RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I've said this on the Panthers board.. He skates like Jeff Skinner, balance-wise, last game he got bumped to his knees and popped back up still retained momentum and got right to the net for a chance.. In OT, IDK if there is a highlight of it, but he grabbed the puck in front of his own net and took the puck wide and got around the whole team, ended up with a half breakaway when he got behind the d about 3 feet over the defensive blue line.

His speed is really amazing, it seems like every time he touched the puck there was a rush coming into the zone or some kind of play was being made.. I had him around 6-8 on our prospect chart in the preseason, but after watching him play I'd put him in our top 3... Probably after Huberdeau and Bjugstad, before Howden, Petrovic, Shore, Matheson, Robak but who knows.. This kid may be the best of all our prospects. I cannot wait to see him at the WJC's..

Good post

Very rare that a player makes something happen on almost every shift, but he does it. His compete level makes even the most competitive players look a step off in that department. I have seen both Oshie and RG play inline and I can say that Rocco reminds me of Oshie a ton as far as his "get after it" ability and I might even give the edge to RG. Can't beat having a high skilled player on your team who plays as if every shift is the last shift of their season. I wouldn't bet against Rocco not making the NHL.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Good post

Very rare that a player makes something happen on almost every shift, but he does it. His compete level makes even the most competitive players look a step off in that department. I have seen both Oshie and RG play inline and I can say that Rocco reminds me of Oshie a ton as far as his "get after it" ability and I might even give the edge to RG. Can't beat having a high skilled player on your team who plays as if every shift is the last shift of their season. I wouldn't bet against Rocco not making the NHL.

Ya, I agree. I cannot wait for him to be a Panther..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
there's been alot of hype about Grimaldi's play early on this year on the Panthers board. looking for some unbiased opinions of some people here who have seen him play....what do you think of him? is he really that impressive of an offensive talent?

I watch most of North Dakota's games on tv, and he's easily been one of their best players so far. Uses his speed well and makes things happen in the offensive zone. Has been a fun player to watch.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Gerbe is probably a good comparison, although Grimaldi is even more skilled and is a better skater. That said, it will probably be his drive and determination (and faith....j/k!) that gets him to the next level. If he can navigate the problem areas in the NHL he could eventually secure a spot in the Panthers top six.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
I hope he makes the U.S. world junior team, because he would look great on a line with Galchenyuk and J.T. Miller.

Pretty much a guarantee barring injury.

Very skilled all around. Great speed and acceleration. Owns the neutral zone. It's fun to watch him slingshot out of his end and blow past everyone. He's 5'6", but about 5'0" while skating. He's gritty, doesn't care that he is smaller than everyone else. He has a low wide stance and it makes him hard to knock off the puck. Great hands. Good vision. Unselfish, but not too unselfish, shows good instincts on when to shoot and when to move the puck. He has a good quick release. His shot velocity could improve. For a little guy he has a goal scorers instinct around the net. He seems to sneak into scoring opportunities around the net with great timing. He appears to be good in his own end too.

He will make the NHL. I think Gerbe is good comparison. Rocco is quicker, faster, and all around more talented.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Eliteprospects listed him as 5'8". This is a mistake? An he's really 5'6"?

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
How about his comparisons with another undersized prospect Sergei Tolchinsky?
I ask those who have seen both enough time.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've seen him in person quite a bit. He is a long shot to have any sort of career in the NHL.

A long shot???

He is bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive and more skilled than Gerbe............what league does gerbe play in again? :sarcasm:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
All the weights I've seen for him put him at 165+, which is straight up tanky for a guy who's somewhere between 5'6-5'8 (and probably on the lower end).

Good luck finding an accurate source on Grimaldi's size. The only thing that can be confirmed is the numerous reports of him being very strong and powerfully built for his size.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
A long shot???

He is bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive and more skilled than Gerbe............what league does gerbe play in again? :sarcasm:

Sorry, he's not bigger than Gerbe. Sure he may be 1 inch shorter, but Gerbe has atleast 10 pounds on Grimaldi. Gerbe is certainly one of Buffalo's most aggressive players, not sure what Sabres games you are watching.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Sorry, he's not bigger than Gerbe. Sure he may be 1 inch shorter, but Gerbe has atleast 10 pounds on Grimaldi. Gerbe is certainly one of Buffalo's most aggressive players, not sure what Sabres games you are watching.

I like Gerbe so hold off on the attack. Grimaldi is definitely superior to Gerbe at the same age in every way including size. I wasn't calling Gerbe passive by any means but Grimaldi attacks the net a little more than Gerbe did at the same age.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I like Gerbe so hold off on the attack. Grimaldi is definitely superior to Gerbe at the same age in every way including size. I wasn't calling Gerbe passive by any means but Grimaldi attacks the net a little more than Gerbe did at the same age.

Not attacking either, didn't mean it that way. Gerbe is playing with men at his size, Grimaldi is not. Grimaldi will have the same challenged making the NHL as Gerbe did, simple as that.

IkeaMonkey*

Not attacking either, didn't mean it that way. Gerbe is playing with men at his size, Grimaldi is not. Grimaldi will have the same challenged making the NHL as Gerbe did, simple as that.

Grimaldi is not playing with the same sized players Gerbe is? LOL, what?

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND

NCAA has guys that are 23-24 years old. Not exactly children. With Rocco's style of play and mentality, I don't see his size hindering him.

I don't care what game day programs or the internet says. Rocco is 5'6".

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

In an overarching sense, likely not. Average size, as well as fitness level, would be higher in the NHL. There's also the very important fact that NHL players are better defensively than amateur players, so a smaller player is more likely to encounter physical contact at the pro level.

Just because Grimaldi is viewed as being currently better than Gerbe was at the same age, does not automatically mean he'll translate to the NHL. Nothing is a given, and that goes doubly for smaller players, regardless of how much better they seem than analogous players at the same age.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Average NHL sized player is ~6'1", 202lbs. Average NCAA D1 player is ~6'0", 189lbs. (just taking the median).

Grown-ups, but NHL's in another weightclass compared to just about any other league in the world, NCAA included.

IkeaMonkey*

Average NHL sized player is ~6'1", 202lbs. Average NCAA D1 player is ~6'0", 189lbs. (just taking the median).

Grown-ups, but NHL's in another weightclass compared to just about any other league in the world, NCAA included.

So...an inch and 13 lbs difference...on average...

Not much different at all.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
There are reasons he might not translate well to the NHL, but the size of his opponents isn't one of them. If you're 5'6", what do you care if your opponent is an inch taller and 13 lbs heavier on average? They are still a lot bigger than you either way. There is less clutching and grabbing in the NHL, and I can't prove it, but I'd be willing to bet there is less hitting as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad