RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Even though he's been fine this is the time he should be improving his offensive skills. And that's not going to happen playing less than 10 mins per night.

Considering he was never a force in Finland (like Barkov, Granlund etc.) but he has a lot of potential they shouldn't rush him like this.

They're not rushing him.

If anything they're babying him as they're not putting him in tough situations late in games, situations that will force him into mistakes and to start doubting himself.

Those who have watched all of his games so far will know that he's been strong despite his limited minutes. His game against Anaheim the other night was very good even though he didn't impact the scoresheet. He has the skillset to be a monster on both sides of the puck and I have no real issues with how he's been used so far this year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They're not rushing him.

If anything they're babying him as they're not putting him in tough situations late in games, situations that will force him into mistakes and to start doubting himself.

Those who have watched all of his games so far will know that he's been strong despite his limited minutes. His game against Anaheim the other night was very good even though he didn't impact the scoresheet. He has the skillset to be a monster on both sides of the puck and I have no real issues with how he's been used so far this year.

But the reality is he's not in a situation to put any points on the board. As a young player confidence is everything, he needs to feel like he can score. Otherwise if this keeps up you're looking at a 3rd line responsible 2-way winger who can play some games on the top 6 if necessary. Instead of a consistent top 6 winger.

Mikko has not been a top scorer playing against men so far. If he played one productive season in the AHL and then got these type of minutes in the NHL he'd feel much more comfortable burying some of the little chances he gets. And then the coach starts to give him more ice time and things keep on rolling.

But then again its just 5 games. Im talking about a full season. If he slowly gets better opportunities im fine with it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But the reality is he's not in a situation to put any points on the board. As a young player confidence is everything, he needs to feel like he can score. Otherwise if this keeps up you're looking at a 3rd line responsible 2-way winger who can play some games on the top 6 if necessary. Instead of a consistent top 6 winger.

Mikko has not been a top scorer playing against men so far. If he played one productive season in the AHL and then got these type of minutes in the NHL he'd feel much more comfortable burying some of the little chances he gets. And then the coach starts to give him more ice time and things keep on rolling.

But then again its just 5 games. Im talking about a full season. If he slowly gets better opportunities im fine with it.

He (hopefully) has a chance to play with Duchene right now.
Duchene finally got his 1st point of the season so hopefully he starts to wake up, Rants-Duchene could be beautiful to watch and increase Rants icetime, confidence and allow him to see pp time later on the season.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He's been playing on the team's 2nd line with Duchene for the past couple of games, just being used less late in games. That's a pretty good opportunity to work on his scoring abilities.

Believe me, I'm normally a guy who is 100% against rushing a player and putting him in over his head but I think Rantanen is being used in a smart way that won't hinder his future potential. It's rare that I agree with Roy's coaching tactics but how he has handled MR so far has been pretty smart.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's already played 5 games. Even if they send him down at some point he's going to be back, the ELC is irrelevant. Don't look at just his ice time, look at everyone else's. He's playing with Duchene for the most part too. I know much of this is concern with him playing for Finland anyway :naughty:

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Rantanen could be in a familiar position here. If you think back to last season, it took him about the first half of the season to really 'get' the game before he switched up gears and had a convincing spring season. It's hard to say if he can repeat that in Colorado, but I'm sure he has more perspective in how to survive in adult leagues now that he beat the odds once already. It could take the first season for him to adjust, and that's not uncommon with young prospects. Most of them spend a couple seasons in the A and then some more adjusting to the speed in NHL, so in that regard Rantanen is progressing at an amazing speed.

What was honestly expected of him was that he'd be a defensive liability, too weak against contact play, too slow, etc. and get sent down to marinate for the rest of the season. There are not many 18-year-olds in the league that are expected to put up points and carry the team that way.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Considering he was never a force in Finland (like Barkov, Granlund etc.) but he has a lot of potential they shouldn't rush him like this.
He was almost point-per-game after world juniors. While playing in a train wreck team and being their assistant captain. Calling him not being a force is just incorrect, alhough his totals weren't the same as Barkov or Granny.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Sent down to the AHL which was the right move the way Roy was using him. Will likely be available for Finland for the WJC now. I'm sure he'll be recalled sometime this year though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's not ready to be playing in the NHL. It's not doing him or the team any good. Should either be playing in the AHL or Finland.

Called it. Love the kid and he's going to be real good, but the 3 games I watched him in you could see he just wasn't ready. I expect him to start putting up some points in the AHL and that we'll see him again in 40 or so games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Called it. Love the kid and he's going to be real good, but the 3 games I watched him in you could see he just wasn't ready. I expect him to start putting up some points in the AHL and that we'll see him again in 40 or so games.

If you didn't watch the last few games he got better in those and made strong plays, but the team has problems right now so it's probably the best for him not to be there playing 10mins per game.
Iginla is/was the problem on that line, he just can't take/give a pass and not Rants to my eyes.

I hope Rants starts killing it in the AHL and plays a huge role and in every situation and gets called up soon and has a positive impact on their top9.

Also 1thing that I didn't get was that he played every game on his off wing, would have been nice to see how he does on the Rw side for atleast 1 game.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought he was doing some good things and not like the Avs have a bunch of wingers sitting around. He'll be back, they can't keep him down for long.

Has anyone been in the AHL and not sent to the WJC?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I thought he was doing some good things and not like the Avs have a bunch of wingers sitting around. He'll be back, they can't keep him down for long.

Has anyone been in the AHL and not sent to the WJC?
I believe Burakovsky was in the AHL during the WJC and called up to Washington right after the tournament.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I believe Burakovsky was in the AHL during the WJC and called up to Washington right after the tournament.

That would sound ideal for Rantanen.

Seeing him as the captain for Finland in a tournament in Finland sure would be pure Rantartainment.

not to Rant but not letting him go from the AHL would just be Rantarded

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Kid belongs in the NHL, sucks that he didn't play on his natural position and that he was first saddled with Rendulić and then with Iginla.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I Hope he stays in AHL. He has not ever played there actually? Only in NHL in NA?
What are the odds for Ranta to play in WJC?

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
I Hope he stays in AHL. He has not ever played there actually? Only in NHL in NA?
What are the odds for Ranta to play in WJC?

If he's still in the AHL at that time I could see them letting him go. And yup he's only played in the NHL in North America.

Does AHL burn a year off ELC?

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yes it does
No it doesn't.

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Looks like the correct choice was made, all things considered. Hope he can keep up a good pace in scoring and grab a roster spot in the Avalanche next time he's called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad