RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The top 5 leagues in the world are the NHL, KHL, AHL, SHL, and Liiga. The KHL is closer to Finnish Liiga in quality than it is the NHL.

Hopefully Michkov finds a way over before 20*******26.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
If you were an NHL Team, how early in the draft would you be willing to draft a Generational Talent who you have to wait 3 years before he joins your team?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If you were an NHL Team, how early in the draft would you be willing to draft a Generational Talent who you have to wait 3 years before he joins your team?

My only concern would be his actual desire to play in the NHL or not.

But Pens took Malkin 2nd OA and they had to wait 2 years to see him play, he joined in his 3rd elligible season.

If he's that good, and there's no other generational players in front of him, you take him and wait.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Top three picks for sure. Kid comes into the NHL at 22 instead of 19. Got him on his ELC for 22-24. That’s huge.

Reactions: CanuckCity

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well the transition might not be perfect, but I still think It's a strong league that deserves credit.

Also, Jaskin in another example of a bad transition. It's pretty much Cherry Picking.

I could cherry pick as well. Radulov and Dadonov (the 2nd time) were top KHLers and made relatively smooth transitions to become NHL Top Liners.

You are right Jaskin was cherry picking the poster could also have included other top 10 goal scorers of which 8 are obviously borderline NHL players at this point of their careers.

Goals
RankPlayerTeamGoals
1Dmitrij JaskinDynamo Moscow38
2Teemu HartikainenUfa28
3Stephane Da CostaKazan27
4Shane PrinceDynamo Minsk25
5Reid BoucherOmsk24
5Alexei MakeyevYekaterinburg24
7Justin DanforthPodolsk23
7Markus GranlundUfa23
7Nigel DawesKazan23
7Anton BurdasovSt. Petersburg23

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

In the 23 draft you take Bedard before him (the waiting) and Fantilli most likely as well, maybe even some other guys depends how guys develop in the next year and project as well as the situation with Russia to some degree...maybe hard to tell.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
The top 5 leagues in the world are the NHL, KHL, AHL, SHL, and Liiga. The KHL is closer to Finnish Liiga in quality than it is the NHL.

At the same time, though, you could argue the KHL is a different league.

It's a league of Players who don't belong in the NHL and want to make a good paycheck (Such as Corban Knight and Brian O'Neill) mixed with Genuinely talented Russian players who simply don't have the urge to play in the NHL. (Vadim Shipachyov and Nikolai Goldobin for example.)
KHL is barely better than SHL and that’s debateable as well.

While I do admit the KHL is not equal to the NHL, there are still plenty of NHL-Level Talents in the KHL.
The KHL is certainly more talented than the SHL and AHL atm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The way I'd see it is, most of these prospects get rushed in NHL too early. Even McDavid might have benefited from a season or two in NHL, as would most others, even if they're good enough for NHL. I think that it'll benefit Michkov in the long run, and the team will have his rights for a very long time anyway. Furthermore, a team that won the lottery is probably a lower end team not looking to compete in the next couple years anyway.

As such, he should pretty much be picked right where he'd deserve to via talent.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
In the 23 draft you take Bedard before him (the waiting) and Fantilli most likely as well, maybe even some other guys depends how guys develop in the next year and project as well as the situation with Russia to some degree...maybe hard to tell.
Russian situation if anything should make him to come earlier.
I still think he should be top 2 easily in the draft

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

It's hard to say, he and Bedard have been the frontrunners for the 23 draft for quite a while but Fantilli is coming on strong and the reality is that teams really covet centers over wingers all things being relatively equal.

I hope that he comes over right away then it will be a level playing field in terms of where he gets drafted but he is under contract and unless there is a firm commitment to come to the NHL right away I could see a team drafting Fantilli before him even if they were slightly higher on Mcihov.

Of course these guys have 14 more months to develop as well.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Even though I do this he's #2, it might not be easily. Fantilli plays center, is 5 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. Add on the KHL contract it could be very very close.

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
Best prospect in the draft. But I hope he stays in Russia for a good long time; same with other Russian prospects.
It seems pretty underwhelming that Michkov is only 5th on his junior team in playoff ppg. You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone, at least on their own team, as a 17 year old playing junior.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
i'm sure he will honor his contract with SKA and will play in the KHL till 2026 at the very least. It will be hilarious if he drops at the draft because of it

I'd say he's more likely to drop because of the ongoing *ahem* politics.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
It seems pretty underwhelming that Michkov is only 5th on his junior team in playoff ppg. You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone, at least on their own team, as a 17 year old playing junior.
You should watch a game, he's fun to watch. Then you will see his skill and why people think he has great potential. All matches from MHL are available on youtube :thumbu:

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Alex Ovechkin "only" scored 13 Goals in the KHL in his Draft Year and was still considered a Generational Talent.

You don't have to be the best Russian Non-NHL Player at 18 to be a Generational Talent.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
It seems pretty underwhelming that Bedard is only 4th in league scoring PPG (Michkov is of course 1st with at least 10 games played). You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone…

Btw half of Russias U20 Roster is now playing for SKA. With Khus in Michkov isn't even on the 1st PP. With the KHL/VHL editions he is playing 2nd/3rd line minutes now, enough to lead the playoffs in goals.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It seems pretty underwhelming that Bedard is only 4th in league scoring PPG (Michkov is of course 1st with at least 10 games played). You would think that a prospect of this hype would be head and shoulders above everyone…

Btw half of Russias U20 Roster is now playing for SKA. With Khus in Michkov isn't even on the 1st PP. With the KHL/VHL editions he is playing 2nd/3rd line minutes now, enough to lead the playoffs in goals.

I personally don't like Michkov's game after the WJC. Magic has gone from it. Yeah, he's still productive, but it almost looks like he's afraid of playing his game. And I'm afraid it's because of coaches. People say Filatov is good, but I don't like the way the team plays under him. They win because they have so much more talent, than other teams and not because of good system.

Tankov plays on the 4th line, and he would probably be top6 on every other MHL team. And they have Buchelnikov injured.

Last edited:

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Michkov proved that He is a true Star in the making. I can understand Bedard at this point but others in Front of him? I dont think so. But let's wait next Saison, So We know How good the players actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad