RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I hear you but the only reason that they were able to get away with this is they came up in a time when combine results weren't public knowledge. Briere is absolutely tiny, it is plain as day that he is under 5'10"........

P.S. the arguement is already won.......he just doesn't know it yet. To call Grimaldi a longshot is nothing short of asinine. If he said that Grimaldi isn't a sure bet I could accept that but a longshot???

I am quite open minded and will accept anyone that says Grimaldi is a longshot, but with the proper reasoning. Making an argument based on JUST height, is not a legitimate argument IMO.

However, if one said that his lack of size causes him to be weak along the boards, unable to create plays, and to make constant giveaways to bigger opponents, that I will accept 100%.

I have however not seen any argument of the sort. All I have read so far is "5-5? No way!"

Because I tell you, even a 6-5 guy can be weak along the boards and unable to create plays. Being 5-5 makes it harder to do those things, but players like Marchand and Tootoo have proven that height does not mean one cannot train to be physical and agitating. This is the reason I keep asking him for a scouting report from his own eyes. I want to know what this poster seems to know.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I am quite open minded and will accept anyone that says Grimaldi is a longshot, but with the proper reasoning. Making an argument based on JUST height, is not a legitimate argument IMO.

However, if one said that his lack of size causes him to be weak along the boards, unable to create plays, and to make constant giveaways to bigger opponents, that I will accept 100%.

I have however not seen any argument of the sort. All I have read so far is "5-5? No way!"

Because I tell you, even a 6-5 guy can be weak along the boards and unable to create plays. Being 5-5 makes it harder to do those things, but players like Marchand and Tootoo have proven that height does not mean one cannot train to be physical and agitating. This is the reason I keep asking him for a scouting report from his own eyes. I want to know what this poster seems to know.

The truth is that Grimaldi was a consensus 1st rounder who fell to the 3rd pick of the second round. This fact in itself combined with the fact that he is only one year removed from that draft and hasn't dissapointed precludes him from being called a longshot. Anyone who has actually watched him play would be a fool to state as much.....unless of course, they have a pre-concieved bias against him due to their allegiance to their favourite team that happens to be a major rival of North Dakota :sarcasm: this would explain the lack of objective analysis in their arguement.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Not really sure where you are coming from now. Didn't say anything about Rocco or size or said that you could teach some tub of goo who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time to become elite. You said that one time slap shot and world class wrister was not teachable as if Stamkos didn't work his arse off to get where he is today.

Go to a stick and puck session in Toronto, Minnesota, Detroit, etc and watch what the kids are doing. You might notice what I notice every single time. The kids who spend the most time shooting are almost always the best shooters. The kids who spend their time in the neutral zone working on puckhandling are almost always the best puckhandlers. And another shocking revelation, the one's you see almost every time you are at the rink, are usually the best at it.

All people that work hard can shoot like Stamkos.

Agree or Disagree?

I coach little league. I will never tell any kid that they can be a star in their sport with a superior work ethic. I do that they can get a free education or a discounted one. Things like I said, fast vs slow twitch muscle. Spatial recognition etc... All things Stamkos has in perfect balance that when he worked hard made him that much better. If your model were true anyone coached and that worked out with, coach X would be an NHLer.

You thinik you teach someone to be like Gretzky? Just go over film and know how to make the perfect play in every situation. He had something going on in his brain. Somehting special that no one else had. No matter how hard, no one is going to be like that.

There is a level where hard work will pay off. I agree. But you have a max potential and not everyone has the same potential in any one area.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The truth is that Grimaldi was a consensus 1st rounder who fell to the 3rd pick of the second round. This fact in itself combined with the fact that he is only one year removed from that draft and hasn't dissapointed precludes him from being called a longshot. Anyone who has actually watched him play would be a fool to state as much.....unless of course, they have a pre-concieved bias against him due to their allegiance to their favourite team that happens to be a major rival of North Dakota :sarcasm: this would explain the lack of objective analysis in their arguement.

I feel the same about Rau and soon to be Gopher Cammarata. Try again.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

I think anyone is a longshot to reach the NHL in reality. Or to be a reagular. Wasn't Brendl, Skille, Picard, Thelen, Sanguinetti, O'Sullivan, Schremp , Pouliot, etc... all supposed to be stars. Not to mention the guys that were supposed to make and not be stars. But were at least 2nd/3rd liners.

We just eliminated a lot of people. Guys that tore up junior, the WJCs, hobey winners etc...

Lets not list all the little guys, but its a short;) list.

There are not a lot of guys with Rocco's size in the NHL.

add that into the equation.

Based off of pure numbers. He is a longshot.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I think anyone is a longshot to reach the NHL in reality. Or to be a reagular. Wasn't Brendl, Skille, Picard, Thelen, Sanguinetti, O'Sullivan, Schremp , Pouliot, etc... all supposed to be stars. Not to mention the guys that were supposed to make and not be stars. But were at least 2nd/3rd liners.

We just eliminated a lot of people. Guys that tore up junior, the WJCs, hobey winners etc...

Grimaldi is small, and I totally agree, it is a major flaw. There is a reason why was picked in the 2nd round rather than top 15. If he was 6-0, many would consider him to be a top 15 pick. So yes, size is a major flaw and a huge roadbump to overcome, 100% agree.

Being a smaller player means you are pushed around more easily if your height/weight ratio is the same as players 6-4 etc. It also implies your reach is shorter, and many times, easy to push around along the boards.

However, in Grimaldi's case, from reports given, he is an elite athlete and I use the elite because from reports by ISS and Luedeke, he is one of the strongest players pound-for-pound. If he isn't, I think your prediction will probably come true. However, he recognizes this problem, and is determined to fix it. That makes your prediction alittle more unclear.

Can he be a top line forward in the NHL? That is hard enough for an average sized forward, so I agree, its hard. But is it a longshot to at least consider the possibility of becoming a 2nd line forward or a Brad Marchand type of player?

My point is, Grimaldi has some very impressive tools to compensate for his short stature. Will it be hard road? Most definitely, probably harder and longer than most, because he will have to work harder than most. But he is a hardworker.

So I share your pessimistic view in that he needs to work more than then rest of his peers to just keep up, which is a hard thing to do. But I think we all should keep an open mind and not write him off so easily because he does have the skills and character to balance out his flaws.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

O'Sullivan and Schremp I can say at least do not have near the same drive and dedication as Grimaldi does.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Ryan Duncan 5'7 170 best year in the WCHA at 21. Outscored Oshie and Toews. Never got better, not even in AHL.

David Spehar 5'8 170. Best year at 18. Outscored Erik Rasmussen and Wyat Smith. Spehar never played past college.

Anthony Maiani 5'7, Best year at 19. Led team in socing. Next year a year older, 4th on team, past by teamates.

Garret Roe 5'9 180. Started at 19 Point totals 45, 48, 49, 36. Never got any better after freshman year.

Ryan Lasch 5'9 175. Best year at 20, tailed off after that.

Many more.

martin st. louis - sucked in calgary to the point where he got waived. one of the best in the nhl now.

steve sullivan - sucked in toronto. developed into a good player.

many more, i'm sure, just too lazy and don't care enough to disprove this asinine point

i have no problem if you think grimaldi is not nhl calibre because of he's just not an nhl caliber - thats your opinion. but to say someone can't develop as a player simply because they are fully developed physically is ridiculous.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Ryan Duncan 5'7 170 best year in the WCHA at 21. Outscored Oshie and Toews. Never got better, not even in AHL.

David Spehar 5'8 170. Best year at 18. Outscored Erik Rasmussen and Wyat Smith. Spehar never played past college.

Anthony Maiani 5'7, Best year at 19. Led team in socing. Next year a year older, 4th on team, past by teamates.

Garret Roe 5'9 180. Started at 19 Point totals 45, 48, 49, 36. Never got any better after freshman year.

Ryan Lasch 5'9 175. Best year at 20, tailed off after that.

Many more.

Duncan...he outscored Oshie and Toews because of Oshie and Toews. Duncan excelled at finding open ice because everyone was worried about the other two. Open ice isn't easy to find in the NHL. Also had no speed. He had obvious flaws and is why I said he didn't have much of a shot in the NHL after he left UND.

Roe and Lasch had much greater flaws and never had a chance past college. Didn't see enought of Maiani or Spehar to comment. In college you can be a one trick pony and get away with it. That's why you have to actually watch and not pay attention to statistics at the end of the game to determine if they can be a decent prospect. (Not singling out you, just everyone)

People can worry about Rocco's size all they want, it's natural. He uses it to his advantage. He's so fast and smart that he is hard to hit. I agree with the other UND guy. Most exciting/explosive (this doesn't mean best) player I have seen in college hockey. Been watching steady for 10 years or so.

He's not a guarantee to be a NHLer, but closer to a guarantee than a longshot.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I am so happy Florida picked him, mayfield was next to long island. I think everyone gets anxious the pick before your favorite team.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I played travel roller with Rocco for 2 years on the same team. This was 10 years ago but he always was a great guy and small as hell haha.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I played travel roller with Rocco for 2 years on the same team. This was 10 years ago but he always was a great guy and small as hell haha.

I was amazed how quickly he bounced back up after taking hits from guys like Nick Bjugstad whose 6'6 225. He's def. got a future.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I was amazed how quickly he bounced back up after taking hits from guys like Nick Bjugstad whose 6'6 225. He's def. got a future.

Unfortunately, that might not be enough to have a future in the NHL. The amount of players who don't make it to the NHL, let alone succeed in the NHL, due to a freak injury or being just too small is staggering.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Unfortunately, that might not be enough to have a future in the NHL. The amount of players who don't make it to the NHL, let alone succeed in the NHL, due to a freak injury or being just too small is staggering.

I don't know, I think today's NHL is a lot easier on the little guy than it used to be. Given all the new hitting rules and what not. Look at guys like Zuccarello/Conacher/Tyler Johnson etc. that are all starting to produce with no problems.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Last year I was in the same dorm building as him and ran into him a few times. We talked hockey and some other stuff. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Very approachable.

I hope he makes it.

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
So I saw Grimaldi is rated as an 8.0/D on HF...do you guys still think that's accurate? If you could change that rating, what would you change it to?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
So I saw Grimaldi is rated as an 8.0/D on HF...do you guys still think that's accurate? If you could change that rating, what would you change it to?

he's a really bona fide hit or miss, if he was 5-6 inches taller with the same skill level, he'd be a top5 player in that draft

whats left to see is if he can adapt to the bigger nhl

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
probably AHL, but i think there's no closed doors for the NHL though, if he's too good to be in the AHL during training camp, he'll play in the NHL

but he'll play top6 minutes in AHL which is probably better for him, while being an early call-up incase of injury

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
yeah grimaldi won't probably play that many games in the nhl but he's definitely one of the first guys to get called up depending on who's injured. i'm hoping he turns into a soild top6 winger in 1-2 seasons. he has the potential thats for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad