RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard was def generational. CHL scoring rates were equal or close to McDavid, Crosby, and Lindros. Highest WHL p/g in decades for a FYE.
I don't think point production alone is enough to qualify a player as generational. In my view, he always lacked the elite athletic attributes necessary to create time and space in today's NHL. The guys listed below all had the same sort of constraint which prevented them from fully translating their junior production to the NHL:
  • Patrick Kane - he outscored Bedard in his respective draft year in the OHL
  • Pat Lafontaine - in his draft year in the Q, he outscored Lemieux by 50 points with 104 goals 234 points.
  • John Tavares -he put up bonkers junior numbers as a 15-16 year old
I think Bedard fits into this group of players much better than the Crosby / McDavid group.
McDavid was about a point a game his rookie NHL year, a hair over Bedard.
McDavid was 3rd in the league in PPG in his rookie year. Bedard was outside the top 50.
Although I’m surprised Bedard isn’t scoring more, you have to think 100 points by 20 years old is a strong possibility and puts him in that elite category.
Crosby and McDavid both led the league in scoring in their 19 year old seasons. 100 points would have put Bedard 10th last year - if he's not top 5-10 in scoring this year, that just further illustrates how Bedard really isn't in that class of player.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I don't think point production alone is enough to qualify a player as generational. In my view, he always lacked the elite athletic attributes necessary to create time and space in today's NHL. The guys listed below all had the same sort of constraint which prevented them from fully translating their junior production to the NHL:
  • Patrick Kane - he outscored Bedard in his respective draft year in the OHL
  • Pat Lafontaine - in his draft year in the Q, he outscored Lemieux by 50 points with 104 goals 234 points.
  • John Tavares -he put up bonkers junior numbers as a 15-16 year old
I think Bedard fits into this group of players much better than the Crosby / McDavid group.

McDavid was 3rd in the league in PPG in his rookie year. Bedard was outside the top 50.

Crosby and McDavid both led the league in scoring in their 19 year old seasons. 100 points would have put Bedard 10th last year - if he's not top 5-10 in scoring this year, that just further illustrates how Bedard really isn't in that class of player.
Agree on Bedard's physical limitations. It's why I thought he may be better as a wing long term.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I was really hoping Zamula could figure it out but he’s actually so horrendous and so bad at making decisions it’s crazy lol, incredibly low IQ player.

Neither he or Bedard are going to be defensive players, the only way I’ve ranted about it, is Bedard, he’s allowed to cheat as a Center for more points / favorable breakouts but Michkov does it too at times, so it’s tit for tat can’t hate on either. They will have very similar rookie year stats the Flyers are a complete dumpster fire as are the Blackhawk’s

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.
Jagr is second in points. SECOND! He dominated the league for long enough.

But the problem is - he isnt north american. So Ovechkin, Jagr - who cares what they will do. Michkov? Russian, physical aspect, we will not pencil him as generational prospect just because... They will never born in NA.
Nothing surprising.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Jagr is second in points. SECOND! He dominated the league for long enough.

But the problem is - he isnt north american. So Ovechkin, Jagr - who cares what they will do. Michkov? Russian, physical aspect, we will not pencil him as generational prospect just because... They will never born in NA.
Nothing surprising.
Okay, which of the 4 guys I listed would you put Jagr ahead of?

This has nothing to do with nationality.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is the conundrum of the philly fans who love this team too much. We never get "draft breaks" from the NHL because whether 1st place or last place, the arena is always full.

We gotta a pull a Pittsburgh and just make the arena a ghost town and be near bankrupt. Hagens and McKenna will be in orange and black like Crosby and Malkin. The NHL would go crazy losing the philly market.
Except when we move up to 2 and draft a kid with CTE

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.
The greatest goal scorer in history of the sport with one the most impressive hardware collection doesn’t make your list ? I think you’re greatly mistaken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad