RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
That won't happen.

I don't know if you know more about the Avalanche's policy in these matters but this has happened on many occasions in the past (player in NHL released for WJCs). So unless you have some info to contradict it, it certainly can happen.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't know if you know more about the Avalanche's policy in these matters but this has happened on many occasions in the past (player in NHL released for WJCs). So unless you have some info to contradict it, it certainly can happen.

Like who?

If Rantanen sticks and there's no reason not to think so considering how he looked and what Roy said about him he's not coming, also there's no way a NHL team will let a contributing player play in the WJC simply out of goodness of their heart when they are battling to make the playoffs, they would be ripped to shreds by media, fans etc.

I know Finns want to see him in Helsinki, but the odds of that happening are pretty much non-existent if he stays in the NHL.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Like who?

If Rantanen sticks and there's no reason not to think so considering how he looked and what Roy said about him he's not coming, also there's no way a NHL team will let a contributing player play in the WJC simply out of goodness of their heart when they are battling to make the playoffs, they would be ripped to shreds by media, fans etc.

I know Finns want to see him in Helsinki, but the odds of that happening are pretty much non-existent if he stays in the NHL.
I remember Curtis Lazar being able to play for Canada last year even though he was in Ottawa's roster. The WJC was played in Canada and he was the captain of the team.
I feel like it could be the same for Rantanen since the games are played in Finland and he is really strong contender to captain the team.

But I guess there are different policies for these kind of things in Ottawa and Colorado so we will see.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I remember Curtis Lazar being able to play for Canada last year even though he was in Ottawa's roster. The WJC was played in Canada and he was the captain of the team.
I feel like it could be the same for Rantanen since the games are played in Finland and he is really strong contender to captain the team.

But I guess there are different policies for these kind of things in Ottawa and Colorado so we will see.

Rantanen will play a bigger role than Lazar did and it's safe to assume that Ottawa cared more about a WJC playing out in their back yard, plus Lazar was Canadian than Colorado will care about a WJC in Finland. They're not going to send a kid who's supposed to play a lot of minutes half way around the world so he can take part in a tournament that means nothing to Colorado and on top of that risk an injury while he is there.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
If he is playing good hockey regularly in the NHL, I really doubt that he would even want to attend the WJC. And I doubt that the Avs would let him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Avs are very much are a you are a NHL player or you aren't sort of org. They don't do the 9 game tryout, they rarely play prospects in the preseason. They are not going to flip flop about how they see Rantanen. As of now he's considered a NHL player. Now I know his play may dictate some decisions but unless something goes really wrong he's there to stay and have a decent role from day 1.

member 157595

The Avs are very much are a you are a NHL player or you aren't sort of org. They don't do the 9 game tryout, they rarely play prospects in the preseason. They are not going to flip flop about how they see Rantanen. As of now he's considered a NHL player. Now I know his play may dictate some decisions but unless something goes really wrong he's there to stay and have a decent role from day 1.

Have they done a 9-gamer since Wolski?

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
7:24 icetime, gj Roy.

Rantanen wasn't obviously bad. He made a couple of nice plays but had the misfortune of playing with Soderberg who played like garbage. I think his ice time is a function of playing with Soderberg.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If he is playing good hockey regularly in the NHL, I really doubt that he would even want to attend the WJC. And I doubt that the Avs would let him.

Just the thought of having captaincy over a Team Finland in a World cup in his homeland Finland must make him sick to his stomach.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Like who?

Rasmus Ristolainen and Elias Lindholm come to mind. Lindholm if I remember even had a pretty decent role on his NHL team. I'm sure there's others.

Also you talk as if it's guaranteed that Rantanen has a big role on the Avs. He had a very good camp yes and made the team, but he's also a rookie, and the level of play fluctuates a lot when it comes to rookies. Even if he gets a big role in the start of the season might not mean he's in that role in december or march.

that said it's probable that he doesn't come over to the WJC but it does happen sometimes.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Just the thought of having captaincy over a Team Finland in a World cup in his homeland Finland must make him sick to his stomach.

I think fans generally overstate the significance of international hockey in terms of what it means to the players. The ultimate goal for any pro hockey player is to play in the NHL, and I'd wager an 18-year old living the dream would care very little if he missed out on an international hockey tournament for him being deemed too important to let go by his NHL team.

Do I think Rantanen would love to take part in the upcoming WJC and play for the country that is hosting the event? In a vacuum absolutely. But to do that at the expense of getting ice time in the NHL, I wouldn't be so certain of it.

Rasmus Ristolainen and Elias Lindholm come to mind. Lindholm if I remember even had a pretty decent role on his NHL team. I'm sure there's others.

Ristolainen was playing in the AHL at the time.

Hampus Lindholm was eligible two years ago but didn't participate even though Sweden was the host nation. Last year it was MacKinnon, Ekblad and maybe a bunch of others that I may be forgetting.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Also you talk as if it's guaranteed that Rantanen has a big role on the Avs. He had a very good camp yes and made the team, but he's also a rookie, and the level of play fluctuates a lot when it comes to rookies. Even if he gets a big role in the start of the season might not mean he's in that role in december or march.

that said it's probable that he doesn't come over to the WJC but it does happen sometimes.

He played for Rochester.

Avs are thin on wings and they need him, if he sticks and he should, he will play an important role.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Its unfortunate Roy decided to punish him for the line not working. Soderberg didnt have a good game either.

Rendulic isnt an NHL player. If Rantanen is going to stick with the team he needs good linemates.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I understand Roy didn't feel like giving the Soderberg line ice-time because everytime they got on ice they had to spend the entire shift in their own zone.

But what I don't understand is why he didn't shuffle the lines in 3rd when it was clear the top 6 players wasn't getting anything done either. As far as I was concerned Rantanen made goodish decisions the whole game whenever he got the puck. Should have given the kid chance when things had gone downhill already (1-4 to 5-4). Nothing to loss there anymore.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Its unfortunate Roy decided to punish him for the line not working. Soderberg didnt have a good game either.

Rendulic isnt an NHL player. If Rantanen is going to stick with the team he needs good linemates.

Soda didn't have a good pre season either, I hope we see Mackinnon-Rantanen next game, they've looked great together.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Does seem like quite a waste to put him out there on the 4th line. Give the kid some minutes.
Eh, it doesn't hurt to break a guy in slowly like that. Same thing happened to Horvat last year, as he began to prove himself, he worked his way from the 4th line/press box to where he is now, starting the year as an all-situation 2nd line C.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

Maybe Roy thought Rantanen could carry the line.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
What did you expect from a guy who could only score 20 points in Liiga? No way that he can even come close to what McKinnon did in his rookie year. It's more likely that they will send him down.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What did you expect from a guy who could only score 20 points in Liiga? No way that he can even come close to what McKinnon did in his rookie year. It's more likely that they will send him down.

He looked good playing on his off wing, so I really have a hard time grasping what you're on about.

PS

He also looked great in preseason.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He looked good playing on his off wing, so I really have a hard time grasping what you're on about.

PS

He also looked great in preseason.

It's also a different league where he is playing :laugh:

I love how we Finns hope to see our prospects fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad