RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You simply can't say that. Draft boards are all over the place. That's why guys rated in the 2nd round go 3rd overall (See Wheeler, Blake).

When it comes to Strome, while I agree he is likely on AVERAGE top 7 or 8 on most team draft boards (even though a lot of teams haven't even consolidated theirs), several teams likely don't have him in the top 15. That's just the way it works.

It's one of the things that many don't seem to grasp around here -- that teams have their own lists and aren't beholden to the consensus of draft-niks or bloggers. The annual cries of surprise and indigination depending upon variations in the non-team based consensus. Parades are thrown for "steals". Diatribes are hurled down at the rest of the league for passing on fallers who were much ballihoo'd during the season.

At the end of the day, the teams have their own lists.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
In no particular order:

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Murphy
Siemens
Musil
Puempel
Saad
Ambroz
Huberdeau
Armia
Jurco
Mayfield
Nieto

Those are 15 players that I think have a better shot at:
a)cracking the NHL faster
b)producing more/being a factor at the NHL level
c)having a better career

I am sure I could probably name a few more players who I think will be better than Strome.

Like I said, its just what I believe. I know there will be people who disagree with me which I am not concerned about

No Hamilton ?

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
You simply can't say that. Draft boards are all over the place. That's why guys rated in the 2nd round go 3rd overall (See Wheeler, Blake).

When it comes to Strome, while I agree he is likely on AVERAGE top 7 or 8 on most team draft boards (even though a lot of teams haven't even consolidated theirs), several teams likely don't have him in the top 15. That's just the way it works.

I know each team has a different list and different needs. But in most scenarios you pick the best player available.

The only reason why a team wouldn't have Strome in their top 10 or top 15 is that they don't think they have realistic shot at getting him. Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver etc. will likely never have the chance to draft him because of their late 1st pick. Does that mean he isn't among the top 10 prospects in this draft? No.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I know each team has a different list and different needs. But in most scenarios you pick the best player available.

The only reason why a team wouldn't have Strome in their top 10 or top 15 is that they don't think they have realistic shot at getting him. Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver etc. will likely never have the chance to draft him because of their late 1st pick. Does that mean he isn't among the top 10 prospects in this draft? No.

No, actually, you have it completely wrong, or perhaps, didn't get my point.

What I am saying is that it is quite likely that there are teams drafting in the top 10, who aren't remotely considering Strome, as he is not in their top 15 picks. Some likely not in their top 20.

Read Chainshots post up above - he put it perfectly.

And just because a team doesn't think they can get a player, it doesn't mean they drop him down the ranking. That's like saying I hate a restaurant I've never been too, because I can't afford it.

And I like Strome, so that's not what this is about. Draft boards are all over the place. In fact, there are players in the top 30 who some times will not have on their board AT ALL. Their scout has simply said, "never" draft that guy. Ever. Happens quite a bit.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But, for the record, he must be decently high on a lot of lists if he's BMac's #6, no?

member 30781

MacKenzie is not a GM of any team and neither are the guys at Central Scouting or ISS. That doesn't mean anything in regards to where teams hold their values to players. GM's could have Strome 70th if they wanted to...I doubt it, but it could happen. Mac, CS, and ISS are just ballpark figures of who THEY think is best. Kinda like any one of our opinions on these boards.

member 30781

No Hamilton ?

Knew I was missing somebody, but right now I am not sold on Hamilton's game either. I think he is the 4th or 5th best defenseman in the draft. I would rank them:

Larsson
Siemens
Murphy
Musil
Mayfield/Hamilton

member 30781

I realize I didn't explain myself in my first post, but in my other posts I made the point that I just don't think his game will translate at the level that everyone is expecting.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
No, actually, you have it completely wrong, or perhaps, didn't get my point.

What I am saying is that it is quite likely that there are teams drafting in the top 10, who aren't remotely considering Strome, as he is not in their top 15 picks. Some likely not in their top 20.

Read Chainshots post up above - he put it perfectly.

And just because a team doesn't think they can get a player, it doesn't mean they drop him down the ranking. That's like saying I hate a restaurant I've never been too, because I can't afford it.

And I like Strome, so that's not what this is about. Draft boards are all over the place. In fact, there are players in the top 30 who some times will not have on their board AT ALL. Their scout has simply said, "never" draft that guy. Ever. Happens quite a bit.

We will never find out the answer to that question. But in this case I don't think there is one team that has him outside their top15-20. There has been no negative signs to his game and he is a riser on most lists. People slide mostly for three reasons: lack of production compared to previous season(s), lack of character(personal issues) and lack of work ethic. He hasn't failed in any of these areas, so I don't see any reason why a team wouldn't have him in their top 20. Second in OHL scoring on a team that lacks "stars"and the go to guy in Niagara. For me the only reason why a team wouldn't have him on their list is that they don't have a realistic chance of grabbing him when it's their time on the clock.

I get your point, but I really have a hard time seeing any team not having him in the top 20 even though he isn't the type of player they want, you often pick the best player available.

I found it quite hard to respond to your comment, because I understand what you're saying but I don't have much more to add from my previous comment because I don't think Strome is the type of player that a team wouldn't even have in their top 20. I found it quite hard to imagine, and I think that it will be a huge mistake to not even consider him because there is no negative signs to his game or character.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
We will never find out the answer to that question. But in this case I don't think there is one team that has him outside their top15-20. There has been no negative signs to his game and he is a riser on most lists. People slide mostly for three reasons: lack of production compared to previous season(s), lack of character(personal issues) and lack of work ethic. He hasn't failed in any of these areas, so I don't see any reason why a team wouldn't have him in their top 20. Second in OHL scoring on a team that lacks "stars"and the go to guy in Niagara. For me the only reason why a team wouldn't have him on their list is that they don't have a realistic chance of grabbing him when it's their time on the clock.

I get your point, but I really have a hard time seeing any team not having him in the top 20 even though he isn't the type of player they want, you often pick the best player available.

I found it quite hard to respond to your comment, because I understand what you're saying but I don't have much more to add from my previous comment because I don't think Strome is the type of player that a team wouldn't even have in their top 20. I found it quite hard to imagine, and I think that it will be a huge mistake and not even consider him because there is no negative signs to his game or character.

While Strome is likely not an overly polarizing player in that most teams will like him to a degree, he does still have his lazy moments according to some who watch him regularly and caught on the wrong nights, he would definitely drop down a few lists.

And in terms of a team having him outside of their top 15-20, look no further than the CSS rankings, which when combined with the Euro skaters, have him basically as in 25-30 range probably. These are professional NHL (former team) scouts who don't see Strome as a top 15 player.

I think most teams have him in their top 10 (I'd likely have him at #5 by a hair), but if CSS doesn't even have him in their top 20, you can basically guarnatee a few of the 30 NHL teams likely don't either.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
While Strome is likely not an overly polarizing player in that most teams will like him to a degree, he does still have his lazy moments according to some who watch him regularly and caught on the wrong nights, he would definitely drop down a few lists.

And in terms of a team having him outside of their top 15-20, look no further than the CSS rankings, which when combined with the Euro skaters, have him basically as in 25-30 range probably. These are professional NHL (former team) scouts who don't see Strome as a top 15 player.

I think most teams have him in their top 10 (I'd likely have him at #5 by a hair), but if CSS doesn't even have him in their top 20, you can basically guarnatee a few of the 30 NHL teams likely don't either.

Well, I can guarantee that he will rise in their rankings too. And I know these are scouts, but their lists have often been quite questionable.

Last edited:

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
MacKenzie is not a GM of any team and neither are the guys at Central Scouting or ISS. That doesn't mean anything in regards to where teams hold their values to players. GM's could have Strome 70th if they wanted to...I doubt it, but it could happen. Mac, CS, and ISS are just ballpark figures of who THEY think is best. Kinda like any one of our opinions on these boards.

McKenzie's ranking is based on the input from NHL scouts, not from him watching the players. It's not a ranking of where he feels players are going to go. An Average placement based on the rankings given to him by NHL scouts.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Official Ryan Strome Thread

Did some searching and couldn't find one that was strictly related to him so I thought I would make one.

My Avs continue to drag ass. Around Christmas it was looking like they would be picking in the 14-20 range.

In January it was more in the 8-14 range.

Now, with a 7 game losing stretch it looks like the Avs will be picking in the top 8.

With that comes the chance to draft a game breaker like Ryan Strome. Besides Duncan Siemens, or one of the top 4...this kid is likely the player I want the most.

But, with that being said I do want some more info on him.

How good is he defensively?

Is he good at faceoffs?

How is his skating?

How is his vision?

How is his hockey sense?

From what I have seen, he is a pretty decent skater, with average size and a GREAT shot and nose for the net. The Avs could use another dynamic threat up front, especially a right handed one.

But, do you see him long term as a center? Is there any way he could be transferred to play the wing?

Where do you see him going? I would expect somewhere in the 5-7 range possibly.

So many questions, hopefully some of you have some answers!

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
I go to school in Niagara and have gone to see quite a few of their games. I'm obviously no scout but i'll give you what i've observed from seeing him play.

I would say he is average defensively, i've seen him be a little lazy on the back-check at the times - definitely an offensive minded player

Is he good at faceoffs?
I can honestly say i've never paid attention to this, i'll be sure to watch next game i catch

How is his skating?
Good skater, not an elite speedster but he is certainly well above average. Has GREAT accelleration though, catches a lot of D off guard by going from standing still to full speed in a blink of an eye

How is his vision?
Great vision, really sees the ice well

How is his hockey sense?
Probably his best attribute, just has a nose for the puck and always in the right spots

From what I have seen, he is a pretty decent skater, with average size and a GREAT shot and nose for the net. The Avs could use another dynamic threat up front, especially a right handed one.
I would say this is a very accurate description

But, do you see him long term as a center? Is there any way he could be transferred to play the wing?
I honestly don't think he would have a problem transferring to the wing at all. He would look pretty damn good next to Duchene in a couple years

The guy has been on absolute fire lately. I think 5-7 is very accurate. I wouldn't take him before any of the big 4 but their is gonna be a team that falls in love with him in the top 10 for sure

So many questions, hopefully some of you have some answers!

and just posted it in another thread but i'll post it again:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'm going to agree with what JMac13 said (for the most part), but I'll answer your questions too.

On the penalty kill, he's above average. He has a high hockey sense and he does a good job of getting his stick in passing lanes to disrupt flow. He also uses his speed well to forecheck a man down. Once he gets stronger along the boards, this part of his game will improve even further.

5 on 5, he's average. As JMac13 said, he has lapses where he becomes offensively centered. But at other times, he's quite strong on the backcheck. Again, he's a very smart player and I think he'll profile as an above average defensive player moving forward.

Is he good at faceoffs?

He's improving. Right now he's average on faceoffs. His teammate Alex Friesen is one of the best in the league, so he has a good mentor.

How is his skating?

As JMac13 said, he's an above average skater with elite acceleration. He can handle the puck at top speed, which makes him even more of a threat.

How is his vision?

While he's got an excellent shot, IMO his vision and playmaking are his best assets. He moves the puck so well, once the offense has set up in the zone. While most people think of him as a dangerous player off the rush, he's more dangerous when things slow down. He moves the puck very quickly and he catches defenses sleeping quite often.

How is his hockey sense?

He has elite hockey sense IMO (as I've mentioned)

That'd be a waste of his talent IMO. He's a naturally gifted center who's biggest strength is his ability to create scoring chances for his linemates.

Right now, he's a serious candidate for the OHL's Red Tilson Award (MVP). I think he's a serious candidate for the top 5.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
I'm going to agree with what JMac13 said (for the most part), but I'll answer your questions too.

Glad to hear someone else confirm my thoughts on Strome. I also wanted to enforce that he is very good when set up in the opposition's zone - doesn't just use his speed/acceleration to be dangerous. I've even seen a few games where's he's been used on the point on the powerplay so that should say something about his vision and ability to create.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Thanks guys. I hope the Avs have a shot at this guy. You can never have enough game breaking talent.

CoolburnIsGone

Can you guys please start winning some games so you finish ahead of the Blues ? :D
Hellz na.
Well dont worry cause Florida will prob be picking before both of you guys and would probably take Strome at #5-6 (and I expect them to finish at #5).

I'll pose a copule questions for those that have seen him that wasnt asked above...

How close to NHL-ready do you think he is? Can he crack a lineup like Skinner did this yr?

His main knock that I have seen is size/weight. Does he appear that way and do you think he's got the ability to easily add some size?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad