RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Grimaldi

Here's my take:

For all of the stat conversion questions about the NAHL and the USHL: Yes, the USHL is a more difficult league to play in, but it's not nearly as drastic as those out here are making it out to be. From each league's inception until 2010, on average, USHL players have projected roughly 13% higher than NAHL players with identical statistics. So, does it make a fairly significant difference when comparing NAHL players to USHL players, absolutely. Does it make up for the difference between Grimaldi and Kane? No. Not even close. However, if you do compare teammates, they do at this point seem to favor Kane. Again, i don't think that accounts for the difference between the two. Ultimately, if you're going to compare the two in US Juniors when Kane was 16/17 and Grimaldi was 17/18 based on the raw numbers (which can be hard to find correctly split), you would say that Kane was roughly twice as valuable in the NAHL as Grimaldi was in the USHL after removing the difference between the two leagues. In their non-USHL/NAHL U-18 schedules, Kane comes out about 15% ahead of Grimaldi. Add it all up and Kane comes out about 60% ahead of Grimaldi. But in the end, we should be using Grimaldi's 2009-10 numbers and comparing those to Kane's 2005-06 numbers, not using Grimaldi's 2010-11 numbers. If you use Grimaldi's 2009-10 (U-18 USDP and USHL only) numbers, Kane comes out about 155% ahead of Grimaldi at the same age.

In other words, the two really aren't comparable talents, and if they were, Grimaldi would (like samsonov) most likely been a top 10 pick regardless of his height. As it is, his value is fairly strong for a 17 year old hockey player, just not Patrick Kane strong. To Grimaldi's credit, if you factored out the difference in teammates, that gap between the two would probably shrink fairly significantly, but not more than 20 or 30 percent.

So i think the difference in value is a big reason why teams could not justify the risks involved with Grimaldi. While i am still scratching my head with some of the selections in the 2011 entry draft, I do understand the GMs on this one. The odds of success are not great, and when it came down to it, i dont think any of the GMs wanted to be the guy that drafted the 5'6" player that busted in the first round. It doesn't mean that Grimaldi has 32nd overall talent, but it does mean that he has the 32nd best balance between talent and likelyhood of success.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Rocco Grimaldi to the WHL?

From Twitter:

RGrimaldi23 Rocco Grimaldi
Many different choices, but I'm going with the Dub. The Dub is the best fit for me #TheDub

Could it be so? He would be off to Portland if he is indeed heading north.

HopefulCoach

Oct 31, 2006
how do CHL teams go about getting the rights to these players that are originally committed elsewhere?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The import draft, isn't it?

Anyways, good news for Portland. If they get Johansen back they should almost be assured a Mem.Cup visit, even if they lose him though Grimaldi should help off-set the loss.

Milan the God*

Portland looks really good. I think Johansen will be in the NHL next season, though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
how do CHL teams go about getting the rights to these players that are originally committed elsewhere?

United States players alongside Canadians are chosen in each league's draft. Anyone outside of these countries are available via import draft.

Hard to believe that 300 kids go each year in the OHL draft and nobody thought to take a flyer on him.

He's only eligibly to play in the dub because he was born in California.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa

They draft them in their normal draft when the players haven't decided yet which route to take yet! Probably all of the US-18 team is probably drafted by the CHL

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
United States players alongside Canadians are chosen in each league's draft. Anyone outside of this countries are available via import draft.

He's only eligibly to play in the dub because he was born in California.

He played his minor midget year in Michigan, that's OHL territory.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
From the link posted:

The Portland Winterhawks acquired Grimaldi's CHL rights from the Vancouver Giants during the 2010-11 season but few thought they'd be able to successfully bring the player north.

Kershaw

Portland???

Bartschi, Johansen, Nino, Rattie, Ross and add Grimaldi????

That's stacked.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Re: Eligibility.

Each league has a draft of eligible players. A player has to pass through two CHL Drafts without being drafted. After that, they are a free agent, and eligible to play in any league in the CHL.

Examples are Ottawa's Claude Giroux, who was undrafted in the OHL and played in the QMJHL, as well as Chris DiDominico.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com

CHL leagues can draft anyone from their region whether they have a NCAA commitment or not. A NCAA commitment/scholarship isnt a legal contract and thats why you see players backout all the time because they have the right not to attend the school if they don't want to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad