RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
These are the type of players I like. Intantigles that do not show up in points. Rantanen just may be the best player not playing in the NHL right now. I don't recall a player that was just drafted that is playing over a PPG in the AHL.

You must have a short memory, because it happened as early as last year with pastrnak.

And best player outside of the nhl? Lol, there is this kid that is going to go first overall this draft that begs to differ. And I believe you mean prospect, there are some pretty good players outside of the nhl.

___

Rantanen is beast, I can't wait to see the Finns down the road at big tournaments, there has been such a resurgence in the system.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You must have a short memory, because it happened as early as last year with pastrnak.

And best player outside of the nhl? Lol, there is this kid that is going to go first overall this draft that begs to differ. And I believe you mean prospect, there are some pretty good players outside of the nhl.

___

Rantanen is beast, I can't wait to see the Finns down the road at big tournaments, there has been such a resurgence in the system.

At the moment does not mean better prospect or player. LOL Funny you would read it like that. Rantanen is a great prospect.

Matthews has 21 points in 19 games in the Swiss league. Pretty good, he is a great prospect. Rantanen has 19 points in 15 games at the AHL. That's very good too and he is a great prospect. The AHL is the league that best develops NHL talent. I don't think anyone reasonable would dispute this.

Can you think of a recent player that was just drafted this summer jumping into the AHL that is producing over a PPG? He may not maintain this pace, or he may. But it does not mean it is not impressive what he is doing as a very young man in the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Can you think of a recent player that was just drafted this summer jumping into the AHL that is producing over a PPG?
Second boldface is different than your original comment.

I don't recall a player that was just drafted that is playing over a PPG in the AHL. .

If you meant 'this summer', you should clarify that.
----

Puljujarvi
Rantanen
Laine

Finns are going to be gigantic on the wings.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm very high on Rants, but those numbers have exceeded even my expectations.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm very high on Rants, but those numbers have exceeded even my expectations.

Just a credit to the player. He's a very noticeable player as well, so it's never like he's picking up garbage points.

Absolute treat watching him play.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
It has been very nice to follow Finnish players exceed their expectations the last few years. Määttä, Ristolainen, Teräväinen, Rantanen and even guys like Pokka, Lindell and Lindbohm. Rantanen is probably my favourite Finn outside the NHL, he just seems so consistent, and consistently good. He's been an absolute beast ever since the WJC.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It has been very nice to follow Finnish players exceed their expectations the last few years. Määttä, Ristolainen, Teräväinen, Rantanen and even guys like Pokka, Lindell and Lindbohm. Rantanen is probably my favourite Finn outside the NHL, he just seems so consistent, and consistently good. He's been an absolute beast ever since the WJC.

That's I keep saying, Finland at major tournaments is going to be a real force. They've always been competitive and never a team you want to run into; but they're adding a ton of elite talent to the system.

Good stuff, great for hockey.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

___

At the moment does not mean better prospect or player. LOL Funny you would read it like that. Rantanen is a great prospect.

Matthews has 21 points in 19 games in the Swiss league. Pretty good, he is a great prospect. Rantanen has 19 points in 15 games at the AHL. That's very good too and he is a great prospect. The AHL is the league that best develops NHL talent. I don't think anyone reasonable would dispute this.

Can you think of a recent player that was just drafted this summer jumping into the AHL that is producing over a PPG? He may not maintain this pace, or he may. But it does not mean it is not impressive what he is doing as a very young man in the AHL.
Wow. If you take offense to the post I quoted....then I don't know what to say, really.
He didn't downplay him, he's just not agreeing with you.
He suggested that Matthews was better and there were a handful of other players in the conversation for best player outside of the NHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He has already played in a men's league at age 17, and when it was reported when his ice time doubled he took off. Now as a 18 just turned 19 year old he is producing at above a PPG against men again in the AHL level. He's probably the best player not playing in the NHL at the moment. A good case can be made for this since he has been playing against older for years now. He is also 6'4 211lbs. He has the size necessary to play against men. He's a terrific prospect that I had a #13 overall last year. In retrospect that may have been a little low. The Avs got a gem here. I would even say they got value at 10.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And a pretty bad one at that

Bad at what?

He has already played in a men's league at age 17, and when it was reported when his ice time doubled he took off. Now as a 18 just turned 19 year old he is producing at above a PPG against men again in the AHL level. He's probably the best player not playing in the NHL at the moment. A good case can be made for this since he has been playing against older for years now. He is also 6'4 211lbs. He has the size necessary to play against men. He's a terrific prospect that I had a #13 overall last year. In retrospect that may have been a little low. The Avs got a gem here. I would even say they got value at 10.

Rants is definitely showing why the Avs were thinking about moving up to 8th to pick him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
2 Finns > 1 Swede

Avs wanted to move to 6th to take him.

I'm actually so happy we got rid of Pracey, cause I can almost guarantee we would've picked Crouse instead of Rantanen if he was still around. At the very least, would've been a lot closer.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
2 Finns > 1 Swede

Avs wanted to move to 6th to take him.

Why do I remember Sakic quotes saying 8th?

Would be top6 that has everything, elite talent, size, skating, 2way game and under 25y all of them.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Puljujarvi
Rantanen
Laine

Finns are going to be gigantic on the wings.

At the moment Finns have a gigantic shortage of them!

Screen_Shot_2015_12_08_at_8_58_02_PM.png

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wonder if any of the Finnish fans could comment on his linemates in at the Worlds.

Rantanen with Puljujarvi looks enticing on paper.

Coedae

Apr 10, 2011
Wonder if any of the Finnish fans could comment on his linemates in at the Worlds.

Really don't know the lines yet.

Rantanen is main forward with Aho, Laine, Puljujärvi, Kapanen. We have so good wingers this year that somebody of them might play center (probably Aho).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Rantanen will play as the #1 RW, and IMO he's a lock to be the captain. Last year he had Hintz as his center, but we don't know yet whether the new coach wants to reunite them or not. Assuming that he does, then a line of X - Hintz - Rantanen would IMO be completed with one of Laine, Aho or Kapanen. Puljujärvi is likely the #2 RW, so I don't see him playing with Rantanen, at least not in 5-on-5 situations.

Whoever his linemates end up being, Rantanen is pretty much expected to be the driving force in that line.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Why do I remember Sakic quotes saying 8th?

Would be top6 that has everything, elite talent, size, skating, 2way game and under 25y all of them.

They were thinking about moving to 6th and then when he was still there at 8th they really wanted to move up, luckily the Sharks took Meier.

BTW he's dominating the AHL playing on his off wing, something he hasn't done thus far in his career on regular basis.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Is everyone forgetting that Rantanen used to play center (and considering his eye for making plays, it's a good spot for him)? Just weighing all the options here; is it better "centerify" a guy who hasn't really played the position before (Aho) or a guy who used to play said position?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Is everyone forgetting that Rantanen used to play center (and considering his eye for making plays, it's a good spot for him)? Just weighing all the options here; is it better "centerify" a guy who hasn't really played the position before (Aho) or a guy who used to play said position?

Who said Aho is going to play C? I never heard about that. I just figured Rantanen, Laine, Pulju, Aho would be the top-6 wingers on the team.

Coedae

Apr 10, 2011
I just figured Rantanen, Laine, Pulju, Aho would be the top-6 wingers on the team.

Yeah, but we also have Kasperi Kapanen. Really deep team if somebody of Rants, Laine, Pulju, Aho and Kapanen play third line minutes (5-on-5).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who said Aho is going to play C? I never heard about that. I just figured Rantanen, Laine, Pulju, Aho would be the top-6 wingers on the team.

Pretty good winger depth if Kapanen is on the 3rd line :) :handclap:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I don't understand the logic here. Why would either one of Aho or Rantanen play center, when Finland has Hintz, Nättinen and Saarela as the top 3 centers of the team? Yeah, Rantanen played some center in the junior level, but he's been a winger during his entire pro career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad