RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Guaranteed. The Ryan Strome from this season is a whole new player from the one last season. He can score highlight goals, great vision on his passes, good skater, wins fights, great on the faceoff. I truly believe he'll go top 10. If anyone gets him higher, they will be as lucky as the Dogs are now.

and he still has room to grow for sure.

I was impressed with him, seeing him live on Saturday night. He and Hamilton gave the Spits fits and if either of those tip-plays in the first work out, they walk away with a win. The two of them had great pace to their game and he seems a bit more filled out than last season. Definitely someone on the rise in the 2011 draft watch.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Ryan Strome?

Where do you think he'll end up? What's his high/low-end potential? How has his play been recently?

I really like this guy, hoping the Oilers draft him around 4-6.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Where do you think he'll end up? What's his high/low-end potential? How has his play been recently?

I really like this guy, hoping the Oilers draft him around 4-6.

I think he'll end up around the #5 slot. His ceiling is probably a guy like Pat Sharp, low-end still an NHLer but I guess a 2nd/3rd line tweener or worse. I haven't watched him in a few weeks, so I can't answer your 3rd question.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ryan Strome (Merged)

Having not seen the player in game action and only going off of youtube highlights he kind of reminds me of a less dynamic but tougher version of Tyler Seguin. Is this somewhere in the ballpark? He seems to not be as fast or have as quick with his release but he seems to have a mean side to him which definitely earns him some points in my books. Any comments on this player would be greatly appreciated.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I LOVE this kid. He's more Johnny Teows IMO, but I can see where the Seguin comparison comes from. He's got a nice set of wheels on him, solid hands and can finish and pass the puck. I really hope this guy comes to E-Town.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wow, 1 reply? I thought we had about 1000 armchair scouts in this forum alone.

BTW-Thanks for your thoughts Gobo.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Having not seen the player in game action and only going off of youtube highlights he kind of reminds me of a less dynamic but tougher version of Tyler Seguin. Is this somewhere in the ballpark? He seems to not be as fast or have as quick with his release but he seems to have a mean side to him which definitely earns him some points in my books. Any comments on this player would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't say he's much slower than Seguin, and he seems to be very shifty on the rush, it makes him unpredictable and that has been a great asset to him. His stick speed with the puck is as good as anyone in this draft.

There is a lot of effort from him on the defensive side, but I wouldn't automatically say that makes him great defensively, but the groundwork is there. The fact that he will drop the gloves to stand up for himself if certainly a plus. But it would be nice to see him add some size.

As of now I'd say top 15 lock, but a lot can change.

Last edited:

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I LOVE this kid. He's more Johnny Teows IMO, but I can see where the Seguin comparison comes from. He's got a nice set of wheels on him, solid hands and can finish and pass the puck. I really hope this guy comes to E-Town.

I haven't seen him play but it sounds like he would be a great fit to play with Hall!
From what I have read, if Couturier, Larsson, and Nugent-Hopkins are off the board Strome would be a great option.

Does he have the potential or likely-hood of becoming a #1 center or does he project to become a #2?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
He more likely projects as a #2, but let's see how he finishes this season first. A #1 certainly isn't out of the question.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
He kind of reminds me a better version of Eberle in a way. His on ice vision and intelligence is pretty impressive, and his skill with the puck is unreal. Definitely could be a #1 C IMO. Also he's got a lot of heart and grit to him, he's willing to fight and he can hit. He won't flatten someone all the time, but think more how Brule is (hitting wise).

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
I'm gonna bump this cause I want to hear A LOT more about Strome. He intrigues me a lot. I don't hear a lot of holes and would like someone to confirm for me (if possible) if he actually checks out at 6'1 these days. I know it's only 2 inches, but it makes a huge difference no pun intended. From what I read this kid doesn't have much of a flaw in his game and has all the intangibles to go with that. Really sounds like he could become a 1st line center and sounds like he could jump into the top 5 conversation.

IceDogsandLeafs

Dec 10, 2010
Niagara Falls, ON
Strome's development has been amazing to date and the kid can skate. He needs to add muscle (like most prospects do) and he needs to improve in his own end. I see him as a later first rounder.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Strome's development has been amazing to date and the kid can skate. He needs to add muscle (like most prospects do) and he needs to improve in his own end. I see him as a later first rounder.

I'm surprised that you as an Ice Dogs fan think he will go late first round. I got him going 5-8th overall.

IceDogsandLeafs

Dec 10, 2010
Niagara Falls, ON
I'm surprised that you as an Ice Dogs fan think he will go late first round. I got him going 5-8th overall.

Usually, we all fall for a prospect we read about and those who actually see them play see aspects of their game that need work. I think he has a boat load of potential and he could rise up the draft boards to that kinda level, but he is not a Seguin type product as the OP suggested. He needs to get stronger in the corners and improve a bit in his own end. He is a special talent though and one of the best the IceDogs have had

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Usually, we all fall for a prospect we read about and those who actually see them play see aspects of their game that need work. I think he has a boat load of potential and he could rise up the draft boards to that kinda level, but he is not a Seguin type product as the OP suggested. He needs to get stronger in the corners and improve a bit in his own end. He is a special talent though and one of the best the IceDogs have had

So you consider him a late 1st rounder? If yes, then who would you draft ahead of him from the OHL alone?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Strome scored a real beauty of a goal last night against Barrie. Not nearly at the level of the earlier season goal against Plymouth, but still not bad. He cut down the wing, put on the breaks, and while falling to the ice, roofed one top shelf. I'll try to track down or ask around for a clip.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for that, like I said I've only seen highlights but the fact that the kid is a big center that can score and adds some toughness makes him a very attractive prospect for the Oilers.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I've been intrigued with Strome for the Oilers for a few months as well.

He is a dangerous offensive player with good size, strong skater, good vision, quick release. I've read he's more of a playmaker than goal scorer but from what I've seen he has a nice shot arsenal and can put the puck in the net.

Needs to get stronger as I find him kind of weak on his skates (think of the Oiler young kids at the beginning of the season....falling down, getting knocked off the puck).

Not a lot of info on this guy for some reason. I've only read a few write-ups from the The Scouting Report about Strome. One of the reports was kind of negative about him (http://www.thescoutingreport.org/ohl-feature-niagara-ice-dogs-overview/).

I really like him as a prospect and would be ecstatic if the Oil got him. He's probably 2-3 years away from making an impact in the NHL but he's very intriguing in my opinion.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'm gonna bump this cause I want to hear A LOT more about Strome. He intrigues me a lot. I don't hear a lot of holes and would like someone to confirm for me (if possible) if he actually checks out at 6'1 these days. I know it's only 2 inches, but it makes a huge difference no pun intended. From what I read this kid doesn't have much of a flaw in his game and has all the intangibles to go with that. Really sounds like he could become a 1st line center and sounds like he could jump into the top 5 conversation.

I know I've given my opinion on Strome in many of the other threads started on him in the past two months, but why not give it again.

The first thing you notice about Strome is his explosiveness and creativity. Every game, he has a couple of rushes where he gets by at least one or two defenders, only to be stymied by a third. He's also not afraid to try to by creative with the puck and has a bevy of moves outside of simply using his speed to get by defenders. But, unlike a lot of creative offensive players at this level, it's not at the sacrifice of his defensive game. He picks his spots well and isn't the type of selfish puckhandler you see attempt to go through an entire team.

He's very dangerous with room to move (thus all his powerplay points) and is just an elite skater in every category. His edging and agility is fantastic and it allows him to be as creative as he is offensively, because defenders have a difficult time staying with him.

He's definitely a complete offensive player too. A lot of people have complimented his vision and passing ability, but he's also got a very accurate shot which will only get better as he adds strength (and velocity).

I think the development of his physical game will be the most interesting moving forward. A lot of people are seeing and hearing about him fighting and assume he's a tough player. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a tenacious/gritty guy. He'll go into the corners and in front of the net, and he'll occasionally throw a hit on the forecheck. But he's not someone who's out there consistently hitting people. That's not his game. He's fought a few times this year, which shows a certain level of fearlessness, but I'm not sure I see that carrying over to the NHL.

Quite frankly, I don't think there are any holes in his game and it puts him right up there with Landeskog and Saad. All three are fantastic players with very complete games, who profile very well as NHL players. I think that when all is said and done, he'll definitely be in consideration for at least the top 10 and possibly the top 5.

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
I know I've given my opinion on Strome in many of the other threads started on him in the past two months, but why not give it again.

The first thing you notice about Strome is his explosiveness and creativity. Every game, he has a couple of rushes where he gets by at least one or two defenders, only to be stymied by a third. He's also not afraid to try to by creative with the puck and has a bevy of moves outside of simply using his speed to get by defenders. But, unlike a lot of creative offensive players at this level, it's not at the sacrifice of his defensive game. He picks his spots well and isn't the type of selfish puckhandler you see attempt to go through an entire team.

He's very dangerous with room to move (thus all his powerplay points) and is just an elite skater in every category. His edging and agility is fantastic and it allows him to be as creative as he is offensively, because defenders have a difficult time staying with him.

He's definitely a complete offensive player too. A lot of people have complimented his vision and passing ability, but he's also got a very accurate shot which will only get better as he adds strength (and velocity).

I think the development of his physical game will be the most interesting moving forward. A lot of people are seeing and hearing about him fighting and assume he's a tough player. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a tenacious/gritty guy. He'll go into the corners and in front of the net, and he'll occasionally throw a hit on the forecheck. But he's not someone who's out there consistently hitting people. That's not his game. He's fought a few times this year, which shows a certain level of fearlessness, but I'm not sure I see that carrying over to the NHL.

Quite frankly, I don't think there are any holes in his game and it puts him right up there with Landeskog and Saad. All three are fantastic players with very complete games, who profile very well as NHL players. I think that when all is said and done, he'll definitely be in consideration for at least the top 10 and possibly the top 5.

Thanks Brock, couldn't have said it better myself...:handclap:

Just to add to that, he has very good hockey sense and a filthy wrister. What I like most is his ability to change a game with some very dynamic play. He is dangerous every time he is on the ice. But he does need to get stronger and continue to work on his defensive game, which is already decent. I think top 10 is possible at this point as well...

IceDogsandLeafs

Dec 10, 2010
Niagara Falls, ON
So you consider him a late 1st rounder? If yes, then who would you draft ahead of him from the OHL alone?

I should have said middle of the first. In the OHL, I'd have to put Landeskog, Ryan Murphy, Dougie Hamilton, and Saad. Then if you count the euros and WHL/QMJHL prospects, he could go around 15-18. He also could go top 10. It is too early to tell.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I should have said middle of the first. In the OHL, I'd have to put Landeskog, Ryan Murphy, Dougie Hamilton, and Saad. Then if you count the euros and WHL/QMJHL prospects, he could go around 15-18. He also could go top 10. It is too early to tell.

Whats going to work to his advantage is that he's a center.

Couturier, Hopkins, Rask, Strome... the two Russians. Narrow range of centers will prop them up come draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $700.00