RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think the NHL-KHL agreement about contracts is already in the past, so he can just run away.

That's not how it works. There is no transfer agreement but Michkov still has a contractual obligation to his current club and will have to buy himself out if he wants to come over earlier.

Reactions: wetcoast

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
Michkov still has a contractual obligation to his current club
Yeah, like Mogilny, Fedorov, Malkin or Radulov in the other direction. So, what SKA and FHR can to do if at one moment he just doesn't come to the training camp and then shows up in North America? Kick him out of the national team?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah, like Mogilny, Fedorov, Malkin or Radulov in the other direction. So, what SKA and FHR can to do if at one moment he just doesn't come to the training camp and then shows up in North America? Kick him out of the national team?

The NHL and KHL have an agreement to honor each other's contracts. That means no NHL team will sign him while he is still under contract in the KHL. Mogilny, Fedorov and Malkin came over at a very different time. There was no KHL then. Radulov was under contract when he left for the KHL, but the current agreement was not yet in place. He's part of the reason why the leagues agreed to honor each other's contracts.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The NHL and KHL have an agreement to honor each other's contracts. That means no NHL team will sign him while he is still under contract in the KHL. Mogilny, Fedorov and Malkin came over at a very different time. There was no KHL then. Radulov was under contract when he left for the KHL, but the current agreement was not yet in place. He's part of the reason why the leagues agreed to honor each other's contracts.
If I'm not mistaken, in the NHLs press release on the Russia/Ukraine invasion they said they were cutting ties with essentially everything Russia. I think what the poster is talking about is this possibly includes any agreements or contracts previously had.

I have no idea of the legality of it all nor whether Matvei would be able to do it but it's an interesting situation if the contractual agreement is also out the window.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, in the NHLs press release on the Russia/Ukraine invasion they said they were cutting ties with essentially everything Russia. I think what the poster is talking about is this possibly includes any agreements or contracts previously had.

I have no idea of the legality of it all nor whether Matvei would be able to do it but it's an interesting situation if the contractual agreement is also out the window.

That's possible, but I doubt the NHL is going to start poaching signed KHL players.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
That's possible, but I doubt the NHL is going to start poaching signed KHL players.
100%. I think in this case Matvei is an exception as he's young and while he has a ton of hype he's not a star per say yet so there wouldn't be the same backlash socially for his family.

As a hockey fan I hope he finds a way out and plays in NA at 18 but it's super unclear at this point IMO.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
100%. I think in this case Matvei is an exception as he's young and while he has a ton of hype he's not a star per say yet so there wouldn't be the same backlash socially for his family.

As a hockey fan I hope he finds a way out and plays in NA at 18 but it's super unclear at this point IMO.

He could also not be in a rush to come to North America either, his whole life is in Russia. Michkov has an agent who would've let him know that he wouldn't be able to come over until the contract is up and could affect his draft ranking, earning potential, etc. Maybe he thinks staying in Russia for an extra few years is best for his development. I think we as hockey fans often take for granted how difficult of a transition it is to move overseas, especially when there will be very, very few people that speak the same language as you.

Hell, at that age it could easily be a girlfriend who he thinks he's going to marry :laugh:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The NHL GMs will 100% use the Ukraine/Russia war as a convenient excuse to poach whoever they want until a new agreement is made or until things settle down.
The larger obstacle will be in securing visas/legal travel.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
A contrary scenario is he will rush to come to America as Russia is about to face a complete economic meltdown and KHL clubs will be in financial ruins.
Seriously. The khl clubs won't be able to pay the players at the same level as the nhl clubs do to devaluing of their currency. People are going to be doing everything they can to get out. They're not going to be playing for scraps.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Seriously. The khl clubs won't be able to pay the players at the same level as the nhl clubs do to devaluing of their currency. People are going to be doing everything they can to get out. They're not going to be playing for scraps.
michkov will get less than 1 mil (if he plays in the khl) in the next four years combined. i'm sure ska will be able to afford him.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
A contrary scenario is he will rush to come to America as Russia is about to face a complete economic meltdown and KHL clubs will be in financial ruins.

I don't know what plans does Putin have with all this shit, but right now Russia is far from meltdown, and I'm pretty sure if the war finishes within a month, KHL will be ok.

If not... well, not sure actually... f***ing war... but Russia produces all the essentials domestically, and state controlled economy more or less guarantees prices won't skyrocket. So KHL salaries are still probably gonna be ok to live in Russia. Foreigners will leave the league of course, but Michkov... I doubt it. It's still better to play vs grown men in a pro league, than vs kids.

30 + 21 in 28 games is his overall MHL statistics this season. Now it's the playoffs time.

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
I don't know what plans does Putin have with all this shit, but right now Russia is far from meltdown, and I'm pretty sure if the war finishes within a month, KHL will be ok.

If not... well, not sure actually... f***ing war... but Russia produces all the essentials domestically, and state controlled economy more or less guarantees prices won't skyrocket. So KHL salaries are still probably gonna be ok to live in Russia. Foreigners will leave the league of course, but Michkov... I doubt it. It's still better to play vs grown men in a pro league, than vs kids.

30 + 21 in 28 games is his overall MHL statistics this season. Now it's the playoffs time.
War? I thought it was a “special operation”?

will be interesting to see if Michkov can silence the critics who say his production falls off in playoff games.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Even if its true, going from 4ppg to 3ppg is so bad i guess:laugh:

It's less than 2PPG actually... Of course that quarantine in Canada played its role, he was slumping for 1.5 months after it. Otherwise he would probably have been at 2PPG+. Still 30 goals in 28 games isn't that bad.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Michkov is playing in the slot on the PP for several weeks now instead of his usual position on the right side. Does someone understand this? It’s clearly not a position to his strengths especially when he is a permanent threat the more time and space he has.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Michkov barely has the puck during the man advantage. It's really unbelievable how wasted his talents are. Filatov is a joke.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They are 100% going to do that. All agreements are out the window with Russia.
If a player Russian player wants to sign with an NHL team, they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad