RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Does he primarily play wing or center with TPS?

RW. Because of injuries and a TPS fire sale, the coach had to play him as a center for a couple of games. He didn't really stand out there IMO, he's much more dangerous as a winger.

TPS has 8 more games to go in the regular season and after today's 2 helpers, Rantanen is at 22 points. He has a chance of breaking the 30 point marker, but only if he goes PPG for the rest of the season.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
I believe that in future he'll play at least 17-18 mins per game, and 30 pts is not far away with this pace.

I said this over a month ago, and Rantanen hasn't let me down with my hopes and predictions. In the end, he probably isn't going to break the 30-point mark, but he has been in that same hot streak since January, that's the most important thing with his game.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Another great game for him yesterday. Some great dekes and setups to his linemates, but no points.

Full highlights(Black jersey #96): http://pmd.nelonenmedia.fi/video/video_clip_1509098_free_360p_none.mp4

DcOh0Yp.gif

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Rantanen has some serious skill. He has shown it quite plenty of times this season. Doesn't seem to struggle with consistancy and has huge size. In a weaker draft he would be close to surefire top5 and even on the biggest draft year in a decade his name is being mentioned somewhere up there. The only thing "missing" is an elite shot and shoot first mentality. He has the traits to become an elite powerforward but due to creativity and on ice vision Rantanen seems more of a playmaker right now. Maybe this is the reason why there are hard to find comparabless. I'd think he would make a better center, but it really is hard to determine how these kids develope and a lot is depending on the organisation that drafts them and what are their needs. Don't think we will have to wait too long until we see this guy on the NHL ice.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Rantanen seems to have some skills to got with the agility, but it remains to be seen how well he'll be able to adjust when the defenders play the body instead of getting caught following a deke.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Rantanen seems to have some skills to got with the agility, but it remains to be seen how well he'll be able to adjust when the defenders play the body instead of getting caught following a deke.

Because in NHL nobody gets caught following the puck.. :speechles

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You meant that young players have to adjust to NHL but that goes for every prospect and player there is. Kinda moot point?

I agree that it is a moot point, but I wasn't trying to make an absolute statement, but rather an opinion. Opinions still count in here or not? Considering how well Granlund and Teräväinen were stumped on their tracks in their first year in the NHL (even though they doesn't share the stature with Rantanen), there is a possibility that Rantanen might follow the same trajectory, to a lesser degree, due to getting away with playing against as easier defense.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
No offence but Rantanen might be the first Finnish prospect for a while that I've actually seen substance to back up the hype. Barkov was too young to properly assess his offensive game when I saw him, Granlund had good vision, hands and instincts but I had a feeling his overall speed and speed of decision making would make his transition time longer. Rajala dominated some NT tournaments but I saw a player who avoided traffic, not fitted for the NHL. I saw a booming shot from Pulkinnen and knew if his skating improved he would be a dangerous player. Defenceman Vatanen, Risto, Maata I was sold on their NHL potential for a while but forwards tended to be easily overrated.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
No offence but Rantanen might be the first Finnish prospect for a while that I've actually seen substance to back up the hype. Barkov was too young to properly assess his offensive game when I saw him, Granlund had good vision, hands and instincts but I had a feeling his overall speed and speed of decision making would make his transition time longer. Rajala dominated some NT tournaments but I saw a player who avoided traffic, not fitted for the NHL. I saw a booming shot from Pulkinnen and knew if his skating improved he would be a dangerous player. Defenceman Vatanen, Risto, Maata I was sold on their NHL potential for a while but forwards tended to be easily overrated.
Can I borrow your crystal ball? ;)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Can I borrow your crystal ball? ;)

I'm saying Granlund took along time to adjust like I predicted but he is doing ok now and may live up to his potential in the future, the rest haven't shown as much although it is still early the fact remains they haven't produced a skillful offensive NHL forward who produces since Lehtera or Filppula which is pretty telling.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
I'm saying Granlund took along time to adjust like I predicted but he is doing ok now and may live up to his potential in the future, the rest haven't shown as much although it is still early the fact remains they haven't produced a skillful offensive NHL forward who produces since Lehtera or Filppula which is pretty telling.

Both of which started to live up to their potential in their late 20s. So yes, as you said it is early to judge.

Can I ask you why do you think Rantanen will be a player?

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Whoah, settle down wings5. I'm a big fan of Rantanen but he is nowhere near Barkov's maturity at the same age. At this age Barkov was already playing in the NHL, while Rantanen is still a couple of years away.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

At Granlund's age Lehtera was playing in Finland and Filppula in AHL. And I really hope you are not saying that Rantanen is anywhere near Barkov as a prospect.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I would absolutely love to see Rantanen on the Avs. He's big, he's decently fast, he's got good hands, and he's capable of playing a 2-way game on the wing. He's basically exactly what we need to round out our top-6, in my opinion. I could see him falling to us, too, if other teams fall in love with the center and dman prospects in this draft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Whoah, settle down wings5. I'm a big fan of Rantanen but he is nowhere near Barkov's maturity at the same age. At this age Barkov was already playing in the NHL, while Rantanen is still a couple of years away.

No I'm saying when Barkov played as a 16 year old I saw a big raw kid with fantastic hockey IQ but needed to work on his skating, at 17 he looked stronger on his skates and generated offense based on smarts. Rantanen and Pulujarvi are two prospects who I watched and thought, " wow thesec kids is going to be a good offensive players ". Rantanen has speed, size, smarts and puckhandling abilities that are great for his size and imo he may become a better offensive player than Barkov. Barkov however has greater potential as an overall player who will make a bigger impact at both ends of the ice.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

hmm.. Tell me how Barkov was playing in the NHL, while not being drafted yet? (Comparing situations here.) Rantanen got no chance playing in NHL coz he's not even drafted yet :help:

And i could see Rantanen playing in NHL next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad