RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Purely from the game last night it seemed he needs a bit of time to mature even as the talent is obvious. Again, solely from one wieving.

This wasn't his best game but still their line was the best for the Avs and he was strong defensively.

I like the Mac-Rantanen duo but Comeau doesn't fit into it, they get the pressure in the O-zone and when the puck gets to Comeau it's over.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Purely from the game last night it seemed he needs a bit of time to mature even as the talent is obvious. Again, solely from one viewing.

Trust me, that was easily his worst performance of preseason or training camp. Even for a big guy he is physically immature, but if that is the only problem with his game, it is a good one. It shows how much talent is there and that is not the reason why he wouldn't be making the NHL.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I remember talk that he could end up a center in the NHL, is it the Avs center depth keeping him from getting a look there or is he genuinely just more suited to playing on the wing?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This wasn't his best game but still their line was the best for the Avs and he was strong defensively.

I like the Mac-Rantanen duo but Comeau doesn't fit into it, they get the pressure in the O-zone and when the puck gets to Comeau it's over.

Trust me, that was easily his worst performance of preseason or training camp. Even for a big guy he is physically immature, but if that is the only problem with his game, it is a good one. It shows how much talent is there and that is not the reason why he wouldn't be making the NHL.

And he was still Avs best possession player, his game is jaw-dropingly good for a kid his age. Casual fans might not be blow away because he's not flashy, but the kid just plays so smart it's a joy to watch.

I remember talk that he could end up a center in the NHL, is it the Avs center depth keeping him from getting a look there or is he genuinely just more suited to playing on the wing?

He's a natural winger.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012

I'm glad he was center when he was junior, but I think he will be better winger than center in NHL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And he was still Avs best possession player, his game is jaw-dropingly good for a kid his age. Casual fans might not be blow away because he's not flashy, but the kid just plays so smart it's a joy to watch.

And he can play with anyone.
I'm starting to like the MacRantanen duo, only line that could put any kind of pressure last nigth,
that duo can become deadly and quick, they create scoring chances in every shift but Comeau needs to be taken out of that, he's not at their level and ends up with the wrong decision and the pressure dies.

Rantanen has been very underrated defensively here, showed it last night again and on the 2nd period especially, he's a forward who doesn't stop skating when they lose the puck, he skates back and comes back with it.

I said in our Boston draft threads that Rantanen will surprise a lot of people and win a roster spot right away and he has earned it.

Last edited:

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Roy said it was "looking good". Should be official tomorrow. I'm real excited he made the team, he's worked his butt off in preseason and gave them no choice but to keep him.

Ditto. For as much as there is to be jaded about in sports, it's refreshing and satisfying to see a young guy like this earn his way.

And I don't think they'd keep him without considering whether they thought he could handle it. It's almost impossible to think they didn't consider how he played against grown men in Finland.

There's a lot that's right about this.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Rantanen was who I wanted the Avs to draft and I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect him to be this good this soon. Rantanen is such a steal for the Avs especially... We needed a replacement for Mackinnon at RW and it was basically gifted to us because we played well below our level at the start of last season. On purpose? Nah... but it worked out for us :nod:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Loved this kid in the draft. Good to hear he looked good in preseason. I wanted to watch him but could never find any Avs games anywhere.

How many points did he end up with in the preseason? Do you think he starts on 2nd line or 3rd (or are they rolling 3 lines)?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He scored a goal. Let's just say that was one of the better preseason performances on the team. Third line to start, we expect 3 scoring lines and a lot of shuffling so whatever you hear likely isn't set in stone.

Yes, that's my video and the only one that exists.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's great Rantanen make, Colorado's season opening roster.
But this might mean that, Rantanen wont show up to world juniors in Helsinki.

Am i right?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
It's great Rantanen make, Colorado's season opening roster.
But this might mean that, Rantanen wont show up to world juniors in Helsinki.

Am i right?

Depends on how he's doing.
Anthony Duclair made NYR's opening roster last season, then was sent to the WJC, and finished the season in Junior. The NHL team decides whether he plays or not.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't count on it, they didn't send MacKinnon. If he's in San Antonio at that time then maybe. The Avs don't flip flop on prospects. The fact that they see him as a NHL player now probably means it stays that way.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Ofcourse if Rantanen has anywhere near MacKinnon-esque production in his rookie year he's not going to be playing in World Juniors. If he's struggling (which, during a long season, and being 18 is probable at some point) then I don't see why they wouldn't want to give him a break from the grind and get his confidence up by letting him play in WJC.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
When I did this thread there was (still is) posts about how he probably will never make it to the NHL and he will be new Joel Armia.

So really nice to see him make it in his first year.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
When I did this thread there was (still is) posts about how he probably will never make it to the NHL and he will be new Joel Armia.

Did you honestly expect to see Mikko Rantanen playing in an NHL lineup one year ago? Some people perhaps hoped for such a thing, but I don't know how many were seriously considering it. A monumental effort from him and he's not losing a step against the other recent high draft picks from Finland. Who knows, he could even be the best of the bunch. We'll know that once we get to compare career totals down the line.

I still think kids shouldn't play in a league like NHL, purely from a medical point of view. That means no McDavid, Eichel, etc. as well.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Did you honestly expect to see Mikko Rantanen playing in an NHL lineup one year ago? Some people perhaps hoped for such a thing, but I don't know how many were seriously considering it. A monumental effort from him and he's not losing a step against the other recent high draft picks from Finland. Who knows, he could even be the best of the bunch. We'll know that once we get to compare career totals down the line.

I still think kids shouldn't play in a league like NHL, purely from a medical point of view. That means no McDavid, Eichel, etc. as well.
No, I didn't expect but I saying he will never make it is odd/stupid. I actually didn't know what to expect from him. Maybe AHL season, but I really didn't see him making it as soon as he made it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

+1. People told me the same things but I believe in the kid.

A year ago? No. This spring? Yes. I thought he'd have a similar season to Pastrnak last year. Going to the AHL first for ~30 games and tearing it up, then joining the NHL but I also thought there was a decent possibility for him to crack an NHL roster right out of camp, depending on which team drafted him. Happy to see he is doing well so far.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As a Finn I hope he doesn't play for us at the U20, if he doesn't then it means he is doing very well and I want that.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I thought he'd have a similar season to Pastrnak last year. Going to the AHL first for ~30 games and tearing it up, then joining the NHL

That's what I expected out of him for this season. Thinking back, it may be that I've severely underestimated his defensive game. Rantanen himself said on several occasions that the NA rink size fits his style better, so the adjustment period could have already passed. Perhaps the hype bombardment from Finnish hockey media also distorts this a bit -- Rantanen hasn't quite had the exposure of Granlund and the like. Suddenly he's become one of the most interesting Finnish players in NHL. I hope they get the ball rolling quickly with the line he ends up in.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I like the fact that Mikko is flying under the radar a bit, no need for any added pressure (and on this board, tiresome overhype and the bickering as response to said overhype).

Congrats for making the team, Mikko :handclap:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ofcourse if Rantanen has anywhere near MacKinnon-esque production in his rookie year he's not going to be playing in World Juniors. If he's struggling (which, during a long season, and being 18 is probable at some point) then I don't see why they wouldn't want to give him a break from the grind and get his confidence up by letting him play in WJC.

That won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad