RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Rantanen isn't getting the attention he deserves for the same reason Glencross chose a PTO with Toronto over Colorado. The Avs have a great fanbase, but putrid national and local coverage.

But yeah, Rantanen is as close to a lock as you can get. He was the most impressive Avs player last night and it wasn't close.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wanted Rantanen with the Devils pick so badly. I think he's going to be an absolute stud, which on the Avs only adds to their very impressive forward outlook. Glad to hear he's doing well so far, can't wait to see him in the NHL!

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Avs best player in last night's game, defensive game especially jumped out I think he's more than ready for sheltered middle six duties.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
It's funny how Rantanen reminds in all aspects of Landeskog, even similarities in the looks.

So, Rantanen looks like Landeskog lite as of now. But one thing might make him Landskog E-lite - and that is his MIND. The guy thinks the game on a higher level than the Prince Valiant of Sweden. Cheers.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I kept saying before the draft that he should go 3rd overall. Way better than Strome or Marner.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Been extremely high on Rantanen for a while now. Excited of seeing him making the team at early age. Never thought he'd drop down as low as he did and remember watching the draft and hoping him to fall even further for the Panthers. However he's in a very good team now and for once it will be a lot of fun watching the Avalance games in the upcoming season.

Strome and Marner are great prospects but something tells me a couple of teams will be disappointed about passing up on this guy. Obviously a bit biased so no point taking the comment too seriously. :)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's funny how Rantanen reminds in all aspects of Landeskog, even similarities in the looks.

So, Rantanen looks like Landeskog lite as of now. But one thing might make him Landskog E-lite - and that is his MIND. The guy thinks the game on a higher level than the Prince Valiant of Sweden. Cheers.

Gabriel Landeskog is one of the most cerebral players in the game right now, he's always in the right spot and his hockey IQ is through the roof, if Rantanen's IQ is higher than Landeskog's coupled with the combination of size, playmaking ability and skating then the Avs have a budding superstar on their hands.

Anyway he looks really really good, his poise and ability to adapt to any situation he's put in is downright amazing, he's been up and down the lineup and he's the standout on each line he's played on thus far. From what I've heard and from what I've seen he's been the most impressive player in the games he's played in.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
From what i saw of him last season, i'm not really even surprised that he made the NHL as early as possible.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Glad to hear Rantanen is doing well. A bit of a favorite of mine from last year. Had him #8 on my list and thought he was one of few guys that could have a Pastrnak-like impact in his first year. Really glad he went over to NA right away and didn't stay in Finland an additional year. Think it's the right move for a player like him.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Great to hear that he's doing well. Rantanen is one of my favourite prospects, so if he makes the team I might just start watching Colorado's games.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
In a way it's sort of funny how limited exposure Rantanen received prior to his draft year. On the one hand, you had McEichel amongst other high caliber prospects coming up in the NA while there was limited amount of high end prospects showing up from Europe. Then on the other, Finland had Puljujärvi and Laine emerging one year after and the hype around those two have been rather large (while still warranted). Rantanen was sort of the odd man out and a nice luxury. While most who've observed him actually know how much potential there is.

I've always had him in the group after McEichel from 2015 and it was just really odd seeing you could get a guy like that (who'd also propably be able to play NHL on the following year) available to be picked at #10. Whoknows, if all things pan out he could be the steal of the draft. Atleast the early signs seem to point out to that direction. Really exciting seeing all these towering skill players coming out from a small country that's produced small'ish players year after year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Really thrilled he should make the opening night roster. From my (limited) viewings, he just doesn't look like a rookie. He belongs out there. Maybe that changes when the real games start, but I doubt it.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I also think Avs is a perfect team for Rantanen. They play the kind of system he's going to thrive in. I can actually see Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen being a very good line for them down the road and a line that's going to be tough to play against in the playoffs. I can see some similarities to the Saad-Toews-Hossa line the Hawks has had so much success with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He is the player I wanted Avs to draft the most, and when it went down to Crouse/Rantanen, I swear I thought Avs were going to pick the North American CHLer. This is because that was basically the Avs history record of drafting, but hearing Sakic say, "from TPS...", I was just dumbfounded and in pure shock....in a good way.

If he makes it to the NHL does it mean we won't see him in the WJC?????
It depends on how impactful he is at the NHL level. So far he has probably been Avs best forward in all of preseason overall, but these next two games will be filled with majority of the NHL roster. If he continues to preform like he has, it will probably be looking less and less likely at the WJC. And that is because of how good he has looked, even I, a huge Rantanen fan is surprised how NHL ready he is. Just goes to show that his intelligence is off the marks and his ability to cause turnovers seems like we have never lost Ryan O'Reilly. His defensive stick in particular could be at O'Reilly's potential once he gets experience.

It would be a big loss, no doubt about that but not a Medal one considering how deep Finland's team is going to be this year IMO.

I also think Avs is a perfect team for Rantanen. They play the kind of system he's going to thrive in. I can actually see Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen being a very good line for them down the road and a line that's going to be tough to play against in the playoffs. I can see some similarities to the Saad-Toews-Hossa line the Hawks has had so much success with.
It really is, because like MacKinnon, he will be playing with NHL quality forwards and doesn't have to be relied on heavy minutes. And if he gets heavily minutes, it will because he earned them. But so far Roy is experimenting with some chemistry and he has been with MacKinnon recently. So not sure if the Landeskog-Soderberg-Rantanen line which started the preseason will be there at the end of it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I kept saying before the draft that he should go 3rd overall. Way better than Strome or Marner.

I bet you got few responses to that :laugh:

It's been impressive to follow this pre season that no matter who or where he plays he is one of the best players on.
The last few games he has played against LA&Calgary NHL rosters and still he has been top guys on ice.

And his attitude is the best part with him, modest guy who is willing to put the work in, he will go far in this league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs game will be on NHL Network tonight against the Ducks so i'm sure he will get some recognition. The Flames broadcast crew were very impressed by him two nights ago.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Avs are down to 26 including 2 PTOs, 2 two way AHLers and 1 that will surely go on IR so Rantanen basically made the team today.

At the start of camp I had my bets on AHL development for Rants. Now barring any surprises he looks like a lock to make the team

Winchester can't get cut so we only have two cuts left. Talk is between 2/4 of Skille, Glencross, Rendulic, and Everberg. If I had a say I'd cut Guenin but that's not happening

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Purely from the game last night it seemed he needs a bit of time to mature even as the talent is obvious. Again, solely from one wieving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad