RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Talking about +/-

So far it's super frustrating with the Flyers and feels like Sochi all over again.

I was really hoping Zamula could figure it out but he’s actually so horrendous and so bad at making decisions it’s crazy lol, incredibly low IQ player.

Still people used to rant a lot about Bedard's +/- last season.

Neither he or Bedard are going to be defensive players, the only way I’ve ranted about it, is Bedard, he’s allowed to cheat as a Center for more points / favorable breakouts but Michkov does it too at times, so it’s tit for tat can’t hate on either. They will have very similar rookie year stats the Flyers are a complete dumpster fire as are the Blackhawk’s

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
Couturier still, thankfully, has some jump in him and can win faceoffs... that's a huge plus over Frost to just win Ozone draws and keep the pressure cooking.
Frost loses every single PP Faceoff…it’s maddening.

Frost loses Faceoff, puck goes behind the net and the PK dman dumps it. Repeat.

More often than not the first Flyer to touch the puck on our PP is our goalie. Lmao.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
KHL production only means something if you’re a Montreal fan and if it’s Demidov. “Generational“ btw.
Its not Demidovs fault that some part(again. some part) of Mtl fan base hate Michkov, saying that Reinbacher is more important, dying with sh1tting on him and creating some fake narratives about his character, about his desire to play only for one team etc.
Demidov is close to be generational, he is really great player. May be not as good as Michkov, may be on the level.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
Its not Demidovs fault that some part(again. some part) of Mtl fan base hate Michkov, saying that Reinbacher is more important, dying with sh1tting on him and creating some fake narratives about his character, about his desire to play only for one team etc.
Demidov is close to be generational, he is really great player. May be not as good as Michkov, may be on the level.

People use generational so much that it loses its meaning at this point

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
As I said - he is close to be generational. Not saying he is. Of course we should agree what does it mean. In 21st century its only Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid?
I don’t even see how he is close to generational, He is seen as a lesser prospect than Celebrini who was seen as a Fantilli level prospect

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's 62.5% on the dot. Yeah, just 8 attempts, but still not bad. Maybe he should play center?
No reason to burden him with the responsibilities of a center, especially under Torts.

Maybe in 2-3 years, if his top end skating improves and he shows a desire to defend more.

But his ability to delay with the puck, hold off defenders, and find trailing teammates streaking into the zone plays makes him an ideal "up ice option" for stretch passes that allow his team to gain controlled offensive zone possession without attempting a high traffic zone entry. Not dissimilar to guys like Kucherov, Tkachuk, and prime Huberdeau. As a center, that's a skillset that would largely go to waste.

I don’t even see how he is close to generational, He is seen as a lesser prospect than Celebrini who was seen as a Fantilli level prospect
Perception isn't really what dictates a generational talent.

But I agree, Michkov will be an elite offensive player, but I don't see a generational player. There hasn't been a generational talent drafted since 2015.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is the most comfortable and "involved" hes been all year. Natural as its only his 7th game, but hes been all over the place in the ozone. Also been in a handful of caps face. He definitely has a little dawg in him.

It was funny, on the faceoff prior to his goal Carlson (I believe) tried to big brother him and rough him up and 39 was too strong on his skates and hardly moved.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him involved in a game tying goal down the stretch here..
Michkov showing that compete level last night that I told everyone Torts would adore him for.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Michkov showing that compete level last night that I told everyone Torts would adore him for.
Anyone questioning Michkov's competitiveness clearly wasn't watching this guy in Russia and was drinking the Canadian media kool aid. Dude has always been a puck hound.

That's not to say he hasn't been guilty of floating a bit defensively in the past, but show me a young offensive phenom who hasn't been criticized of that. His work ethic on the ice is an advantage he has over the majority of top offensive prospects.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I was really hoping Zamula could figure it out but he’s actually so horrendous and so bad at making decisions it’s crazy lol, incredibly low IQ player.

Neither he or Bedard are going to be defensive players, the only way I’ve ranted about it, is Bedard, he’s allowed to cheat as a Center for more points / favorable breakouts but Michkov does it too at times, so it’s tit for tat can’t hate on either. They will have very similar rookie year stats the Flyers are a complete dumpster fire as are the Blackhawk’s
Yeah wingers are supposed to cheat a bit, centers not lol.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As I said - he is close to be generational. Not saying he is. Of course we should agree what does it mean. In 21st century its only Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid?
I would add Malkin to that list, and actually put him ahead of Ovechkin on the list of generational talents. OV gets bonus points for longevity and health, but to me Malkin was the greater overall talent.

But honestly both would fall just a hair below generational for me simply because they weren't the best player in their generation.

Reactions: HabzSauce

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
No reason to burden him with the responsibilities of a center, especially under Torts.

Maybe in 2-3 years, if his top end skating improves and he shows a desire to defend more.

But his ability to delay with the puck, hold off defenders, and find trailing teammates streaking into the zone plays makes him an ideal "up ice option" for stretch passes that allow his team to gain controlled offensive zone possession without attempting a high traffic zone entry. Not dissimilar to guys like Kucherov, Tkachuk, and prime Huberdeau. As a center, that's a skillset that would largely go to waste.

Perception isn't really what dictates a generational talent.

But I agree, Michkov will be an elite offensive player, but I don't see a generational player. There hasn't been a generational talent drafted since 2015.

Perception is indeed what determines a generational talent. A prospect is drafted on what he is “perceived” to become in the league. This is how players like Slaf go first over all

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Perception is indeed what determines a generational talent. A prospect is drafted on what he is “perceived” to become in the league. This is how players like Slaf go first over all
As a prospect, sure, but when all is said and done it that label is earned be based on their actual performance in the NHL.

Michkov being perceived as a worse prospect than Celebrini doesn't mean much. Just like how Bedard was seen as a generational talent when he pretty clearly was not.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would add Malkin to that list, and actually put him ahead of Ovechkin on the list of generational talents. OV gets bonus points for longevity and health, but to me Malkin was the greater overall talent.

But honestly both would fall just a hair below generational for me simply because they weren't the best player in their generation.
Malkin isn’t over Ovechkin. I don’t know is Malkin generational or not but he definitely not over Ovechkin.

And Ovechkin is ofcourse generational. He is second best scorer in the history now. Won enough of personal awards too. A couple of team awards too.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He can be second best modern Russian player. Not like “second best just because other are bad” but second best as regular ~85-100 points player. It’s his peak and absolute ceiling but he has tools for it. If he will be good enough - it’s close to be generational, because next step is literally top notch. But of course it’s just too early to call him generational, absolutely. But he is definitely elite prospect because he has tools and track record to be elite nhler. Of course if everything will work in right direction (it works this way for any “labeled”prospect).

As Celebrini as Demidov showing something more than Fantilli. It’s not their problem that someone are comparing them with Fantilli in one or other way. Ask who compared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad