RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, does he ever cut into the middle a lot as he enters the offensive zone. Thank God Scott Stevens has retired!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Strome hit the 100pts plateau tonight vs Ottawa (2goal GT & GW)

I was at the game tonight in Ottawa. First off I hope Prince is ok -- that's why you don't skate down the middle of the ice with your head down folks. It's also why you strap your helmet on properly. He wouldn't have been injured I'd imagine if his helmet hadn't popped off. Anyway...

Alright...quick notes because I'm tired. I had a great time and it was a very exciting game to watch with a lot of emotion and a rowdy crowd.

Good
- Strome's puck movement is crazy good. He handles that puck so well -- great puck carrier with amazing hands.
- Responsible defensively. He made some really good defensive plays including a lifted stick in the 2nd period that prevented what, I assume, could have been a sure goal. He's got a quick stick and had some decent takeaways and was causing trouble in the neutral zone all game.
- Great skating. He's fast and he's got a good first step. He's mobile.
- Surprisingly good in the corners. He's not very thick, and not overly tall, so I expected him to get pushed around a lot more. He only really got pinned against the boards once that I saw.
- Faceoffs were great. I didn't exactly count down to the exact number, but he lost 5 faceoffs all night and he took at least 15. I was really surprised. Quick stick.
- Insane shot. Laser shot. I can't say enough about his shot. His wrister is decent (my seat was right near where they were warming up) but he's a straight snipeshow with his slapper.
- Created good opportunities with passing. Great vision and hockey IQ moving around into great spaces and always following the play (defensively and offensively)

Negatives
- Nothing. HAHA JUST KIDDING
- He did make a defensive gaff on the second goal. I don't think it was really his fault, but he didn't get to the open man fast enough to prevent the goal. He could have been better.
- A couple picked off passes. They looked smooth but just ended up getting caught on sticks.
- Smallish. He's not overly tall (around 6' I'd say) and he looks kind of on the thin side. I guessed 185 before but I'd say it's closer to 170 - 175. He didn't really get bullied around, but I could see that happening.
- At points didn't really get much of a chance to get involved in the game. I wouldn't say it was his fault though as the 67s were clearly playing much better than the Ice Dogs in general.

Anyway those are my points. I know people will just write them off but I had great seats (as I said before, 7 rows from the ice in the middle) and I'm trying to be as objective as possible. It was cool though because I yelled at him during warm up and he smacked his stick against the glass at me I'm assuming in acknowledgment. Neat I guess even though I feel dirty, like a 16 year old girl or something.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
:isles "With the fourth pick in the 2011 NHL Entry draft, the New York Islanders select Ryan Strome."

Pierre McGuire- "Great pick for the Islanders!, they will not be disappointed with his 2 way play and great stick handling."

Hope this is the case but i doubt he is there at 4.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
:isles "With the fourth pick in the 2011 NHL Entry draft, the New York Islanders select Ryan Strome."

Pierre McGuire- "Great pick for the Islanders!, they will not be disappointed with his 2 way play and great stick handling."

I think 4th would be a suprise for him considering one of Larsson, RNH, Landeskog or Couturier would still be available at 5.

4thliner*

I know Strome will be a good one, maybe even the best or 2nd best player to come out of this draft if he translates that highlight reel game to the NHL BUT

NOW IN HELL HE GOES IN THE TOP 3 ahead of Larsson, Landeskog, and Nugen-Hopkins, most likely not even the severely underrated Couturier too.

I do see him going as high as 5 thought, MAYBE 4 if some dumb team passes on Sean Couturier

Ogopogo*

Another factor we can argue with in the STROME v. RNH debate is the apparent depth weakness of WHL goalis vs, the deoth of OHL goaltending --there are simply a lot more better save %'s in the OHL leading goalie group vs. WHL leading goalie group this year-PLUS take the WHL leader KUEMPER and the OHL leader VISINTIN out of each mix and the conclusion is that STROME faces better goaltending than does RNH ..and STILL RNH trails STROME in goalscoring (30 in 59 for Strome;23 in 63 for RNH )---so you must question RNH on goal scoring ability...

Creating offense is what is relevant, that is goals and assists. RNH puts up more than enough assists to offset any inferred weakness in goal scoring.

Would you question Gretzky on his goal scoring as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad