RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
The 3 players that I'm most interested in the Leafs drafting at #4 are (in Order) Mitch Marner, Matt Barzal, and Lawson Crouse. However I would be just as happy if the Leafs reached for Mikko Rantanen. The more I watch Mikko Rantanen, the more he reminds me of a Mats Sundin type player.

You lost me on that last one...

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
I don't think there's a more polarizing guy in the top 10 of this draft. I could honestly see him going anywhere from 4 to 12.

I highly doubt he's going to go any higher than 7. I've been surprised at drafts before, but with the hype Hanifin has gotten all year and with how Provorov has shot up the rankings, I can't see people taking Rantanen before them.

Fulton44*

I highly doubt he's going to go any higher than 7. I've been surprised at drafts before, but with the hype Hanifin has gotten all year and with how Provorov has shot up the rankings, I can't see people taking Rantanen before them.
Every year there is always one or two players in the top 10 who go way earlier or way later than expected. Just my opinion but I think Rantanen could really go either way in that regard.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Statistics say that forwards taken top 10 do significantly better than defenseman taken in the same area. Plus a lot of teams can see how these big powerful skilled forwards are required to do well in the playoffs. That alone could easily vault Rantanen above defenseman who may, at this point in time anyway, be projected to have higher upsides.

Fulton44*

I think the biggest thing people need to consider as it relates to this draft is this: after Mcdavid and Eichel go 1 and 2 all bets are off in this draft. There is a lot of talent, people will evaluate that talent differently, draft differently (need, value), and all it takes is one team at say 3, 4, or 5 to really like someone and turn the draft upside down.

To take it one step further, Marner, Hanifin, and Strome will likely be next off the board after the big 2 but even if that's the case things start to get really interesting at picks 6, 7, and 8 with NJ, Phi, and CB. If I've learned anything from following NHL drafts over the years it's to expect the unexpected.

Total hunch here on my part but I could see Kyle Connor and/or Timo Meier going between 6 and 10 and some other guys falling. You just never know.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As with many of the recent top-ranked Euro skaters, Rantanen could go anywhere outside of the top-2.

Forsberg, for instance, was being heavily considered by the CBJ in 2012 at #2, but Murray was taken (and I believe Galchenyuk was also ahead). Forsberg ended up falling to Washington.

Barkov in 2013 was projected to go somewhere in the top-3 but many believed Jones and/or Drouin would be taken ahead of him. Instead, he goes 2nd.

Finally, there's Kapanen who was highly touted last year but fell all the way to Pittsburgh.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
It's funny that a couple of months ago he was constantly ranked at #5, #6 or #7. Since then, he hasn't played a single game but the consensus seems to be now that he will go #10-#16. Go figure.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
My hunch is he has a similar draft-day drop to Nichushkin and a similar post-draft impact earlier than most of the forwards taken ahead of him. I don't know if I see the long-term upside compared to Marner/Strome/Barzal however. If Toronto gets a second pick in the top 15 he'd be a great selection to go with Marner/Hanifins at 4.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Since he is the current jewel of my team's junior program, and one of the few bright spots in the team's enduring darkness, I hope he doesn't end up in Toronta even if it means getting selected high. While he seems quite level-headed, I wouldn't wish that type of media scrutiny on anyone, let alone a kid bearing the expectations of being a 1st round pick there.

There is an unusual and new sense of mercy from the Toronto media now.

The Maple Leafs have come out and said we are rebuilding and don't expect to win. The way things are being operated in Toronto, a guy like Marner or Rantanen can actually come play in the NHL as a young kid and it wouldn't be anything like what guys like Nazem Kadri and Luke Schenn went through. The other benefit of a European kid being drafted by Toronto is that the AHL team arena is a 10 minute drive from the NHL arena. If he looks uncomfortable and struggles as a 18 or 19 year old, he's eligible to be sent down to the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Much like how Nylander came over as a 18 year old kid and flourished.

I have no doubt the Maple Leafs are looking at Rantanen.

It would be amazing to trade Phil Kessel to get into the top 10 and grab Rantanen.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As with many of the recent top-ranked Euro skaters, Rantanen could go anywhere outside of the top-2.

Forsberg, for instance, was being heavily considered by the CBJ in 2012 at #2, but Murray was taken (and I believe Galchenyuk was also ahead). Forsberg ended up falling to Washington.

Barkov in 2013 was projected to go somewhere in the top-3 but many believed Jones and/or Drouin would be taken ahead of him. Instead, he goes 2nd.

Finally, there's Kapanen who was highly touted last year but fell all the way to Pittsburgh.

Actually, Barkov was going 4 in most mocks. It was Jones, Mac and Drouin. NAS fans here were pretty certain they were gong to be getting that "big #1C" their team has lacked. I don't think they are unhappy with the way things have worked out, but they were definitely pencilling Barkov in for awhile.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure he will fall out of the top 10. Teräväinen fell to 18th and a similar projection could be made for Rantanen. There are so many good picks available that the teams don't need to go out on a limb in picking an Euro player with limited NA exposure at say, 4OA. It's just a greater chance that he might end up at a championship-caliber team right away. It's also what I like about the draft -- That it's not an ordered list of BPA handed out to teams, but that mix-ups can and will happen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think the biggest thing people need to consider as it relates to this draft is this: after Mcdavid and Eichel go 1 and 2 all bets are off in this draft. There is a lot of talent, people will evaluate that talent differently, draft differently (need, value), and all it takes is one team at say 3, 4, or 5 to really like someone and turn the draft upside down.

To take it one step further, Marner, Hanifin, and Strome will likely be next off the board after the big 2 but even if that's the case things start to get really interesting at picks 6, 7, and 8 with NJ, Phi, and CB. If I've learned anything from following NHL drafts over the years it's to expect the unexpected.

Total hunch here on my part but I could see Kyle Connor and/or Timo Meier going between 6 and 10 and some other guys falling. You just never know.

Lots of Flyers fans want Connor as their pick.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Rantanen is my first choice at 9 for the Sharks. I hope they don't pass on him he he drops that far. If he's gone, then Conner would be my next choice.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Rantanen interviewed with 22 teams at the combine.
His English is pretty good, probably among the best (if not the best, excluding Määttä for obvious reasons) of Finnish prospects from recent years. Simplistic, but easily understandable. And the media attention didn't seem to faze him at all, he kept the flow going (no ääää/öööö in the middle of sentences) and not a lot of stutter.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I posted this in the Avs thread too, but I think if Rantanen drops beyond #7 or #8, he's going to very quickly make a lot of teams regret that. As in, I think he'll be in the NHL by this upcoming season or next at the latest, and he's going to be damn good.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
When I read Rantanen I keep thinking the name Lauri Tukonen from the 2004 draft and how he was highly regarded for being NHL ready and was playing against men already in the SM-Liiga.

Drafted 11th overall by LA.

Leading up to the 2004 Draft Hockeys Future Staff mock draft had him 8th overall (to Carolina) just after Rob Schremp.

Bob McKenzie / TSN had him 5th overall in his final rankings. [Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Montoya ahead].

End of the day Tukonen played in 5 NHL games and didn't even register a point.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
When I read Rantanen I keep thinking the name Lauri Tukonen from the 2004 draft and how he was highly regarded for being NHL ready and was playing against men already in the SM-Liiga.

Leading up to the 2004 Draft Hockeys Future Staff mock draft had him 8th overall (to Carolina) just after Rob Schremp.

Bob McKenzie / TSN had him 5th overall in his final rankings. [Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Montoya ahead].

Funny enough, they played in the same team last season (Tukonen and Rantanen). And no, Tukonen was nowhere near Rantanen at the same age, nor are they similar in any was except nationality.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Tukonen was nowhere near Rantanen at this age.

That's basically like saying Luke Schenn and Aaron Ekblad are comparable because they played in the NHL at 18 years of age.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Since he is the current jewel of my team's junior program, and one of the few bright spots in the team's enduring darkness, I hope he doesn't end up in Toronta even if it means getting selected high. While he seems quite level-headed, I wouldn't wish that type of media scrutiny on anyone, let alone a kid bearing the expectations of being a 1st round pick there.

Thanks. Don't worry, we've set our sights on better players anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad