RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People like to say how Nugen-Hopkins is the most purely talented player in the draft, he might be more 'shifty' that Strome but there is no way he is better imaginative highlight reel guy than Strome. Strome is the more talented of the 2 when it comes to goal scoring and one-on-one hands down.

This is the kind of player in couple of years if he rounds out his game in the defensive end has a HUGE upside at the NHL level were fans come out to see offensive magicians. Very exciting player.

I would not be shocked if he breaks into the top 4.

I've said it many times, but I think that Strome is the most talented player in this draft and that he'll have the best career in the NHL.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Isles fan here. The Isles have tried out a number of "offensive magicians" with youtube highlight goals (Shremp/Nillson/Tambellini). They were all great in the shootouts too, but their stats were not special at the NHL level. Strome being an "offensive magician" is not enough to make him a top NHL player. I was intrigued by him with the Isles drifting towards the #5 spot but this thread didn't sell me.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What intrigues me about Strome is his slap shot. Its not the most useful tool for a forward unless they play the point but it can be deadly if it can effectively be used as a one timer (ala Stamkos, Heatley). So far, from what I've seen, Strome needs to take his sweet time getting them off and he usually lets them rip from the left half boards, somewhat like Robbie Schremp back in junior (Schremp seemed to rip them from everywhere though). He won't get away with it in the NHL but if he can work on his hand eye and use it the same way Stamkos can in a PP scheme, he'd be worthy of a high pick in this draft.

This is where you'd love to have an on ice combine to test this type of stuff!

Can anybody who watches him regularly tell me if he can get off one timers quickly and with the same velocity as his big clappers?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ummm...no...

If I'm mistaken I apologize.

But on that note, still, it's kind of weird that you pop into every RNH topic to talk him up, but you hound me about being high on Strome. I guess the only prospects people are allowed to be fans of are the most hyped ones?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If I'm mistaken I apologize.

But on that note, still, it's kind of weird that you pop into every RNH topic to talk him up, but you hound me about being high on Strome. I guess the only prospects people are allowed to be fans of are the most hyped ones?

Just messing with ya buddy. I love Strome too. I don't love him as much as you, but still.

I have been talking up Schenn a little bit in that one thread dedicated to him in this section, like last week or something. But that's just because he has been making his WHL opposition his ***** the last month and a half.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I thought this said "Official Ryan Stone thread" and I almost threw my laptop off the wall in anger that Ryan Stone is A) still considered a prospect and B) is deserving of any attention. Oh and C) Didn't suck massive balls.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just messing with ya buddy. I love Strome too. I don't love him as much as you, but still.

I have been talking up Schenn a little bit in that one thread dedicated to him in this section, like last week or something. But that's just because he has been making his WHL opposition his ***** the last month and a half.

Schenn has been ridiculous this year. If he can bring that to the NHL with him it would be cool to watch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Schenn has been ridiculous this year. If he can bring that to the NHL with him it would be cool to watch.

To be honest, I don't really see him being a dominant first liner in the NHL like he is in the Dub. I do see a very well rounded option as a 2nd line center. Plays the PK, plays physical, can scrap if needed, takes big draws, and of course, can be a good 70-80 point scorer.

Seems to be like a great compliment to what the Kings have in Kopitar.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Another factor we can argue with in the STROME v. RNH debate is the apparent depth weakness of WHL goalis vs, the deoth of OHL goaltending --there are simply a lot more better save %'s in the OHL leading goalie group vs. WHL leading goalie group this year-PLUS take the WHL leader KUEMPER and the OHL leader VISINTIN out of each mix and the conclusion is that STROME faces better goaltending than does RNH ..and STILL RNH trails STROME in goalscoring (30 in 59 for Strome;23 in 63 for RNH )---so you must question RNH on goal scoring ability...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Another factor we can argue with in the STROME v. RNH debate is the apparent depth weakness of WHL goalis vs, the deoth of OHL goaltending --there are simply a lot more better save %'s in the OHL leading goalie group vs. WHL leading goalie group this year-PLUS take the WHL leader KUEMPER and the OHL leader VISINTIN out of each mix and the conclusion is that STROME faces better goaltending than does RNH ..and STILL RNH trails STROME in goalscoring (30 in 59 for Strome;23 in 63 for RNH )---so you must question RNH on goal scoring ability...

Your off the wall opinions wear me out.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I've said it many times, but I think that Strome is the most talented player in this draft and that he'll have the best career in the NHL.

Well...Then it's official.

Seriously, I find the most useful posts are when people aren't emotional and don't make sweeping claims, but rather simply provide and objective viewpoint on a player. When I read statements like...

• "There's no question..."
  • "He's Definitely..."
  • "It's a certainty..."

...I usually disregard that post because I find that the more emotional a post is, the less factual it is...And I'm looking for facts.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Strome is having a similar season to Seguin's last year except Seguin had more goals, Strome more assists. Strome doesn't quite have THAT much help as Seguin did either and with this year being a weaker draft year than last year, I wouldn't be surprised if Strome goes top 5.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Well...Then it's official.

Seriously, I find the most useful posts are when people aren't emotional and don't make sweeping claims, but rather simply provide and objective viewpoint on a player. When I read statements like...

• "There's no question..."
  • "He's Definitely..."
  • "It's a certainty..."

...I usually disregard that post because I find that the more emotional a post is, the less factual it is...And I'm looking for facts.

Without question, the Islanders are certainly going to end up with Ryan Strome because he simply is the best fit for the Isles!!

Now stop trolling these Prospect threads and get back over to the Islanders board where you belong!! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad