RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
It's also a different league where he is playing :laugh:

I love how we Finns hope to see our prospects fail.

I'm not hoping to see him fail, but I think it's gonna be a few years before he will be able to produce anything. And of course there is always a chance that he might be a bust.

I think it would be better for him to play top line minutes in the AHL than grind it out in NHL playing 7 minutes a night.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I think it would be better for him to play top line minutes in the AHL than grind it out in NHL playing 7 minutes a night.

I think everybody agrees with this. The question is, is he playing 7 minutes a night.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not hoping to see him fail, but I think it's gonna be a few years before he will be able to produce anything. And of course there is always a chance that he might be a bust.

He was one of the best forwards for Avs in the pre season, looked great with Mack, MacRantanen was the only line that could create scoring chances regularly and keep the puck possession, they created chances pretty much every shift.

But this was the 1st game, hopefully Roy plans to play him more/use him more now that his 1st game is over, he is 1 of their best wingers and they are going to need his help.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Yes one game is indicative of his usage for the entire year.

Also, as I said the Avs do things very much their own way. I can't predict the future but I know their mentality and approach to the lineup and their roster. Rantanen is going to stay and play, he's going to be given every opportunity to make an impact. It might take a little time but he's not going to get yanked around like many teams do with their prospects.

The Avs don't care about this 9 game thing. It's possible he gets sent down some day but it won't have anything to do with that "deadline".

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If / when Colorado sent Rantanen to San Antonio, he might participate Finland in world juniors.
But of course, there's not any guarantees for that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's not ready to be playing in the NHL. It's not doing him or the team any good. Should either be playing in the AHL or Finland.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He's not ready to be playing in the NHL. It's not doing him or the team any good. Should either be playing in the AHL or Finland.
What's changed? He didn't play bad compared to his linemates in the season opener. I didn't watch the 2nd game though.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

Guess you're not watching the game right now then. He's been just fine. Has made some great defensive plays with his quick stick and positioning. Also has great patience in the offensive zone.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I saw 30mins of game(the last part) and he looked good, made strong defensive plays and passes.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's a big guy and has played against men for two years. It's not like plopping a 170 lbs OHL center in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Since he's a winger he can be properly sheltered.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Re-watching the game, he drew two penalties, the 2nd one by forcing Niemi to put the puck over the glass which led to the Avs scoring to cut the Dallas lead to 3-2, couple shifts later he makes a great read, follows his winger down low and cuts away the pass to prevent a tap in goal and keeps the Avs in the game, moments later Stars take a penalty and the Avs tie the game, if you aren't looking for it you'll miss that, but that was the turning point and Mikko played a gigantic role, but sure send him down, he's not ready.

He's incredibly poised for his age.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
What's changed? He didn't play bad compared to his linemates in the season opener. I didn't watch the 2nd game though.

He actually even looked better in game 2. Created a couple nice scoring chances by feeding the puck to players (Rendulic and someone else, don't remember who) right in front of the net and also had some really good defensive plays breaking up passes.

He'll be fine and I think it's a matter of time before he gets to play with Duchene.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
0 points in 5 games, playing under 10 minutes a game.

What's the feeling here, Avs fans? Will they really burn the 1st year of the ELC?

He's doing fine, against Boston he was their best forward but the team has lots of problems right now.
They never really seem to have the puck and the passing hasn't been pretty.

I'd guess he is safe.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

What's the feeling here, Avs fans? Will they really burn the 1st year of the ELC?

Roy is a players coach, but he is one that players have to build up trust. I think this and him being a rookie is why he's getting under 10 minutes a game.

He is just getting his feet wet for the NHL, while being brought up slowly, and Avs have been behind at crucial parts of the game, which is why he's getting less minutes. Roy simply trusts a player like Mitchell under someone like Rantanen for that GTG.

Combine all those factors together is what's going on with him. He has performed great though as a rookie, still really lanky, but the talent and creation is there. Created a couple of some good 1v1 scoring chances against Anaheim which got blocked or poke checked. Just needs to adjust his timing and some game aspects to fit against NHL defenders. And he's doing that by being brought up slowly. At the start of the year he was on the 3rd line, which was more like a 4th in terms of ice time. But he played well enough and that whole line was so bad (Rantanen - Soderberg - Rendulic) that Roy put him with Duchene and Iginla now (and hasn't looked out of place). BUT it also so happens that Duchene is doing his best Crosby impersonation and scored his first goal and points of the season last night (which was a PP). Duchene still has zero even strength points. And Iginla, I don't want to even go there. He's a good 3rd liner at best now.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He hasn't produced but he's easily a top 9 forward on this team to me. Not sure we should send him down if we want to try to make the playoffs.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Even though he's been fine this is the time he should be improving his offensive skills. And that's not going to happen playing less than 10 mins per night.

Considering he was never a force in Finland (like Barkov, Granlund etc.) but he has a lot of potential they shouldn't rush him like this.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He should stick.

Despite his limited minutes and production he's played really well. He just doesn't quite have the trust of Roy yet to play him in key moments as the games have gone on...which is to be expected as a rookie. He surely fills a nice role for the team right now as a big body with skill and a good stick defensively. While he hasn't been mistake-free he has shown plenty of strong plays so far this season.

I don't think we'll see him going anywhere as there's not exactly a bunch of guys knocking on the door to take his minutes away right now.

Roy will likely continue to bring him along slowly and it should work wonders come the second half as he clearly has the size/skill to play at this level and to me, he appears to be a fast learner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad