RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Love that he is proving me right. Thought he would light up the AHL this year and he is doing exactly that. Getting some NHL games in was just a bonus. I wonder if he is going to get recalled before christmas or if they're gonna send him to the World Juniors?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Love that he is proving me right. Thought he would light up the AHL this year and he is doing exactly that. Getting some NHL games in was just a bonus. I wonder if he is going to get recalled before christmas or if they're gonna send him to the World Juniors?

Kinda hope he goes to the World Juniors and then get recalled to play on the Avs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's a great question, he's helping our AHL team too. They are 9-1-4 so does that factor into the equation? There really isn't a precedent so it's tough to say but if I had to guess on it as long as he's not with the Avs they would let him go if he asks for it. The Avs have played better after the sent some kids down so I don't think they are looking to recall him just yet.

Rantanen has been great so far, some times even dominant. Today he was really dialed in. He's up to 4G 9A in 10 games. If he'd played all of them he'd really be amongst the leaders of the league.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For a 2015 draftee to be putting up over a PPG in a men's league. 13 points in 10 games. Rantanen deserves a mention in the prospects thread.

3 assists, +3 in Tuesday's game.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
For a 2015 draftee to be putting up over a PPG in a men's league. 13 points in 10 games. Rantanen deserves a mention in the prospects thread.

3 assists, +3 in Tuesday's game.

He was pick number 10 god damn it! So like picks from 6 to 9 were even better than him according to the drafting teams? I don't think so, what a steal!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was pick number 10 god damn it! So like picks from 6 to 9 were even better than him according to the drafting teams? I don't think so, what a steal!

Agreed, he was 13 in my own rankings which in this draft was very good due to the depth. But if he continues like this. He will have the AHL conquered this year. Colorado has a good one.

It amuses me that people still draw a distinction on flashiness against efficiency. Rantanen is a very efficient player, but it isn't really all that obvious to most fans. It's just easy to compare a flashy player against an efficient one and automatically amuse the player is better. As a Leafs fan, I'm kind of disappointed with Kapanen. He reportedly came close to making the Penguins, but it is looking more and more like the Penguins were desperate for some wingers up front (see: Sprong).

Agreed, not flashy and efficient can be a good thing.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

After watching his last season in the Liga I kept saying he was going to be special. There wasn't anyone aside from McEichel in the forwards I would have picked him in front of him (although can't admit being 100% objective). Guess the NHL teams have hard time taking a gamble with Europeans that do not have Barkov like pre-draft seasons under the belt. Still hard to believe this guy fell to #10. He has all the tools added with good skating and size, pretty much a complete package with the sky as a limit. Already playing AHL like a veteran and being only 18. While wanting him to fall all the way down to Panthers, can't say he is unlucky to be in the Avalanche.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
After watching his last season in the Liga I kept saying he was going to be special. There wasn't anyone aside from McEichel in the forwards I would have picked him in front of him (although can't admit being 100% objective). Guess the NHL teams have hard time taking a gamble with Europeans that do not have Barkov like pre-draft seasons under the belt. Still hard to believe this guy fell to #10. He has all the tools added with good skating and size, pretty much a complete package with the sky as a limit. Already playing AHL like a veteran and being only 18. While wanting him to fall all the way down to Panthers, can't say he is unlucky to be in the Avalanche.

I definitely thought he should have gone ahead of Meier and Zacha, but I would have had a hard time putting him over Strome and Marner

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I definitely thought he should have gone ahead of Meier and Zacha, but I would have had a hard time putting him over Strome and Marner

Marner lacks size and Strome didn't have the skating. Rantanen on the other hand had not much question marks aside from people thinking he may not turn out to be a capable scorer. Had he been playing NA jr league 2014 it may have turned out another story. Both of the mentioned are more natural centers so that obviously gives advantage. Not knocking on either player though. Both can turnout great or even better than Rantanen when all is said and done. Just as it looks now I'd still take him over the two. Agreed about Zacha and especially Meier who's also a winger and a real suprise pick.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He was better in practice games than many of the players who did make to the WCH team and watching just pre-tournament games I would have taken Rantanen. I'm not sure Laine or/and Puljujarvi will play in this year's WCH and they are ranked top 5. Problem with Rantanen was that he wasn't a higly touted prospect year or two prior the draft. It's hard to go top 5 if you have been magical only 1/3 of the season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He was better in practice games than many of the players who did make to the WCH team and watching just pre-tournament games I would have taken Rantanen. I'm not sure Laine or/and Puljujarvi will play in this year's WCH and they are ranked top 5. Problem with Rantanen was that he wasn't a higly touted prospect year or two prior the draft. It's hard to go top 5 if you have been magical only 1/3 of the season.

Neither was he a NA prospect. We have seen magical risers in the recent past (like Drouin f.ex.). I doubt either of the two will make the men's team. Personally don't really even care that much. Consider WJC much more fun of a spectacle anyway.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Neither was he a NA prospect. We have seen magical risers in the recent past (like Drouin f.ex.). I doubt either of the two will make the men's team. Personally don't really even care that much. Consider WJC much more fun of a spectacle anyway.
Drouin wasn't a magical riser, he was the number 2 guy in the QMJHL draft then refused to report til mid-year (and still put up 29 pts in 33gms) and was considered a top 10 guy entering his draft year. Magical risers don't get a top 6 role on the Canada WJC team at 17. Guys like Huberdeau and Johansen were late risers.

Ratanen has looked good and I'd take him over Zacha, don't think he's near the top 5 discussion. What guys like Marner and Strome did last year borders on historic in regards to OHL scoring. Marner isn't big but he's not as small as people make him out to be, he's 5'11 170 (160 at the draft), and Strome has 1st line center abilities which are very hard to find, he has everything but top skating.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Drouin wasn't a magical riser, he was the number 2 guy in the QMJHL draft then refused to report til mid-year (and still put up 29 pts in 33gms) and was considered a top 10 guy entering his draft year. Magical risers don't get a top 6 role on the Canada WJC team at 17. Guys like Huberdeau and Johansen were late risers.

Ratanen has looked good and I'd take him over Zacha, don't think he's near the top 5 discussion. What guys like Marner and Strome did last year borders on historic in regards to OHL scoring. Marner isn't big but he's not as small as people make him out to be, he's 5'11 170 (160 at the draft), and Strome has 1st line center abilities which are very hard to find, he has everything but top skating.

Not really sure if that's a memory breakdown or something similar. Anyway, ISS had him top10 in their preliminary rankings but mostly he was somewhere in the late 1st.

F.Ex. TSS (McKenzie) gave Drouin an HM and on the Hockey Writers' list he was down to #22.

http://thehockeywriters.com/preliminary-rankings-for-the-2013-nhl-entry-draft/
http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9600

Marner isn't the tallest but the height shouldn't be a problem. For him weight counts a little bit more and gaining lets say 20lb for someone with a very fragile frame isn't just a walk in the park and you reach a limit pretty fast. The tools Marner has, do not apply in the NHL in the way he dominates games in the OHL. He will need to be able to outwit guys that won't hesitate to use their size to nail you to the next wall or hit you on the open ice. The transition will be a lot harder versus someone who already can muscle in the corners on and off the puck. What comes to Strome, yeah he has skill but as was said the speed isn't there yet. 1st line center abilities alone doesn't warrant an edge on a potential elite two way winger. Tough to compare all three since Rantanen has been playing versus professionals for the past two years now while the two others have been on a scoring competition. Claiming it isn't even close is even more biased than saying he'd be ahead of the other two at this point.

Tarasenko and Kucherov come to mind as pretty good examples of wingers drafted low and becoming more or less indispensable pieces for their franchises.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really sure if that's a memory breakdown or something similar. Anyway, ISS had him top10 in their preliminary rankings but mostly he was somewhere in the late 1st.

F.Ex. TSS (McKenzie) gave Drouin an HM and on the Hockey Writers' list he was down to #22.

http://thehockeywriters.com/preliminary-rankings-for-the-2013-nhl-entry-draft/
http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9600

Marner isn't the tallest but the height shouldn't be a problem. For him weight counts a little bit more and gaining lets say 20lb for someone with a very fragile frame isn't just a walk in the park and you reach a limit pretty fast. The tools Marner has, do not apply in the NHL in the way he dominates games in the OHL. He will need to be able to outwit guys that won't hesitate to use their size to nail you to the next wall or hit you on the open ice. The transition will be a lot harder versus someone who already can muscle in the corners on and off the puck. What comes to Strome, yeah he has skill but as was said the speed isn't there yet. 1st line center abilities alone doesn't warrant an edge on a potential elite two way winger. Tough to compare all three since Rantanen has been playing versus professionals for the past two years now while the two others have been on a scoring competition. Claiming it isn't even close is even more biased than saying he'd be ahead of the other two at this point.

Tarasenko and Kucherov come to mind as pretty good examples of wingers drafted low and becoming more or less indispensable pieces for their franchises.
Don't want to derail this into a classic leafs vs opposing prospect debate, but Marner, and Strome were clearly in the tier above and not one major source had Ratanen over either. I don't think there is a gm out there who would take Ratanen over either, even after his AHL start. Ratanen is good and very promising but its going to take more than 15 games post draft to pass guys everyone had rated higher.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-rankings/

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Don't want to derail this into a classic leafs vs opposing prospect debate, but Marner, and Strome were clearly in the tier above and not one major source had Ratanen over either. I don't think there is a gm out there who would take Ratanen over either, even after his AHL start. Ratanen is good and very promising but its going to take more than 15 games post draft to pass guys everyone had rated higher.

I'm not sure why you find it relevant to throw in pre-draft prospect rankings (other than perhaps derail the previous Drouin conversation) since no one claimed he was in the discussion of top5 in the most of those lists.

No agency can ever display a list of an actual NHL draft order. Sakic thought he was top5/6 pick so even when he was 'scouted' to land 10'ish didn't mean some teams actually had him higher. What he's accomplished so far only validates the fact he seems to be the steal of the 2015 and right now definately in the conversation of the top5 should there be a re-draft. Your deluding yourself if you think there's a tier between the three. But like I said, anything can happen and Rantanen could turn out worse than expected, just as Marner or just as Strome. Yes it's early but your not actually bringing anything other into the conversation than "only because he was scouted to go in certain # there's no way he could actually be better than some of the guys ahead".

You need to learn to spell Ra-n-tanen by the way. No Offense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not sure why you find it relevant to throw in pre-draft prospect rankings (other than perhaps derail the previous Drouin conversation) since no one claimed he was in the discussion of top5 in the most of those lists.

No agency can ever display a list of an actual NHL draft order. Sakic thought he was top5/6 pick so even when he was 'scouted' to land 10'ish didn't mean some teams actually had him higher. What he's accomplished so far only validates the fact he seems to be the steal of the 2015 and right now definately in the conversation of the top5 should there be a re-draft. Your deluding yourself if you think there's a tier between the three. But like I said, anything can happen and Rantanen could turn out worse than expected, just as Marner or just as Strome. Yes it's early but your not actually bringing anything other into the conversation than "only because he was scouted to go in certain # there's no way he could actually be better than some of the guys ahead".

You need to learn to spell Ra-n-tanen by the way. No Offense.
He's good but I don't think he's entered the Marner, Strome, Hanifin tier. Rantanen is a great prospect but both Marner and Strome are believed to have higher ceilings, I don't think a qtr of a season has changed that. At the time of the draft there was a clear divide. But lets agree to disagree or create a Marner or Strome vs Rantanen thread, too many of these threads get derailed this way. He's a great prospect and Colorado and the fins should be happy, i look forward to watching him more at the WJC while I track Kapanen, and get a better glimpse of Laine and Pulujarvi.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Draft position doesen't mean anything anymore. The play and developement after that is the thing what matters the most. European drafted players are usually drafted lower than NA kids. While Strome and Marner are playing really well they are not destroying OHL in stacked teams. Rantanen is dominating AHL at times and it's closest league to NHL and he was only one of the 3 who made it to the avs opening roster and avs has more competition for the positions in the offense. This is only first season in NA for Rantanen. Let him get used to small rink and we'll see even better play. Stop being blind and watch draft positions and refuse to admit that Rantanen have been closing the gap big time. There is no doubt that he is close to top 5. Im really excited to see them play in WJC against eachother. Rantanen was dominant at times last year in that event. I expect the same from Marner and Strome in more stacked teams if not they are not same calibre players than Rantanen. Right now i wouldn't put Rantanen ahead them but he has potential to surpass them for sure.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Draft position doesen't mean anything anymore. The play and developement after that is the thing what matters the most. European drafted players are usually drafted lower than NA kids. While Strome and Marner are playing really well they are not destroying OHL in stacked teams. Rantanen is dominating AHL at times and it's closest league to NHL and he was only one of the 3 who made it to the avs opening roster and avs has more competition for the positions in the offense. This is only first season in NA for Rantanen. Let him get used to small rink and we'll see even better play. Stop being blind and watch draft positions and refuse to admit that Rantanen have been closing the gap big time. There is no doubt that he is close to top 5. Im really excited to see them play in WJC against eachother. Rantanen was dominant at times last year in that event. I expect the same from Marner and Strome in more stacked teams if now they are not same calibre players than Rantanen. Right now i wouldn't put Rantanen ahead them but he has potential to surpass them for sure.
I never said he wasn't gaining ground, what I said was he hasn't surpassed them, and while draft position and draft ranking become obsolete over time, we are only 25 something games into the new season, so they still hold value.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's good but I don't think he's entered the Marner, Strome, Hanifin tier. Rantanen is a great prospect but both Marner and Strome are believed to have higher ceilings, I don't think a qtr of a season has changed that. At the time of the draft there was a clear divide. But lets agree to disagree or create a Marner or Strome vs Rantanen thread, too many of these threads get derailed this way. He's a great prospect and Colorado and the fins should be happy, i look forward to watching him more at the WJC while I track Kapanen, and get a better glimpse of Laine and Pulujarvi.

I was hoping you to open up that tier discussion and hear some of the reasoning, but that's fine. People are entitled to their opinions. I'd just prefer to have one of my own rather than listening and adapting the general hearsay while refusing to accept the fact that things can change.

Yeah we are happy. Finland seems to be growing wings lately.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was hoping you to open up that tier discussion and hear some of the reasoning, but that's fine. People are entitled to their opinions. I'd just prefer to have one of my own rather than listening and adapting the general hearsay while refusing to accept the fact that things can change.

Yeah we are happy. Finland seems to be growing wings lately.
I'll say this, that tier had guys who have a significantly higher ceiling of being franchise players. Rantanen is good and is probably a very safe pick, he will make the NHL as a top 9 forward with a solid 2-way game and could be a top line winger. Strome and Marner, are a bit more boom bust, but have a higher probability of being elite scorers in the league. Granted, it is much easier for me to follow these two, but I'd like to wait til around the half season mark before this can be re-evalauted, it minimizes the effect hot streaks can have on perception. Most of my experience watching Rantanen was WJC and on BET365 crappy stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad