RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
How does he compare to armia?

At the same age, don't see much similarities except their size. Rantanen is more consistent and plays a simpler style, while Armia was more like "bad for a while and then show a flash of awesome offensive potential". I don't remember Armia using his size to his advantage much like Rantanen does (driving to the net etc).

Rantanen seems like a nice level-headed kid already, while Armia was more of a headcase (doesn't seem to have those problems anymore though).

EDIT: hah, didn't even remember I had answered this same comparison already :laugh:

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Is his skating on the level of either of those guys?

Needs some strength training to get to those guys level but he has that natural and effortless stride which isn't always the case for the big guys. He already blew through couple guys in the WJC.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
How does he compare to armia?
They are very much different players outside of both being finns. Armia is the mold of skilled european like Semin or Vanek. Rantanen is more your prototypical NHLer int he mold of JVR or Voracek.
I don't think they're very similar. Armia's more a goalscorer while Rantanen is a playmaker. While your description of "Big, great shot, nimble, smart, protects the puck, etc." is accurate for both, they're still very different kind of players. Armia's shot and dekes are better, while Rantanen is more willing to play in the front of the net.

I don't think either is yet using their size to their full potential, but I think Rantanen is ahead in that department.
Ya from what I have seen in maybe 9 games, was that he likes to get physical more than Armia, while still having room to do so even more. Style wise, less dangles and more power protection? Not sure if that is a regular thing for him or if its a small sample size?

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
4-0 loss. 3 goals for his team in 5 games. Rantanen had a breakaway. Last three games goal difference 1-16.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
4-0 loss. 3 goals for his team in 5 games. Rantanen had a breakaway. Last three games goal difference 1-16.

Yeah, he needs to get away from there. The world has never seen a bigger dumpster fire than TPS.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015012919110864_jk.shtml

The article says Mikko's favourite player and hockey idol growing up was Peter Forsberg. Even though saying something like that would be a huge red flag for some common "Karjala cap" fans, I absolutely love this. I think Peter Forsberg is one of the best players of his generation and his style of play was simply phenomenal. I would much rather have a kid copying Forsberg's style than for example Selänne's, whose main attributes were skating fast and put the puck in the net. While it worked great for Teemu, that's really not something a kid would learn by watching him, that's only something you born with. You learn much more watching Peter play in my opinion.

- Hän oli se NHL-pelaaja, jonka katselemisesta nautin. Hän oli niin monipuolinen pelaaja, todella hyvä luistelija ja todella taitava. Minä pidin hänestä paljon, Rantanen kertoo NHL:n verkkosivujen haastattelussa.

Rantanen says: He was the NHL-player, who I liked to watch. He was so versatile player, really good skater and highly skilled. I liked him a lot"

- Olen aina ollut hyökkääjä, joko laituri tai sentteri. Minun on vain pitänyt opetella käyttämään kokoani hyväkseni. Se on jotain mihin minun täytyy tottua jatkossa päästäkseni seuraavalle tasolle, Rantanen suunnittelee.

I have always been a forward, either winger of center. I have had to use my size as an advantage. That's something I must get used to in the future to able to get to the next level.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I doubt he is actively trying to emulate being Forsberg. I think Forsberg is just his favourite player which is probably true for most people around his age. Just see how much love Forsberg gets on HF.

Anyway I really like Rantanen, I have him at 6 right now. He might even have higher upside than a couple of guys I have higher than him.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I doubt he is actively trying to emulate being Forsberg. I think Forsberg is just his favourite player which is probably true for most people around his age. Just see how much love Forsberg gets on HF.

Anyway I really like Rantanen, I have him at 6 right now. He might even have higher upside than a couple of guys I have higher than him.
Well it says in the article that Rantanen liked Foppa's style and tried to emulate it as a kid. Not that he is exactly doing it anymore.

Just curious, who do you have above him at the moment?

EDIT: BTW, Rantanen wore the golden helmet as the team's top scorer for tonight's losing effort (surprise, surprise) against Pelicans.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I've lost count how many games they have lost in a row. They lost again today 2-1. They played great game though. Rantanen was excellent.

Rantanen with the only goal.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Noticed on the highlights that he's now got the "A", as TPS has sold some of their veterans away. Don't often see 18yo's with that in Liiga.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Noticed on the highlights that he's now got the "A", as TPS has sold some of their veterans away. Don't often see 18yo's with that in Liiga.
It's a good look for him:

2015_01_31%20TPS-Blues-16.jpg

Sadly he is the only bright spot in the team this year. He scored the only goal again tonight in a 1-2 loss.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Local newspaper Etelä-Saimaa reports that 50 scouts from 15 different NHL clubs were at last night's SaiPa-TPS fixture. One assist for Rantanen in a 3-2 loss.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
That's become a common sight in this thread, "Rantanen with point(s) in a loss" :laugh:

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Local newspaper Etelä-Saimaa reports that 50 scouts from 15 different NHL clubs were at last night's SaiPa-TPS fixture. One assist for Rantanen in a 3-2 loss.

50?
They must have booked tickets to see the top prospect in Finland, expected to see Puljujärvi, but jääkiekkoliitto thought they meant this draft..

TorNsh*

This player gets talked about so little. I definitely see him as part of McKenzies top 12 that he spoke of.

Flying under the radar on these boards. Could see him as a surprise riser at the draft.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well he is a Finn.. So who is surprised that he don't get talked much.

But well if talked seriously, he gets talked. Just not much on the prospect boards.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
based solely on seeing him during wjc tournament would love for flyers to take him 1st round.

anybody got an opinion on him vs crouse or meire as flyers pick? thanks

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Just curious hypothetically folks but where should he play next year??? TPS is basically hot garbage which would suck for him so would he play in the AHL or CHL cause I don't think he's NHL ready yet.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
TPS is basically hot garbage which would suck for him so would he play in the AHL or CHL cause I don't think he's NHL ready yet.

TPS just changed their coaches and that could get things in better direction. TPS is poorly build at the moment... they have spent a lot of money to top6 role starplayers and left their bottom six filled with weaker players, that are not succesful in their role. First of all they lack a good defencive role center.
Also is notable that the team is a bit of a croup of bought mercenaries.

If they can make some sense in building their 2015-2016 team, it could be ok place for Rantanen.

Rantanen will be a very safe pick at 10-20. If he wont be good enough for top six role, he'll make it in bottom six. I guess either Minnesota, Calgary, Dallas or Florida will pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad