RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
They are 100% going to do that. All agreements are out the window with Russia.
If a player Russian player wants to sign with an NHL team, they will.
This.

It's one thing for some random Russians, but if Michkov has a contract and wants to leave it, NHL will absolutely agree. He's a star.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
They are 100% going to do that. All agreements are out the window with Russia.
If a player Russian player wants to sign with an NHL team, they will.

This.

It's one thing for some random Russians, but if Michkov has a contract and wants to leave it, NHL will absolutely agree. He's a star.
At least the current situation is still that NHL stated that a player should be free from his KHL contract to be able to sign.

Reactions: Sagikev

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Michkov is playing in the slot on the PP for several weeks now instead of his usual position on the right side. Does someone understand this? It’s clearly not a position to his strengths especially when he is a permanent threat the more time and space he has.
Bad coaching and not wanting to use the young player
classic mhl/khl

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
This reads like a KHL fan desperately clinging to his pearls.

Magnitogorsk literally tried to withhold Malkin's passport and he still ditched.
I wouldn't call myself a KHL fan, lol. Michkov just seems like a sensible kid and i find this notion of MIchkov ditching his contract with SKA and running away to NA moronic.
34501_original.jpg

Reactions: Tube Skates

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This reads like a KHL fan desperately clinging to his pearls.

Magnitogorsk literally tried to withhold Malkin's passport and he still ditched.

Can’t happen. The days of the NHL or KHL poaching players are over. The IIHF has tight control now.

Since the NHL isn’t party to the IIHF, USA Hockey and Hockey Canada basically act as the NHL’s agents for international transfers to North America. These 2 entities sign the transfer cards and thus have a vested interest in making sure everything is legal, or they will be held liable (punishment) by the IIHF for illegal signings.

Hypothetically I suppose the NHL could tell SKA and the IIHF to go screw themselves, then bring Michkov over early. But the NHL would also be throwing either USA Hockey or Hockey Canada under the bus in the process.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Can’t happen. The days of the NHL or KHL poaching players are over. The IIHF has tight control now.

Since the NHL isn’t party to the IIHF, USA Hockey and Hockey Canada basically act as the NHL’s agents for international transfers to North America. These 2 entities sign the transfer cards and thus have a vested interest in making sure everything is legal, or they will be held liable (punishment) by the IIHF for illegal signings.

Hypothetically I suppose the NHL could tell SKA and the IIHF to go screw themselves, then bring Michkov over early. But the NHL would also be throwing either USA Hockey or Hockey Canada under the bus in the process.
IIHF, you mean the entity that just removed Russia from every event?

If Michkov wants to come to NA at any point, they'll do it. It's his decision, there are no agreements anymore between the NHL and KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

If Michkov wants to come to NA at any point, they'll do it. It's his decision, there are no agreements anymore between the NHL and KHL.

There is still money though. His salary doesn't count against the cap untill he's 21. So if he's a star at age 18, he'll earn way more in KHL, than in NHL on the ELC contract.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
There is still money though. His salary doesn't count against the cap untill he's 21. So if he's a star at age 18, he'll earn way more in KHL, than in NHL on the ELC contract.
If they pay him like a star, sure. But his current contract was not that much compared to ELC?

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Without the foreign players in the KHL or international tournaments, it makes no sense for Michkov to play in Russia beyond next year. I'd appreciate him playing 23/24 in the NHL.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com

As I already mentioned in a reply to you their current position is that they won't. If for some reason you still don't believe me, you can read it here: Seravalli: NHL officially severs all ties, communication with Russia's KHL

The NHL notified the KHL that it “will continue to respect existing and future KHL contracts,” though it will no longer have the ability to verify contractual status directly.
In order to sign a player from the KHL, the interested NHL team must inquire with Central Registry to inquire if the last information available from the KHL demonstrates that the player is on an expiring KHL contract, and teams must produce “independent written evidence demonstrating that the player is entirely free of any and all potentially conflicting contractual obligations in the KHL for 2022-23 and beyond.”

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
He's lucky to play with Buchelnikov. What a stacked team.
He doesn't play with Buchelnikov except for a few seconds on the power play. But Michkov sometimes plays in the first power play unit, sometimes in the second.

Btw, also because I read that in the Bedard thread, for personal development I'm sure that Michkov would do better with Varyagi, i.e. with a much weaker team.

He or Demidov had all the confidence and freedom, playing on the first line and the first power play. Now one is already on vacation, and the other is playing on the second line and in the slot while man advantage, while some scrubs can hardly hold the puck.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Not at all, It makes perfect sense for the KHL to hold onto russian players as long as possible.
Yes, for the KHL. Not for Michkov. He will be a regular in the KHL next year. What reason should he have to stay in Russia beyond that?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If he starts earlier in the NHL, he will hit his second contract sooner, and if he is a star in the NHL by the time his second contract hits, he will be making $10m a year by age 21/22.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
This question will be relevant if he dominates in the KHL next year and wins the Gagarin Cup. I doubt this will be the case.
No, that's not the point. At least not in my eyes. The term to 2026 was very clear with regard to the OG 2026. With no international games, I don't see any reason to stay in Russia any longer than necessary. He will be the best player in the KHL by 2025 at the latest, no idea what that will bring him.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
No, that's not the point. At least not in my eyes. The term to 2026 was very clear with regard to the OG 2026. With no international games, I don't see any reason to stay in Russia any longer than necessary. He will be the best player in the KHL by 2025 at the latest, no idea what that will bring him.
I have always found this practice of giving priority to second-rate international tournaments over the domestic league as a complete nonsense. The NHL always craps all over them and the disparity between the teams adds another load to the top. Hoisting the white flag and embracing a farm league mentality is not an option, they should switch focus on the KHL.

Last edited:

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I have always found this practice of giving priority to second-rate international tournaments over the domestic league as a complete nonsense. The NHL always craps all over them and the disparity between the teams adds another load to the top. Hoisting the white flag is not an option, they should switch focus on the KHL.
As I said, I think the interests of the KHL and Michkovs only align up to a certain point. Playing an Ovechkin at 20/21 years in the KHL doesn't make much sense, does it? Regardless of whether he wins the Gagarin Cup or not. The only reason for me would be to take part at the OG, which will probably not be possible playing in the NHL.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
As I said, I think the interests of the KHL and Michkovs only align up to a certain point. Playing an Ovechkin at 20/21 years in the KHL doesn't make much sense, does it? Regardless of whether he wins the Gagarin Cup or not. The only reason for me would be to take part at the OG, which will probably not be possible playing in the NHL.
Michkov isn't a 40 years old veteran. He'll be pretty young when his contract with SKA ends. And like I said, the OG as a reason to stay is dumb, i hate this logic and find it perverse. If he dominates the league and there won't be any challenges for him there, then and only then the your point will be relevant.

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

The IIHF banning Russia for violating their rules of conduct just shows how serious they are.

And Bettman knows this. It’s why, like Caser’s link verifies, the NHL is still committed to respecting contracts.

Bettman knows well that if the NHL starts poaching players again:
A) USA Hockey and Hockey Canada are now negatively affected.
B) Somewhere, somehow, such actions are likely to come full-circle and bite them in the rear end (see Radulov situation).

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Has he ever actually expressed interest in the NHL? I have watched him from 4 yearsand I am afraid he will waste his youth in the KHL. He seems very commited to SKA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad