RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Thanks. Don't worry, we've set our sights on better players anyways.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he does fall a little bit, the whole Euro thing must scare some GMs off. I read that he used to be an Avs fan as a kid, however now is a Penguins fan. Maybe Avs could be a good fit for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
When I read Rantanen I keep thinking the name Lauri Tukonen from the 2004 draft and how he was highly regarded for being NHL ready and was playing against men already in the SM-Liiga.

Drafted 11th overall by LA.

Leading up to the 2004 Draft Hockeys Future Staff mock draft had him 8th overall (to Carolina) just after Rob Schremp.

Bob McKenzie / TSN had him 5th overall in his final rankings. [Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Montoya ahead].

End of the day Tukonen played in 5 NHL games and didn't even register a point.

Did you feel the same way about Barkov too? NHL ready, played against men already... Don't worry, Rantanen played against juniors too.

Seriously though the possibility of another Tukonen is far slimmer nowadays. Just look at the names you mentioned: Barker, Montoya, Schremp... 6 of the top 11 are NHL players, and that includes Montoya and Smid. I do believe that scouting has become better since that.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Thanks. Don't worry, we've set our sights on better players anyways.

Hopefully you don't think "these" players are significally better cause then you would be flatout delusional. The tier after McEichel is wide and doesn't really tip the scale all so much one way or another. I'd be as disappointed if he'd ended up there as the previous poster. Luckily, very unlikely it'd be happening.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
When I read Rantanen I keep thinking the name Lauri Tukonen from the 2004 draft and how he was highly regarded for being NHL ready and was playing against men already in the SM-Liiga.

Tukonen and Rantanen have had very different paths to Liiga. Tukonen was physically well developed already at early age and therefore they wanted to place him in mens team already at age of 15. Despite his early experience from games against men, Tukonen didn't show anything special in Liiga before leaving to NA.
Tukonen is a decent goalscorer but his understanting of the game makes him more suitable for bottom six role than to top six role.

Rantanen has fought his way to Liiga and he has played well against men.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Actually, Barkov was going 4 in most mocks. It was Jones, Mac and Drouin. NAS fans here were pretty certain they were gong to be getting that "big #1C" their team has lacked. I don't think they are unhappy with the way things have worked out, but they were definitely pencilling Barkov in for awhile.
Yep. If we had won the lottery, we take MacK, and I truly believe Barkov goes at #4 to the Predators.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
Here's a 50min shift-by-shift video of Mikko Rantanen (#96, golden helmet) that I made a few months ago.

I was bored and watched through the whole thing.

A few plays caught my eye:

5:10 - Nice pass

13:27 - Takeaway, followed by another nice pass

14:00 - Patience, screening, no-look pass

15:50 - Granlu....Rantanen

18:55 - Great board play + a "didn't see that coming"

32:45 - Goal!

35:15 - Acceleration

40:25 - One-on-one

46:45 - Lost the puck, recovered the puck

47:25 - Nifty deke

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
The Leafs finally have a GM!

I mean really, why would we waste the #4 pick on someone who's projected to go between 10-18?

Why would we take Rantanen if we had one of Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, or Strome....

Or Barzal, or Werenski, or Connor, or Zacha....

See where I'm going with this?

Fulton44*

Might be the most underrated guy in the top 10. It seems like, for whatever reason, a lot of people are just trying too hard to poke holes in this kids game.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Size and skill. Good combo and add that he isn't even training at his full potential yet as everybody knows Liiga teams aren't in NHL level what comes to training strength etc.

Fulton44*

I've seen a lot people question Rantanen's skating and I personally don't see it. I've watched a lot of video on him and what I see is a really big guy who might not be a great skater but is a very good skater, especially for his size.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I've seen a lot people question Rantanen's skating and I personally don't see it. I've watched a lot of video on him and what I see is a really big guy who might not be a great skater but is a very good skater, especially for his size.
They questioned his skating????

th

He can really skate from what I've seen, not just for a big guy either. I don't know where the heck they get that from. lol
I hope that gets him sliding down that draft board though. :)

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014

I think the problem with his skating is the balance. He hasn't fully grown into his body yet, but once he gains more strength, he's gonna be a great skater. You can see he has naturally "fast genes" (The opposite would be someone like Barkov, who has slooow genes). Also, some people compared him to Voracek, so if you expected to see a Voracek 2.0, whose whole game is based on speed, you were in for a disappointment.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Rantanen was awful skater two years ago and even one year ago his skating was definitely below average. Skating has taken huge strides forward during the last two years.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I would really like to see this kid go to the Avs. I think he could be the type of player that could really help Duchene's game. Hopefully nobody picks him in the top 9. I'd be interested to know where he is in Sakic and Roy's prospect rankings.

I'm starting to get pretty excited for friday ! :D

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Why would we take Rantanen if we had one of Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, or Strome.... Or Barzal, or Werenski, or Connor, or Zacha....

That's why I predict he will fall. There are so many good players up for grabs that everyone can be happy without picking Rantanen. I'm pretty high on him also so someone with a mid-1st will get a total steal.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Kid is 6'4/ 210lbs with 7% fat in his body and still room to grow. Plays 200 foot game, plays hard and hustles alot in forecheck. His away from puck game reminds me alot from Mikko Koivu. He has tons of skill, can make plays or score goals, goes always to the net in the offensive zone with and without the puck. He is player who spend very little time on perimeter. When he steps on ice he is easy to notice most of the time.

Was one of the best players in WJC for draft eligible player. Didn't rack up points against weak opponents he was at his best against tough competition. Plays very north american game. He has it all what NHL teams drools for. Add his leadership skills too then we get total package. Top 10 in my books for sure.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I would really like to see this kid go to the Avs. I think he could be the type of player that could really help Duchene's game. Hopefully nobody picks him in the top 9. I'd be interested to know where he is in Sakic and Roy's prospect rankings.

I'm starting to get pretty excited for friday ! :D

If we get him at #10 I'll be really really happy. Looks like a player..

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
That's why I predict he will fall. There are so many good players up for grabs that everyone can be happy without picking Rantanen. I'm pretty high on him also so someone with a mid-1st will get a total steal.

I agree he can fall to 11-13 range but beyond that, no way.

McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin, Provonov, Barzal, Zacha, Werenski, Connor and Meier could all go ahead of him but no way he falls more than that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree he can fall to 11-13 range but beyond that, no way.

McDavid, Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin, Provonov, Barzal, Zacha, Werenski, Connor and Meier could all go ahead of him but no way he falls more than that.

I can't see him falling past Avalanche #10. They need depth on wings and Roy loves players with size. Rantanen is too perfect to skip.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
3rd best prospect in the draft. In a tier above Barzal, Marner, Strome, etc. And Barzal is an amazing player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad