RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
LA could drop as low as 14th overall in the draft this year. I'd say 14th + 31st + something minor should get them in the top 10.
LA finishing out of the playoffs is more wishful thinking on Edmonton fans then anything else. They are in the playoffs right now, they have just started playing good hockey, they were in the playoffs last year, and adding Penner only makes them a better team.

I see that LA pick being 20+.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Why does central scouting have him ranked at 18th amoung North American prospects?

I wouldn't even look at the ranks of the Central Scouting lists. Even a semi-astute member on HFboards could do a better ranking than that. You are much better off to look at a list like Bob MacKenzie's draft list from 10 scouts if you want to get an idea of the estimated rankings... but even those will change a lot by year end.

The Central Scouting lists are just general lists that highlight pretty much all the top talent from North America and overseas and they are a "central scouting" service which collates all the top prospects. They are a sort of minimum "base intelligence" service which teams then build upon with their own scouts.

As far as the Central Scouting ranked order of all those prospects... they aren't even close to accurate. Just watch when the actual draft takes place... Bobby Mac's list will usually be the closest of all the top draft lists.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Ryan Strome will be the steal of this draft. He's the youngest guy in the draft and has been rising dramatically all season. He's the 2nd out of all forwards in the draft in PPG (1.6ish behind Couturier's 1.7ish.) He's defensively responsible and he's pretty feisty. On top of being a great playmaker and having a laser shot he also has the ability to really make defencemen look foolish on his own.

I think he could have the highest upside of any player in the draft.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Not even close to getting to the top 10? I'm pretty sure that package would get right to 10, but not much higher.

It was only a couple years ago we (Oilers) traded 30 + 36 to get to 21. So, 20 + 31 alone should get to around 14, and if a team likes Cogs and thinks they can really use him, I would say to pick 10 or 11.

thats 21st overall. In general the movement of picks depends on what team you talk to. If Boston holds the 7th overall and wants strome and think he will be available at 10 then they would consider trading down.
It all depends on if the team thinks the player they want will be available later in the draft.

birddog*

It would be tough to convince a team to move down this year. The drop off of talent after the top 10-12 players is pretty extreme. That's not to say their aren't solid prospects available after the 12th overall but to convince another GM that he could find someone of value between 20-25 and 31-32 pick is going to be tough and you may need to pair the picks with a better player than you proposed.

Teams currently picking 5th-8th are the Avalanche, Panthers, Thrashers and Bruins. My guess is none of them are overly willing to move down.

Not sure where these myths get started but this is the general consensus...

"If you talk to most people, they'll probably tell you four players have established themselves as the frontrunners for the top picks. After that, there's probably a group of 20-30 players who can all shuffle around in any order, moving higher or lower in the draft. I think we're looking at 2-3 rounds deep of really strong players before we finally reach a cutoff."
-- Al Murray

"It looks pretty good; an above-average draft," Andersson said. "Whether it's going to be one of the deepest or a little over average, it's too early, but there are a good number of interesting players."
-- Hakan Anderson (responsible for Zetterberg, Franson, Datsyuk, Holstrom, Kronwall Fillupa etc.)

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I read somewhere a few months ago that maybe Dustin Brown is a good comparable but, for whatever reason, he reminds me of Patrice Bergeron. Not sure why and I've only seen him a few times, so I could be way off.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
It's much different though...

In the NHL the top end of the crop is almost guaranteed to play in the NHL while even the 10-30 guys are almost gambles.

In the NFL the transition game is very simple and pretty much all players rounds 1-4 make it their first season.

A top 5 pick will not be moved for other picks unless it's a good deep draft.

Usually high-end picks get moved for proven players.

I agree with the criticisms of the NFL vs NHL value chart but still, I gathered the trades in the last couple years at the draft. The one most appropriate would be the trades made by the Islanders, in which they had to give up 465 points to move up from 26 to 12. In the case of the Oilers, say they have n'20 and 31. In order to move up to n'8 they'd have to give up about n'20, 31 and 62 for n'8 ... 850+600+284=1734 for 1400 ... so we're talking 3 picks + a player

Florida traded Boston's 1st-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft (previously acquired, 15th overall) to Los Angeles for Los Angeles' 1st-round pick in 2010 (19th overall) and Philadelphia's 2nd-round pick in 2010 (previously acquired, 59th overall).

... 1050 for 875+310=1185 ...

Phoenix traded its 1st-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft (22nd overall) and Buffalo's 4th-round pick in 2010 (previously acquired, 113th overall) to Montreal for Montreal's 1st- and 2nd-round picks in 2010 (27th and 57th overall).

... 780+68=848 for 680+330=1010 ...

Chicago traded its 1st-round pick in the 2010 Entry Draft (30th overall) to NY Islanders for the Islanders' 2nd-round pick in 2010 (35th overall) and San Jose's 2nd-round pick in 2010 (previously acquired, 58th overall).

... 620 for 550+320=870

Columbus traded picks #16 and #77 in the 2009 Entry Draft to NY Islanders for picks #26 #37 #62 and #92 in 2009.

... 1000+205=1205 for 700+530+284+132=1646 ...

Minnesota traded pick #12 in the 2009 Entry Draft to NY Islanders for picks #16 #77 and #182 in 2009.

... 1200 for 1000+205+19=1224 ...

Anaheim traded pick #21 in the 2009 Entry Draft to Columbus for picks #26 and #37 in 2009.

... 800 for 700+530=1230 ...

Calgary traded pick #20 in the 2009 Entry Draft to New Jersey for picks #23 and #84 in 2009.

... 850 for 760+170=930 ...

Detroit traded pick #29 in the 2009 Entry Draft to Tampa Bay for picks #32 and #75 in 2009.

... 640 for 590+210=800 ...

Last edited:

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
I like how the OP finishes the 1st paragraph saying he'd look awesome with Hall and Ebs and then starts the next paragraph by saying that he essentially knows nothing about Strome. Following the hype for all the Cs on the Oilers board much?

MPStoEberletoHall*

I like how the OP finishes the 1st paragraph saying he'd look awesome with Hall and Ebs and then starts the next paragraph by saying that he essentially knows nothing about Strome. Following the hype for all the Cs on the Oilers board much?

What guy with 95 points in 58 games wouldn't look good between them?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I read somewhere a few months ago that maybe Dustin Brown is a good comparable but, for whatever reason, he reminds me of Patrice Bergeron. Not sure why and I've only seen him a few times, so I could be way off.

Brown is a terrible comparison. I like the Weiss comparison someone made earlier.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think Ryan Strome will be the steal of this draft. He's the youngest guy in the draft and has been rising dramatically all season. He's the 2nd out of all forwards in the draft in PPG (1.6ish behind Couturier's 1.7ish.) He's defensively responsible and he's pretty feisty. On top of being a great playmaker and having a laser shot he also has the ability to really make defencemen look foolish on his own.

I think he could have the highest upside of any player in the draft.

No, he's not. Strome's b-day is 7/11/93 and the age cutoff for this draft is 9/15/93. He's obviously one of the younger players in the draft but there has to be quite a few eligible players who are younger. One off the top of my head that just barely made the cutoff for this draft is Duncan Siemens - DOB of 9/7/93.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No, he's not. Strome's b-day is 7/11/93 and the age cutoff for this draft is 9/15/93. He's obviously one of the younger players in the draft but there has to be quite a few eligible players who are younger. One off the top of my head that just barely made the cutoff for this draft is Duncan Siemens - DOB of 9/7/93.

I meant of the top prospects, my bad.

Anyway, I really feel like whoever gets Strome is getting a real gem of a player. He's developing so quickly and has been playing probably the most consistent offensive hockey out of any of the top prospects. He's only behind Couts for PPG among the top players, and I think he has the most potential upside of any player in the draft this year.

So what do I think he'll become? A 1st line centre and with the best career of the draft.

Again, I'm not saying that this is set in stone or that it will happen, but it's what I think.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well, most people already know how I feel about Strome, but it's come out lately that supposedly at least 2 of the Sens scouts have Strome #1 overall in the draft. Just something to think about.

He's coming to Ottawa to play against the 67s on Friday and I'll be at the game so I'll try and give a more in depth analysis of his talent. But I wouldn't be upset if the Sens took him #1 overall...I feel like he's going to be the best player out of the draft.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
I'm also high on Strome and don't get why he doesn't get as much love as the top4. Hightlight after highlight, and he has also shown that he can fight if it is necessary. Not sure how his defensive game is though.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Well, most people already know how I feel about Strome, but it's come out lately that supposedly at least 2 of the Sens scouts have Strome #1 overall in the draft. Just something to think about.

He's coming to Ottawa to play against the 67s on Friday and I'll be at the game so I'll try and give a more in depth analysis of his talent. But I wouldn't be upset if the Sens took him #1 overall...I feel like he's going to be the best player out of the draft.

Not that I dont believe its true, but do you have a source?

Also as the Isles seem to be rising through the standings and Strome becomes a possible option, what really separates him from the top 4.

He seems to be racking up the points. Why is he a tier 2 prospect in this draft? Is his skating a concern?

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that I dont believe its true, but do you have a source?

Also as the Isles seem to be rising through the standings and Strome becomes a possible option, what really separates him from the top 4.

He seems to be racking up the points. Why is he a tier 2 prospect in this draft? Is his skating a concern?

http://www.senschirp.ca/

Check the comments for his most recent update.

I don't know why he's tier 2...maybe because this is only his second season in the OHL? He's just so good. So dynamic. His skating is phenomenal definitely not a concern.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I'm also high on Strome and don't get why he doesn't get as much love as the top4. Hightlight after highlight, and he has also shown that he can fight if it is necessary. Not sure how his defensive game is though.

Because it's harder to judge a player solely on one great season. He hasn't had the benefit of playing 2 junior seasons as 17 and 18 year olds as the other top players. RNH is the only player considered in the top 4 and is a 17 year old in his draft year. But he put up a much more impressive season as a 16 year old last year than Strome, which is why he's getting much love these days.

4thliner*

People like to say how Nugen-Hopkins is the most purely talented player in the draft, he might be more 'shifty' that Strome but there is no way he is better imaginative highlight reel guy than Strome. Strome is the more talented of the 2 when it comes to goal scoring and one-on-one hands down.

This is the kind of player in couple of years if he rounds out his game in the defensive end has a HUGE upside at the NHL level were fans come out to see offensive magicians. Very exciting player.

I would not be shocked if he breaks into the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad