RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Hard to tell with players who suddenly risen dramatically their draft year.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

that's what I was about to propose

by the NFL trade value chart, it would be fair

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

It's much different though...

In the NHL the top end of the crop is almost guaranteed to play in the NHL while even the 10-30 guys are almost gambles.

In the NFL the transition game is very simple and pretty much all players rounds 1-4 make it their first season.

A top 5 pick will not be moved for other picks unless it's a good deep draft.

Usually high-end picks get moved for proven players.

JSilvius*

Doesn't work as well for hockey due to the sheer number of positions available in football. Assigning slightly arbitrary value to draft slots also assumes that every draft year produces the same level of talent. It's a quick reference tool, but even NFL management types feel that the value chart is a bit outdated now.

Personally would be surprised if #20+31 moved you into the top 8. The Islanders did a couple moves to trade up from #26 to #12 in 2009. That's probably the closest recent example. Might be more plausible to find somebody picking #12-15 that is missing a 2nd rounder, then trade up again.

I agree, 20 + 31 + Cogliano isn't even close to getting a top 10 pick. It doesn't work like that in hockey. Teams have to give up an arm and a leg to trade up just 3 or 4 spots.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I agree, 20 + 31 + Cogliano isn't even close to getting a top 10 pick. It doesn't work like that in hockey. Teams have to give up an arm and a leg to trade up just 3 or 4 spots.

Not even close to getting to the top 10? I'm pretty sure that package would get right to 10, but not much higher.

It was only a couple years ago we (Oilers) traded 30 + 36 to get to 21. So, 20 + 31 alone should get to around 14, and if a team likes Cogs and thinks they can really use him, I would say to pick 10 or 11.

Defensive Forward

Aug 5, 2010
Ontario
Last year I watched a game between Plymouth and London and Seguin completely dominated the Knights. I had never seen an individual performance like it in my life. I watched Plymouth play Kitchener a couple days later and he dominated them too.

When I saw Seguin I knew he WOULD be a great NHLer.

When I saw Strome I saw a great junior player who had the POTENTIAL to be a great NHL player.

I see them as comparable players in a sense but I think Strome might be a poor man's Tyler Seguin.

Don't flame me for this, I have admittedly only seen Strome 2-3 times, but he did not wow me like Seguin did.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Last year I watched a game between Plymouth and London and Seguin completely dominated the Knights. I had never seen an individual performance like it in my life. I watched Plymouth play Kitchener a couple days later and he dominated them too.

When I saw Seguin I knew he WOULD be a great NHLer.

When I saw Strome I saw a great junior player who had the POTENTIAL to be a great NHL player.

I see them as comparable players in a sense but I think Strome might be a poor man's Tyler Seguin.

Don't flame me for this, I have admittedly only seen Strome 2-3 times, but he did not wow me like Seguin did.

It's about projection, not the fact that Seguin dominated games last year and Strome hasn't (while you've been in attendance) this year.

Not an attack against you, just sayin.

Ceekay

May 6, 2009
Ottawa
anybody else can comment on the comparison?

Having seen both in their draft year, Seguin is def. a better prospect. Just much more dynamic and dangerous.

Strome is def. more of a playmaker than a scorer -- he likes to slow down and dangle/dish a bit in the high slot (kind of like the way Spezza does).

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
As an Oiler fan, I would do whatever I could to nab both Larsson & Strome. Offering up a combination of Hemsky, LA's pick, our 31st pick, Cogliano and/or Omark.

*Disclaimer* I'm not saying I'd offer all of those pieces for that pick, but I would put those all in play to try and land the pick needed (approx. 5th-7th overall).

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I don't like Strome as a prospect in the same category as Seguin. However I can see the comparison, similar styles although Seguin has more of a nose for the net.

One thing I do love about Strome's game however, is that he is remarkable at changing paces. It seems like he can go from 0-60 and back down to 0 with very little effort.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan, I would do whatever I could to nab both Larsson & Strome. Offering up a combination of Hemsky, LA's pick, our 31st pick, Cogliano and/or Omark.

*Disclaimer* I'm not saying I'd offer all of those pieces for that pick, but I would put those all in play to try and land the pick needed (approx. 5th-7th overall).

I'd rather grab Couturier and Siemens. #sizehardon

:laugh:

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Similar games, pretty good comparison. Seguin does everything better with the exception of maybe vision/play making.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
No way Edmonton takes him 1 or 2... And I can't see a way Edmonton gets up to ~7 to draft Strome. Using LA's 1st and the 31st pick (IMO) isn't enough to jump ~15 spots.

I don't know...in a supposedly weak draft year, it might be. There's gotta be one team in the 5-10 range willing to go for quantity.

Of course, maybe a lottery team jumps at him like CBJ jumped at Johansen at #4 in this past draft.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

If LA's pick is in the 15-20 range, the only piece that you mentioned that will get us into the 6/7/8 hole is Hemsky. Even that's debatable based on what team is in that position. I'd much rather just take Mark McNeil in the 15-ish range (6'2 205lb Edmonton boy RH shooting C).

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
No way Edmonton takes him 1 or 2... And I can't see a way Edmonton gets up to ~7 to draft Strome. Using LA's 1st and the 31st pick (IMO) isn't enough to jump ~15 spots.

LA could drop as low as 14th overall in the draft this year. I'd say 14th + 31st + something minor should get them in the top 10.

Seguins Dragon*

Really? A lot of us think he's looking like he's going to be a better goal-scorer.

I see Seguin as a 30-40 goals and 30-40 assists at his peak.

He has slick passing... but his shot..... laser show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad