism for TC, but the Isles have let their kids go through that system and get exposure to big games as well as being around the apparent crème de la crème of CHL hockey. Strome, G. Reinhart, and now Dal Colle have all played big roles (well MDC will) for that program and have benefitted from it. It's like getting a free turbo charger when buying a car, why turn it down? You're right about too many GM dip*****.

I remember not too long ago when an Edmonton fan posted a thread on the main boards accusing the Isles of being the worst drafting team in the league... it was so funny and ironic. An Edmonton fan making that claim. Maybe Edmonton needs to take a cue from the Isles on how to handle their kids because it saddens me how they handle them. Why the hell is Draisaitl not back in the WHL? Besides being bad for their development (being thrown to the wolves and all), waste their ELC's in the process. For how well developed Strome is, he's only in the 2nd year of his ELC. I guess EDM's answer is to give out 6 year and $6M/per contracts like candy. Such godawful mismanagement.

They should hire you. I'll be your assistant. :)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012

The Isles get a lot of criticism, but they've become one of the most adept development teams in the league. Drafting top-5 definitely helps, but they have been making all the right decisions to ensure that those players are allowed to develop properly and at a slow/steady pace.

One thing that's underrated is their exposure to Team Canada (since the Isles love their CHL players). I know you have a lot of criticism for TC, but the Isles have let their kids go through that system and get exposure to big games as well as being around the apparent crème de la crème of CHL hockey. Strome, G. Reinhart, and now Dal Colle have all played big roles (well MDC will) for that program and have benefitted from it. It's like getting a free turbo charger when buying a car, why turn it down? You're right about too many GM dip*****.

I remember not too long ago when an Edmonton fan posted a thread on the main boards accusing the Isles of being the worst drafting team in the league... it was so funny and ironic. An Edmonton fan making that claim. Maybe Edmonton needs to take a cue from the Isles on how to handle their kids because it saddens me how they handle them. Why the hell is Draisaitl not back in the WHL? Besides being bad for their development (being thrown to the wolves and all), waste their ELC's in the process. For how well developed Strome is, he's only in the 2nd year of his ELC. I guess EDM's answer is to give out 6 year and $6M/per contracts like candy. Such godawful mismanagement.

The islanders draft well.
Credit to the scouting dept and management.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I never criticize Team Canada or any of the players who pull that jersey over their heads and play at tournaments. My criticism is always directed at the boobs in management, a few of the bureaucrats who have proven over and over again since 2010 they have their own special level of incompetence. The Salmond 2013 Ufa lamp debacle...because apparently he was under the impression that Ufa was way up there where Santa Claus lives. But, despite their special brand of ineptitude, playing for TC at any tournament can be an important and useful tool for player development.
I never want to see the NHL-CHL rule change whereby junior age players can play in the AHL... but I'm pretty sure at some point that they are going to change that rule and further gut the CHL of their top talent.. but that day is coming. I just hope that the rule when changed also comes with this rule, any junior age player assigned to the AHL, has to be released to his National Team for tournaments. specifically the U20 tournament. no ifs ands buts about it, on December 10 any junior age player playing in the AHL reports to his National Team selection camp....

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

Agreed 100%.

Strome was one of my favorite prospects from the 2011 draft. I never understand why so many people were so down on him. I hated that the Islanders took him, but he was a good pick then and a good pick today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad