RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
The one thing I like about Rantanen is his effortless skating. For a guy that big it bodes well.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How does he compare to how Joel Armia looked in his draft year? The descriptions that people were using for Armia sound very similar to the ones being used for Rantanen: Big, great shot, nimble, smart, protects the puck, etc. They also are projected mid-first rounders.

Do they play a similar style? Does Rantanen project to be better than Armia?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
How does he compare to how Joel Armia looked in his draft year? The descriptions that people were using for Armia sound very similar to the ones being used for Rantanen: Big, great shot, nimble, smart, protects the puck, etc. They also are projected mid-first rounders.

They are very much different players outside of both being finns. Armia is the mold of skilled european like Semin or Vanek. Rantanen is more your prototypical NHLer int he mold of JVR or Voracek.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
11 losses for his team in last 12 games. Horrible team..

The whole organisation is in a such a state of complete chaos that even as a TPS fan I wouldn't mind Rantanen leaving town for his own development. As long as it's not to HIFK :laugh:

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010

I don't think they're very similar. Armia's more a goalscorer while Rantanen is a playmaker. While your description of "Big, great shot, nimble, smart, protects the puck, etc." is accurate for both, they're still very different kind of players. Armia's shot and dekes are better, while Rantanen is more willing to play in the front of the net.

I don't think either is yet using their size to their full potential, but I think Rantanen is ahead in that department.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
WJC highlights:

Top 10 no doubt. Just so many tools, size, upside and versatility.

Really good hands, good skating and offensive instincts, great tools for sure to go along with his size. Not much unlike a player like JVR of the Leafs.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think they're very similar. Armia's more a goalscorer while Rantanen is a playmaker. While your description of "Big, great shot, nimble, smart, protects the puck, etc." is accurate for both, they're still very different kind of players. Armia's shot and dekes are better, while Rantanen is more willing to play in the front of the net.

I don't think either is yet using their size to their full potential, but I think Rantanen if ahead in that department.

Ya from what I have seen in maybe 9 games, was that he likes to get physical more than Armia, while still having room to do so even more. Style wise, less dangles and more power protection? Not sure if that is a regular thing for him or if its a small sample size?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He's on fire. Looking like good 1st line C in FEL already. I hope he keeps this pace and maybe has outside shot to the NHL already for next season.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Big kid with some intriguing tools, looks good when he was time and space, but anyone else think his hands and game in general looks sketchy when he's under pressure? I can see the JvR comparisons in terms of his style of game, but he doesn't look as good to me, if I was drafting him I'd worry that he's more MPS than JvR.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Big kid with some intriguing tools, looks good when he was time and space, but anyone else think his hands and game in general looks sketchy when he's under pressure? I can see the JvR comparisons in terms of his style of game, but he doesn't look as good to me, if I was drafting him I'd worry that he's more MPS than JvR.

I've only seen him play in WJC but I don't think so.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He's ready listed at 6'3.5" and the announcers kept stating that he was up to 210 lbs. It's not crazy to think that in a few years he'll be Thornton sized (6'4" 220lbs). With his skating, hands, and playmaking he could be a pretty close comparison.

I could see Rantanen on a forward-starved team in a 3rd line role as early as next year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's ready listed at 6'3.5" and the announcers kept stating that he was up to 210 lbs. It's not crazy to think that in a few years he'll be Thornton sized (6'4" 220lbs). With his skating, hands, and playmaking he could be a pretty close comparison.

I could see Rantanen on a forward-starved team in a 3rd line role as early as next year.

Except he's not really a playmaker.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
He didn't strike me at all as a playmaker type in the WJC, was much more of a dangler/shooter.
So you are making your assumptions based on a 5-game sample size? ok then.

He is a playmaker who is only now starting to realize his potential as a goal scorer after the promising WJC games. Usually he only looks to make passing plays and not think about shooting.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Will probably be selected in the 7-10 range. Leafs sit at #10 currently, would love if the Leafs were able to take him.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
His team sucks. They have one overtime win in last 17 games and 6 points. 4 of the points are overtime/shootout loser points. They lost 8-1 today and he was one of the three players whose +- wasn't negative. He played almost 19 minutes.

He has been the best (or at least one of the best) in his team for a long time.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Fans were throwing their season tickets on the ice. Which ever team drafts Rantanen must also find a less toxic environment for him to develop in.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
There's a Leafs joke to be made here.

eliteprospects lists him as under contract through 2016-17, FWIW.

As long as Rantanen goes in the 1st round, that contract is pretty much meaningless. If I understand the current CBA correctly, all 1st rounders in the Euro leagues that have signed a NHL ELC can be assigned to the AHL immediately. This is due to some weird transfer agreement between the NHL and the IIHF. Rasmus Ristolainen and Hampus Lindholm are players who were brought to the NA this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad