RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
It seems pretty underwhelming that Michkov is only 5th on his junior team in playoff ppg. You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone, at least on their own team, as a 17 year old playing junior.
I find your choice of statistics somewhat selective. I for one would prefer to look Michkov’s regular season PPG. It appears he led the MHL
as a 16 year old in PPG (1.82) by a hefty margin over 20 year old Likhachyov (1.45).

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
I personally don't like Michkov's game after the WJC. Magic has gone from it. Yeah, he's still productive, but it almost looks like he's afraid of playing his game. And I'm afraid it's because of coaches. People say Filatov is good, but I don't like the way the team plays under him. They win because they have so much more talent, than other teams and not because of good system.

Tankov plays on the 4th line, and he would probably be top6 on every other MHL team. And they have Buchelnikov injured.
Thank you for the honest assessment. Very refreshing.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I personally don't like Michkov's game after the WJC. Magic has gone from it. Yeah, he's still productive, but it almost looks like he's afraid of playing his game. And I'm afraid it's because of coaches. People say Filatov is good, but I don't like the way the team plays under him. They win because they have so much more talent, than other teams and not because of good system.

Tankov plays on the 4th line, and he would probably be top6 on every other MHL team. And they have Buchelnikov injured.
Michkov is the most dangerous player on the ice in pretty much every game. He is simply still too slow to separate himself from his opponents, especially in the playoffs where all teams use their best/older players from the VHL/KHL. That's imo his only weakness so far.

Filatov is lucky that he has by far the best roster available. He completely destroyed the power play with his umbrella. This looks incredibly haphazard even at 5v3.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
It seems pretty underwhelming that Bedard is only 4th in league scoring PPG (Michkov is of course 1st with at least 10 games played). You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone…

Btw half of Russias U20 Roster is now playing for SKA. With Khus in Michkov isn't even on the 1st PP. With the KHL/VHL editions he is playing 2nd/3rd line minutes now, enough to lead the playoffs in goals.
Connor Mcdavid was third on his team in points, second in ppg, on his own team! Think everything worked out fine for him. That said, even with the wait, I still take Michkov second in the draft.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The way I'd see it is, most of these prospects get rushed in NHL too early. Even McDavid might have benefited from a season or two in NHL, as would most others, even if they're good enough for NHL. I think that it'll benefit Michkov in the long run, and the team will have his rights for a very long time anyway. Furthermore, a team that won the lottery is probably a lower end team not looking to compete in the next couple years anyway.

As such, he should pretty much be picked right where he'd deserve to via talent.
Saying McDavid might have benefited being in the AHL for a season or TWO when he scored 48 in 44 and then Led the entire league in scoring his second season is possibly the most ridiculous comment I’ve seen on this entire site

deejb

Nov 12, 2016

The goalies learning:laugh: You can say a lot about Michov's goalscoring and points, but what stands out even more in my opinion is his smooth hands and hockey IQ. Don't like hype him to much but he sure looks like next big Russian hockey artist.

Matvei is learning too :) Seriously, hockey IQ is his best asset.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Michkovs season is unfortunately over, let's see how it looks in numbers:

Total Points U18 with at least 10 games played KHL all time
Total Points U18 with at least 10 games played KHL all time.PNG

His 5 points in 13 games are good for 7th all time.

PPG U18 with at least 10 games played KHL all time
PPG U18 with at least 10 games played KHL all time.PNG

His PPG is the highest for under 18 ever. But at the end of the day his KHL stint was to short, the last games he only played few minutes as the 13th forward.

PPG with at least 10 games played MHL
PPG with at least 10 games played MHL.PNG

He totally dominated the MHL and was head and shoulders above 20/19 year olds, already NHL drafted guys and top prospects like Yurov or Buchelnikov.

PPG with at least 10 games played MHL all time
PPG with at least 10 games played MHL all time.PNG

His PPG is good for 6th in MHL history. He is by far the youngest on the list.

PPG U18 with at least 10 games played MHL all time
PPG U18 with at least 10 games played MHL all time.PNG

As one could imagine Michkov set the MHL benchmark for undrafted/U18 prospects. He simply destroyed Kucherovs 17 year old season what was his draft year btw so he was half a year older. As this is/was the draft year for every other player on this list except Pilipenko and Yurov.

Lets take a look on his playoffs

Total Points MHL Playoffs
Total Points MHL Playoffs.PNG

PPG
with at least 10 games played MHL Playoffs
PPG with at least 10 games played MHL Playoffs.PNG

He is 7th in total points and T-6 in PPG. Not quite the same results as in the regular season. But:

Goals MHL Playoffs
Goals MHL Playoff.PNG

He leads the playoffs in goals and if you think his goal totals are nothing:

Goals MHL Playoffs all time
total goals all time.PNG

With 13 goals he is 3rd all time in the MHL playoffs…

Yes, like with almost everybody his totals droped in the playoffs or other players who went hot about few weeks could score more, nevertheless I don’t agree that Michkovs play wasn’t as good as before. SKA is full of talent and at the point SKA Neva and the KHL team were out from the playoffs Michkov didn’t play more than a 2nd/3rd line player.

Ice Time SKA Varyagi
varyagi.PNG

SKA Playoffs
ska playoffs.PNG

He played the whole Season on SKAs 2nd line but 1st PP Unit. At the end he played with 7 already drafted prospects, on the 2nd PP, with a KHL regular in Khus, and a bunch of VHL Players who joined the team after they lost in the VHL playoffs. Right after he scored a hat trick his playing time fell due to the numerous additions of his usual time around 18/19 minutes to not even 16. Especially his usage and lost time on the PP were in my opinion the main reasons for the drop of in total points/ppg.

Btw the commentators in the MHL Finals were unsure who should win the MVP Krovyakov or Michkov. So they absolutely appreciated his achievements, even if the total numbers weren't that dominant at the first view.

All in all this was a dominant season and he met the expectations.

Last edited:

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Different player than Ovechkin of course. Smaller and with low centre of gravity, off-the-charts hockey sense (higher than Ovechkin's). More of a let-the-play-come-to-me kind of guy, but can score in highlight reel fashion too.
Kinda like patty kane

Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad