RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think expecting Michkov to be a Gretzky or even an Ovechkin is unrealistic.

However, I wouldn’t put it past him if in 25 years he’s known as one of the best players ever.

Michkov’s scoring rates as a prospect are among the best ever. He doesn’t do that with among the best ever tools for a prospect. He may be one of these once every few generation athletes that doesn’t look the part of a legendary player, but finds a way to be one.

Once again, I am not saying he will be that, but that’s what his game has been about to this point. The question is whether it continues once he reaches the best league in the world against the best players in the world.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's gonna be f***ing good.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The thing I found the most interesting whent I watched his first game since the WJC catastrophe was he wasn't the best player on his team. He didn't generate the most offense, there were kids who looked more dangerous. He did much more mistakes, than he usually does, he looked rusty as f***. Still somehow he scored a goal and made a primary assist on another one, and those were the only goals his team scored.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Disappointing he is not included in the preliminary Olympics roster
While I believe he could hang and produce in this year's Olympics, the KHL has plenty of "star" players to draw from who are objectively better right now than Michkov, and Russian hockey will use this as an opportunity to "reward loyalty" (conveniently since NHLers aren't allowed to attend), and send a veteran squad.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's heavily slumping. Just 9 points in 9 games after he got back from Canada. Of course he lost almost 2 weeks because of quarantine and had a small injure after that, but still.

Reactions: kp61c

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The thing I found the most interesting whent I watched his first game since the WJC catastrophe was he wasn't the best player on his team. He didn't generate the most offense, there were kids who looked more dangerous. He did much more mistakes, than he usually does, he looked rusty as f***. Still somehow he scored a goal and made a primary assist on another one, and those were the only goals his team scored.

Your post made me think of this video I came across recently. I've also been puzzled at times over his production when none of his skills jump out as being particularly elite, but he seems to have that unteachable instinct for almost always being in the right place.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Your post made me think of this video I came across recently. I've also been puzzled at times over his production when none of his skills jump out as being particularly elite, but he seems to have that unteachable instinct for almost always being in the right place.

This is how Johnny Gaudreau was in the USHL. Nothing elite about his game except he was all over the score sheet lol.

Michkov has the best offensive IQ I've seen in a prospect since then.

Reactions: MNRube

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Getting cleared to do that might be a bit of an issue. He might just be playing in Russia well into his 20's.

He is under contract to play in Russia for a couple of years after the draft, he was never coming to the CHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
this is a bit of an exaggeration, no? If a Russian forward wants to come over, they will in time.
w/o veering into politics too much, I would just say that no, that it is not a sure thing that a Russian forward, or citizen of any country under the control of Russia, will be free to come over.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Samsonov was a world beater at 16.
Funny you should mention him, that's who he reminds me of at that age, the only thing is (and I love it about him) is that he is waaaaaaaaay edgier then Samsonov, his compete level and mentality is what I think makes him special not so much his I.Q (which is great) In that early round robin game against Sweden when Russia was getting beat and not doing very well he just took it upon himself to press the issue and take over and make something happen and he did and Russia was right back in it. I mentioned it in that game thread and I am mentioning it now because when you see a kid that age do that along with the skill set you know he's really got the goods.

I love his approach to the game.

He's going to be a heck of a player, the way he darts in and out and plays with the puck in tight along with the same sort of frame reminds me of samsonov at that age but he's going to be miles better then that guy ever turned out to be.

He's going to be an impact player.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Funny you should mention him, that's who he reminds me of at that age, the only thing is (and I love it about him) is that he is waaaaaaaaay edgier then Samsonov, his compete level and mentality is what I think makes him special not so much his I.Q (which is great) In that early round robin game against Sweden when Russia was getting beat and not doing very well he just took it upon himself to press the issue and take over and make something happen and he did and Russia was right back in it. I mentioned it in that game thread and I am mentioning it now because when you see a kid that age do that along with the skill set you know he's really got the goods.

I love his approach to the game.

He's going to be a heck of a player, the way he darts in and out and plays with the puck in tight along with the same sort of frame reminds me of samsonov at that age but he's going to be miles better then that guy ever turned out to be.

He's going to be an impact player.

It's a decent comparison, but I would say Samsonov was much more reliant on his athleticism IMO. Dude was a water bug out there, where Michkov doesn't have that level of explosiveness. I think Michkov is a much more cerebral player than Samsonov was.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's a decent comparison, but I would say Samsonov was much more reliant on his athleticism IMO. Dude was a water bug out there, where Michkov doesn't have that level of explosiveness. I think Michkov is a much more cerebral player than Samsonov was.
Samsonov was the very definition of water bug, yes, far more reliant on his athleticism no question.

Another thing, Michkov is strong as all get go, like a bull for that size/age. I think that's what separates him from a guy like Bedard at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad