RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
Just curious hypothetically folks but where should he play next year??? TPS is basically hot garbage which would suck for him so would he play in the AHL or CHL cause I don't think he's NHL ready yet.

CHL is completely out, it would be a step down even from TPS - and as ihmeilja points out, TPS will probably (as it almost always does) put together at the very least a decent team for the next FEL season. Going to the AHL would not be surprising, but I'd guess TPS is the most likely option.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Rantanen is on fire. Home game against Ässät, and after 12 mins he has assisted two goals already. Great effort especially in the first goal, after challenging both of the Ässät's defenders by driving between them with the puck, before passing it to Pikkarainen (former NJD-player), who has scored both goals so far. Rantanen was the first star of the thurday's game, and again, great effort by him.

E: 2 periods played, still 2-0. Rantanen playing very nice hockey shift after shift. Clearly the best player in this game, gave some chances to Pikkarainen to score a hat-trick, but not yet. Also nice forechecking, and at least in this game Ässät can't defend him in the corners with only one player. And when they try to defend Rantanen with two players, he's smart enough to play the puck to his teammate, which opens some space to their team. I'm really liking his game right now.

E2: Game ended 3-0, Rantanen pointless in the third period. Was close to score a wraparound goal after opponent's goalie had a giweaway behind the net, but eventually he lost the puck. Really nice game overall.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
First regulation win (= 3pts) for TPS since the 29th of November.

Should put it into perspective to our non Finnish thread viewers that how big of a mess that team has been.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
With rantanen being the current point leader on hes team with 19 point is kind of putting things to perspective.. with lash, koskiranta and smolenak gonne. He realy is the only great player on this team :)

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Rantanen had a good game. Though he did nothing really dangerous except the goal. Strong along the boards and in the corners and was very attemptive finally resulting the goal.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I wonder if some of his team mates might be a bit jealous about him. I mean the kid is 18 and leading the team in points, and forgive me for saying this, and also has brighter future (hockeywise) than any one else on the team.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
It's beatutiful to watch how he takes advantage of his big body. There hasn't been that kind of Finnish prospects in near future. Finnish Liiga -defenders can't take puck off him alone, at least most of them.

And yup, that GWG today was an absolute beauty.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I wonder if some of his team mates might be a bit jealous about him. I mean the kid is 18 and leading the team in points, and forgive me for saying this, and also has brighter future (hockeywise) than any one else on the team.

I doubt that. After the "tank job" by TPS, the empty roster spots were filled with youngsters and borderline Liiga players. They're all too busy trying to make a name for themselves while also competing for a spot in the next year's roster. Also look at Eronen's reaction to Rantanen's GWG. :laugh:

I think that Mikko is doing really well considering the recent changes in TPS. Suddenly becoming the top scorer and alternate captain has definitely forced him to take even more responsibility in the team. That goal is a good example of that - he's making things happen every time he's on the ice.

EDIT:

That first goal that TPS gave up.... Is their goalie that bad or was it just a random softie?

He's a good goalie who's had a really rough season. It's not easy when the team has been that bad.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
It's beatutiful to watch how he takes advantage of his big body. There hasn't been that kind of Finnish prospects in near future. Finnish Liiga -defenders can't take puck off him alone, at least most of them.

And yup, that GWG today was an absolute beauty.

You could say he's in a Liiga of his own :naughty:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I don't get what you mean. How is his situation any different from basically any other sport team in the history in sports? Sure he is the guy with the most potential in the team, but that's hardly an anomaly.

That OT goal was a freaking BEAUT!

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Two assists (0+2) in a win against Sport tonight.

Pre WJC: 30 games 1+9=10
Post WJC: 18 games 5+7=12

Really impressive considering the club sold all their veteran star players and were in a 13 game losing streak.

He is also +/- 0 in a team with -44 goal difference, which tells something about his two way game.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I have him at #5 right now, behind McEichel, Hanifin, and Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad