RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard was def generational. CHL scoring rates were equal or close to McDavid, Crosby, and Lindros. Highest WHL p/g in decades for a FYE.
I don't think point production alone is enough to qualify a player as generational. In my view, he always lacked the elite athletic attributes necessary to create time and space in today's NHL. The guys listed below all had the same sort of constraint which prevented them from fully translating their junior production to the NHL:
  • Patrick Kane - he outscored Bedard in his respective draft year in the OHL
  • Pat Lafontaine - in his draft year in the Q, he outscored Lemieux by 50 points with 104 goals 234 points.
  • John Tavares -he put up bonkers junior numbers as a 15-16 year old
I think Bedard fits into this group of players much better than the Crosby / McDavid group.
McDavid was about a point a game his rookie NHL year, a hair over Bedard.
McDavid was 3rd in the league in PPG in his rookie year. Bedard was outside the top 50.
Although I’m surprised Bedard isn’t scoring more, you have to think 100 points by 20 years old is a strong possibility and puts him in that elite category.
Crosby and McDavid both led the league in scoring in their 19 year old seasons. 100 points would have put Bedard 10th last year - if he's not top 5-10 in scoring this year, that just further illustrates how Bedard really isn't in that class of player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I don't think point production alone is enough to qualify a player as generational. In my view, he always lacked the elite athletic attributes necessary to create time and space in today's NHL. The guys listed below all had the same sort of constraint which prevented them from fully translating their junior production to the NHL:
  • Patrick Kane - he outscored Bedard in his respective draft year in the OHL
  • Pat Lafontaine - in his draft year in the Q, he outscored Lemieux by 50 points with 104 goals 234 points.
  • John Tavares -he put up bonkers junior numbers as a 15-16 year old
I think Bedard fits into this group of players much better than the Crosby / McDavid group.

McDavid was 3rd in the league in PPG in his rookie year. Bedard was outside the top 50.

Crosby and McDavid both led the league in scoring in their 19 year old seasons. 100 points would have put Bedard 10th last year - if he's not top 5-10 in scoring this year, that just further illustrates how Bedard really isn't in that class of player.
Agree on Bedard's physical limitations. It's why I thought he may be better as a wing long term.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I was really hoping Zamula could figure it out but he’s actually so horrendous and so bad at making decisions it’s crazy lol, incredibly low IQ player.

Neither he or Bedard are going to be defensive players, the only way I’ve ranted about it, is Bedard, he’s allowed to cheat as a Center for more points / favorable breakouts but Michkov does it too at times, so it’s tit for tat can’t hate on either. They will have very similar rookie year stats the Flyers are a complete dumpster fire as are the Blackhawk’s

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.
Jagr is second in points. SECOND! He dominated the league for long enough.

But the problem is - he isnt north american. So Ovechkin, Jagr - who cares what they will do. Michkov? Russian, physical aspect, we will not pencil him as generational prospect just because... They will never born in NA.
Nothing surprising.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Jagr is second in points. SECOND! He dominated the league for long enough.

But the problem is - he isnt north american. So Ovechkin, Jagr - who cares what they will do. Michkov? Russian, physical aspect, we will not pencil him as generational prospect just because... They will never born in NA.
Nothing surprising.
Okay, which of the 4 guys I listed would you put Jagr ahead of?

This has nothing to do with nationality.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is the conundrum of the philly fans who love this team too much. We never get "draft breaks" from the NHL because whether 1st place or last place, the arena is always full.

We gotta a pull a Pittsburgh and just make the arena a ghost town and be near bankrupt. Hagens and McKenna will be in orange and black like Crosby and Malkin. The NHL would go crazy losing the philly market.
Except when we move up to 2 and draft a kid with CTE

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.
The greatest goal scorer in history of the sport with one the most impressive hardware collection doesn’t make your list ? I think you’re greatly mistaken

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
My thoughts are that just because you are amongst the best in the league doesn’t mean you are generational. Generational players were known when they were 12 years old and hit the NHL running. They also tend to have that je ne sais quoi and there is a big stir about them and it turns out to be correct. In my lifetime the players consider generational are Lindros, Crosby, McDavid. It remains to be seen with Bedard. I’m on the fence with Ovechkin. Ultimately “generational” is a pretty useless term. There are many all time greats who weren’t generational so it means little

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
The exciting thing about Mich is that he isn't even close to peak yet. But its amazing how quick he's adapted to the NHL. Love the tenacity in the game, he's a true gamer. You don't see that from a lot of kids right away anymore.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Wish I could install an add-on to my browser that replaces the word "generational" with "hurr durr" so I can at least laugh myself silly while skimming through these threads.

Reactions: JIMVINNY

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Wouldn't have made my list too. Crosby and mcdavid are borderline cases.
If generational players are by definition the best of their generation, who is better than these three players in the currently active generations of players.
Just feels like reaction farming, which I've evidently fell for.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
If generational players are by definition the best of their generation, who is better than these three players in the currently active generations of players.
Just feels like reaction farming, which I've evidently fell for.
I don't agree that being the best of their generation automatically makes you generational. You need to be clearly a cut above the rest.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't agree that being the best of their generation automatically makes you generational.
Generational = the type of talent that you only see once or twice every 25-30 years. In the history of the NHL, about 100 years, there should only be 4-6 generational players.

You could have two generational players from the same draft year or not see one for 40 years.

Reactions: The Wizard

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Generational has lost a lot of meaning when there are 5-6 guys per generation with that moniker
totally.

Its also a stupid term. This isnt Highlander. There can be more than one 10/10 prospect in a 'generation' ' (what does that mean? 20 years? or every draft year? or 5 years? or is it just something that can be twisted to the speaker's biases, like Hart Trophy voting) And there can also be zero.

Michkov is exciting. Fun to see how good he will, or won't, become with his very unique developing skillset. Will he be a Danny Briere with his quick, opportunistic capitalization? Is his shot and passing WAY better than that and he will put up monster points? Is he ACTUALLY small, or will he turn into a fire hydrant of puck protection?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Generational = the type of talent that you only see once or twice every 25-30 years. In the history of the NHL, about 100 years, there should only be 4-6 generational players.

You could have two generational players from the same draft year or not see one for 40 years.

This.

There has only been 4 "generational prospects" so far as far as i'm concerned.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Lindros
McDavid

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rarely will you see a 19 years old kid jump in and have a PPG season unless you’re a Crosby/McDavid type of talent. Even guys like Jack Hughes couldn’t it before D+3.

If Michkov gets anywhere from 45-55 points season it will be a success.
he’s PPG with an unsustainably low ES SH%. And this guy still is taking trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad