RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
I will change my projection for this guy: He's not a solid 2nd liner, I think he will be a solid 1st liner in years to come. He has really flourished this year and at the moment it seems that he could play in NHL next year. Rantanen is like one of those excellent Swedish prospects that have it all, including size.. except he is Finnish, and most likely better than many of the top end Swedish prospects.

May I introduce to you, the top line for Finland:
Rantanen-Barkov-Puljujärvi.
Ristolainen-Määttä

Thank you lord, thank you Jesus.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Great prospect but it sounds like the hype is starting to get out of hand again.

Please lets not make him another overhyped Finnish prospect. Projected #2 line winger sounds just fine.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Great prospect but it sounds like the hype is starting to get out of hand again.

Please lets not make him another overhyped Finnish prospect. Projected #2 line winger sounds just fine.

Really? I actually think that Rantanen is still flying under the radar, despite getting more and more recognition as the season has gone forward.

I would put only Barkov, Määttä and Ristolainen ahead of him.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Really? I actually think that Rantanen is still flying under the radar, despite getting more and more recognition as the season has gone forward.

Agreed that he's been off the radar due to the American players in the toughest draft of decades. He really has everything you want in a player. Some are conserned about his shooting and creating somewhat incorrect references to Barkov in regards to his overall game. They really aren't made of the same mold. Both have great hockey IQ, size, hands and creativity but that's about it. Rantanen is far more offensive minded. Less shy about shooting the puck in the net and just awesome in one on ones. If people actually watched him play they'd already know most of this, but most HF'ers don't pay attension into European rinks so instead you get a lot of "he said she saids".

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

I would put only Barkov, Määttä and Ristolainen ahead of him.

I meant the latest posts in this thread. He's flying under the radar so lets keep it that way :D

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
The first period was his best. He looked much better than his linemates. In 2nd and 3rd period he looked more like a complementary player.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
The first period was his best. He looked much better than his linemates. In 2nd and 3rd period he looked more like a complementary player.

Not so easy to play with Kontiola & Aaltonen, cause they like the puck pretty much. Rantanen is the 13th forward today, so it's interesting to see whether he is in the team next week or not.

Fulton44*

Everything about this guy sounds great.......except his skating. As a Flyers fan that would concern me if they drafted him.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Any Finns want to chime in here. He looks A LOT like Barkov to me except a winger version. Some differences I see, Rantanen plays more physically and Barkov is a better offensive and defensive player. But they seem very similiar to me. With Barkov being a better version of him.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Any idea how his skating compares to Lawson Crouse?

So you're saying him having bad skating without even seeing him? He is very good skater for his size. Crouse is better north-south skater, Rantanen has better agility. I would say Crouse being better skater because he has better technique. Rantanen is pretty fast and very agile but his technique could need some work to maximize his developement. But Rantanen is clearly better player for me. With or without bias there is no question about that. I can't understand how some scouting agencies have Crouse over Rantanen. There is decent if not fair gap for Rantanen. Rantanen isn't riskier pick than Crouse but has much higher ceiling.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Any Finns want to chime in here. He looks A LOT like Barkov to me except a winger version. Some differences I see, Rantanen plays more physically and Barkov is a better offensive and defensive player. But they seem very similiar to me. With Barkov being a better version of him.

No... Barkov is more talented for sure. Offensively and defensively. Barkov is going to be one of the premier two-way centers for this league. But honestly Barkov lacks something what is biggest asset for Rantanen. Rantanen plays more dynamic style, challenging opponent players with dekes, heading aggressively to the blue paint without the puck looking for rebounds like dog going for piece of bone. Barkov plays more calculated game. At times too calculated. If he get's little bit of Rantanen in his game he will be elite player in this league. Rantanen doesen't have skillset that Barkov posesses or never going to be as strong or have the senses but he has the mindset of a winner. Not saying that Barkov doesen't have because he fights hard and never give up but needs more hunger to finish the plays himself and not always look for pass or slow down game. Rantanen's playing style, size, skillset and compete level is everything that every NHL-club drools for.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
So you're saying him having bad skating without even seeing him? He is very good skater for his size. Crouse is better north-south skater, Rantanen has better agility. I would say Crouse being better skater because he has better technique. Rantanen is pretty fast and very agile but his technique could need some work to maximize his developement. But Rantanen is clearly better player for me. With or without bias there is no question about that. I can't understand how some scouting agencies have Crouse over Rantanen. There is decent if not fair gap for Rantanen. Rantanen isn't riskier pick than Crouse but has much higher ceiling.

I don't understand how can you get the idea that he's implying Crouse being a better skater than Rantanen. He's very neutrally asking which one is better.

For me, Rantanen's rise has been a big (and a positive surprise). He seemed like a "meh" prospect for a long time compared to the top Finns of previous drafts, but now he seems to be a really exciting and very dynamic player, which is rare for Finnish top prospects, at least at the level Rantanen is at. There's been many of those small-ish hockey IQ and stickhandling wizards, but Rantanen is powerforwadish style is really fresh and nice.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
No... Barkov is more talented for sure. Offensively and defensively. Barkov is going to be one of the premier two-way centers for this league. But honestly Barkov lacks something what is biggest asset for Rantanen. Rantanen plays more dynamic style, challenging opponent players with dekes, heading aggressively to the blue paint without the puck looking for rebounds like dog going for piece of bone. Barkov plays more calculated game. At times too calculated. If he get's little bit of Rantanen in his game he will be elite player in this league. Rantanen doesen't have skillset that Barkov posesses or never going to be as strong or have the senses but he has the mindset of a winner. Not saying that Barkov doesen't have because he fights hard and never give up but needs more hunger to finish the plays himself and not always look for pass or slow down game. Rantanen's playing style, size, skillset and compete level is everything that every NHL-club drools for.

I'm not into turning this into Barkov vs Rantanen debate, nor is there a need to. There's no question Barkov is and will most likely be better overall player compared to Rantanen. Defensively you can't even start to make a case for Rantanen. However offensively I would place him ahead of Barkov in terms of potential. It's pretty much as you said - he's a pretty dynamic player who doesn't fear challenging the opposition or taking more risks, shooting and scoring. Sometimes it seems like the puck is glued to the stick when he dangles around a defender. I would also question regarding which one of them will turn out the stronger player on the ice. Barkov's balance f.ex. isn't elite at the moment (I've watched a number of Panther games this season) and he falls off a lot for someone his size. Another thing to take in count is the fact we are talking about a undrafted prospect who hasn't grown to his full frame yet. Quite far from it. Rantanen has a lot of bulking up ahead and yet he's already strong enough to play great boardgame vs men. These things are too early to determine.

The strides Rantanen took after last season were remarkable. If he can elevate to even higher level at the same developement pace he will be a star in a very young age. Really exciting prospect to follow.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Haven't seen the player almost at all, which is rare for Finnish prospects as I usually watch their games. Pity that he doesn't make the WHC team.

If some one has followed him, is there something he does remarkably well?

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
It looks like Finland's head coach Kari jalonen wasn't that impressed what Rantanen showed in practices and in games against Germany because Rantanen was the first forward he dropped from the team. It would have been so great for Rantanen's development if he could have train with the national team one more week.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It looks like Finland's head coach Kari jalonen wasn't that impressed what Rantanen showed in practices and in games against Germany because Rantanen was the first forward he dropped from the team. It would have been so great for Rantanen's development if he could have train with the national team one more week.

Finnish coaches have typical style of not using young talent even if it's good enough. Unless it's already in NHL, that is.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I can't understand this decision. Randy played really well in these games and he gets the first cut?? He was good enough to deserve at least an extended look in the camp.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well there is a chance that a lot of players are still coming to the team. There is no room for Rantanen at the top two lines.

Shame still that he got cut.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
When is the u18? Maybe that's why he dropped Randy now even though he deserved to be in next week's team. He wouldn't have made it to the final team anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad