RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I did not expect Rantanen to make the WHC team. He has not even been drafted yet there are better players in the finnish league who are competing with KHL and and NHL guys. Teräväinen was not selected either, and he was older and had a better season.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I do not see the skating deficiencies some are mentioning here, he gets around fine for his size and I would call him a good skater.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I do not see the skating deficiencies some are mentioning here, he gets around fine for his size and I would call him a good skater.

Yeah not the fastest skater but can move around pretty well for a guy of his size.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah not the fastest skater but can move around pretty well for a guy of his size.

He trusts he's size at the end. Could've recieved a big hit if the guy didin't buy that deke and went by him falling. But he can do that even in NHL, he'll probably be able to protect himself with size and strenght.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I'd like to see him drop to the Flames. We need a big, talented RW badly. I guess that's not very likely.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Has the draft lottery already been held? How high you guys think Rantanen will be overall? I'm getting pumped.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Is he expected to play for Finland at the WC during the summer
Nope, he was the first cut from the team. Finnish national team is pretty strict about taking youngsters in the team, especially if they're not NHLers. I wouldn't have minded Rantanen being in, but there are many equal or better choices in the European leagues.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
How does he compare to Armia in his draft year? Rantanen looks to have a similar build and stride.

He is more straight forward and physical to my eye. Looks like clearly less risk choise for north american game than Armia.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Anyone have the numbers on how productive Rantanen was before vs. after WJC?

Edit: found it. He finished with 13 points in 19 games (.684ppg) which shows a jump from his pre WJC production of 15 points in 37 games (.405ppg)

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What's the likelihood that he plays in the NHL next year? I would think playing at least one more season in Europe would be beneficial, but I don't know much about him either.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Would you trade picks with CBJ for him? We're exactly 1 spot above the Sharks

Depends on if Werenski is available. He's ahead of Rantanen and maybe Barzal is aswell in my eyes. I assume both will be gone @ 9th (a.k.a Provorov, Werenski, Barzal go 6-8 after obvious top 5).

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot in a good way. Excellent reach and puck possession skills. Maybe not the fastest explosion or acceleration but once he's skating with the puck with a bit he can get going.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
How does he compare to Armia in his draft year? Rantanen looks to have a similar build and stride.
There has been much Armia comparisons in this topic. Just search for Armia in this topic. They aren't much alike other than size and nationality.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Depends on if Werenski is available. He's ahead of Rantanen and maybe Barzal is aswell in my eyes. I assume both will be gone @ 9th (a.k.a Provorov, Werenski, Barzal go 6-8 after obvious top 5).

I don't know how he has the prospects rated but Hextall said if two prospects are rated equally Philly will go with a forward. I've been seeing Rantanen as a guy who Philly might take.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
So now that we know draft order, who do you think will pick him? Colorado/Florida @ 10/11 ?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So now that we know draft order, who do you think will pick him? Colorado/Florida @ 10/11 ?
Columbus probably will take him at 8th overall if the top 7 picks are McEichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner, Werenski, and Provorov. Forward isn't an area of concern in our organization but it makes more sense to take Rantanen than Barzal/Zacha IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad