RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
1 assist today. Over 20 minutes of icetime. He took some shifts as center with Simek and Lasch

Too bad his team is just flat out terrible at scoring goals. 78 shots total (42 on net) and only 2 goals.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
1 assist today. Over 20 minutes of icetime. He took some shifts as center with Simek and Lasch

Too bad his team is just flat out terrible at scoring goals. 78 shots total (42 on net) and only 2 goals.
Well they basically have no coaches, so there's that. Nice to hear they tried him at center position. I think he has the tools to play a centerman as well as winger, but we'll see. And you know them Canadians love their big centermen.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looks like Rantanen plays center for the whole game today. Interesting to see how he does.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Rantanen continues to play as center today too. Local media btw compared him to more goal-hungry Joe Thornton, which is not a bad one IMO.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Bizarre that he played wing at the WJC then if center is his natural position and centers were the biggest weakness.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Today, Rantanen scored a goal against the best Liiga-team, Kärpät. He was again the best TPS-player with some nice work ethic. He had a chance to get even more points, for example he sent Simek to a breakaway after a nice takeaway in the 2nd period, but Simek missed. Rantanen was centering Simek and Petteri Nummelin at the beginning, but at the end he played in the wing when they tried to even the score. He played "only" 16.36, but that was mostly because home team Kärpät played PP 1/5 of the game.

I believe that in future he'll play at least 17-18 mins per game, and 30 pts is not far away with this pace.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I believe that in future he'll play at least 17-18 mins per game, and 30 pts is not far away with this pace.
This year?! He would have to go point per game the rest of the season.

Next year he could score 30-40 points if we get to keep him.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Next year he could score 30-40 points if we get to keep him.

Didn't he just sign a new contract?

Looked pretty solid at center. Seemed to get better hold of the puck there than he did as winger. He was surpsisingly good defensively and on faceoff's considering he had to play vs Kemppainen's line for most of the night.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009

Yup, almost. 23 games left and 17 points to 30. It's of course tough and not that probable, but I was talking about the pace he has right now. He's got all the confidence with his game right now + he's been the best player for TPS in every game after WJC. I don't believe in 30 pts, but getting close is definitely possible.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Didn't he just sign a new contract?
Risto also had a contract for us, but didn't help and left for Rochester.

Yup, almost. 23 games left and 17 points to 30. It's of course tough and not that probable, but I was talking about the pace he has right now. He's got all the confidence with his game right now + he's been the best player for TPS in every game after WJC. I don't believe in 30 pts, but getting close is definitely possible.
He is on a hot streak right now, but I don't think it will last. Plus the whole team will probably implode at the deadline.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I thought he started out kind of slow but he was a lot more noticeable in the latter part of the game, scored the goal and created chances. Apparently he was good on the dot as well.

I must say this center thing came out of nowhere. If he can keep his level of play up at the center position/play both really well, it seems there's little stopping him going very high in the draft.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Risto also had a contract for us, but didn't help and left for Rochester.

He is on a hot streak right now, but I don't think it will last. Plus the whole team will probably implode at the deadline.

Hopefully we steal him just like Risto. Sabres can become little Finland. Here's hoping he doesn't go to early for one of our later picks.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Finland has always been underrated (in my mind easily among the top 3 nations in the world at senior level), but it seems like something have happen in finnish junior hockey, they are putting up more than normal top end talent right now, and they are just keep coming.

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland has always been underrated (in my mind easily among the top 3 nations in the world at senior level), but it seems like something have happen in finnish junior hockey, they are putting up more than normal top end talent right now, and they are just keep coming.
Better, yes. We need to do more though.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Finland has always been underrated (in my mind easily among the top 3 nations in the world at senior level), but it seems like something have happen in Finnish junior hockey, they are putting up more than normal top end talent right now, and they are just keep coming.

This is about the level where Finnish junior hockey production should be in "average times". There were some awful years and lost generations where countries like Denmark were looking like they had passed Finland by in junior production and had more quality youngsters in the NHL. Thankfully the hockey bosses have figured out that the lack junior production was disastrous and have taken some steps in the right direction. I totally think that Finnish hockey has the potential to produce at the same level as Sweden if things are done right.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Has been playing C position in last games. Centered first line couple days ago. Makes him more versatile. Valuable asset for NHL club.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
WJC highlights:

Top 10 no doubt. Just so many tools, size, upside and versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad