Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Well, if Bolduc is legitimately already penciled in as a top-6 scoring LW, why would you propose trading him for McGroarty who is also projected as a LW at the NHL level. My guess is that you think McGroarty is going to be better than Bolduc. Also, why not propose trading Bolduc to any of the other teams that are circling around McGroarty?

My point is that I think you are over-valuing Bolduc versus McGroarty, and a swap of a 2nd for 3rd round pick is a very low-value add-on.

If / when the Jets trade McGroarty I think it will be to strengthen the roster or pipeline at a position other than LW, which is area of strength for the Jets. They already have Chibrikov (same age and draft year as Bolduc, but with much better AHL production last season) and Barlow (19-year old high-scoring LW that the Jets are very high on) in the pipeline. At the NHL level on LW they have Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Niederreiter along with Barron (who looks like he might elevate with more opportunities.

Bolduc is rated as a high scoring left winger with thirty-five/forty-goal, seventy-five-point potential. Probably a better goal-scorer than McGroarty, but the latter is a better playmaker and more physical. If you don't want Bolduc, that's perfectly fine; I'm just here to ask what you do want, what an honest trade would look like. Our first this year (2025)? Defense? Center? Right wing? I understand it would be something our team would hate to lose, but I'm here to ask what it is and get your opinions on things because the fans of a team understand what their team wants/needs more than talking heads and other fans.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Blues fan coming in peace. We've discussed getting Rutger McGroarty on our trade board with a couple of picks, and one of our members made an interesting suggestion for value on both sides: Zachary Bolduc (2021 first round pick, goal-scoring left wing, already penciled in a roster spot on our top six) and a 2026 second round pick to you for Rutger McGroarty and a 2026 or 2027 third round pick. My trade idea was Bolduc and a 2025 third round pick (the highest one between the Senators and our team; we have two) for McGroarty alone, but honestly, I thought the former idea had more merit.

I'm hearing others not wanting to give up Bolduc try to do other trades, but I don't think that's realistic. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the value you want, what you need, your honest thoughts on what a trade would look like, etc. Again, I'm coming in peace (especially given that I respect your team more than most in the division); I just want your thoughts on this.

Thank you in advance, and good luck to your team, unless you're playing us.
My first comment is that the Jets only sign or trade people on Tuesdays..

And if you didn't see rutger mcgroarty at a gas station in small town Missouri then there's no chance he's being traded to the Blues

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
My first comment is that the Jets only sign or trade people on Tuesdays..

And if you didn't see rutger mcgroarty at a gas station in small town Missouri then there's no chance he's being traded to the Blues

Technically, Missouri borders Nebraska, and since there's no K.C. team in the NHL... ;)😜 But I definitely see your point. I get that it would be more of a longshot to trade a prospect of McGroarty's caliber to a divisional team. I was just curious as to the cost from the source.

Reactions: wasup and WolfHouse

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bolduc is rated as a high scoring left winger with thirty-five/forty-goal, seventy-five-point potential. Probably a better goal-scorer than McGroarty, but the latter is a better playmaker and more physical. If you don't want Bolduc, that's perfectly fine; I'm just here to ask what you do want, what an honest trade would look like. Our first this year (2025)? Defense? Center? Right wing? I understand it would be something our team would hate to lose, but I'm here to ask what it is and get your opinions on things because the fans of a team understand what their team wants/needs more than talking heads and other fans.
McG and a 2nd for Dvorsky.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Technically, Missouri borders Nebraska, and since there's no K.C. team in the NHL... ;)😜 But I definitely see your point. I get that it would be more of a longshot to trade a prospect of McGroarty's caliber to a divisional team. I was just curious as to the cost from the source.
I'd take your trade... this was a reference to our entire board stalking Barry Trotz a couple years ago... we saw him at a gas station and that was taken as a done deal haha

Reactions: Stumbledore

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
McG and a 2nd for Dvorsky.

Makes perfect sense to ask that. I don't think any Blues fan would go for that, especially considering our center depth as a whole, as well as the lack of prospects we have there. Likewise, I can understand that you'd only want that for Dvorsky, especially going to a divisional team.
I'd take your trade... this was a reference to our entire board stalking Barry Trotz a couple years ago... we saw him at a gas station and that was taken as a done deal haha

Ah, okay, haha. Thanks for the explanation. I barely even understand a lot of the intercourse on BluesTalk; I tend to watch the waters more, and I rarely go to other teams' boards out of respect for other fans.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Jets needs are simple, 2C or top 4 RHD.

That said, the Bolduc proposition is better than some I've heard.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Jets needs are simple, 2C or top 4 RHD.

That said, the Bolduc proposition is better than some I've heard.

Okay. Honestly, Dvorsky and Jiricek are the only ones in the Blues prospect pool that fit (possibly Stenberg, but I understand not wanting to settle for him when you're talking about your best prospect)...but we need them because we're short on that as well.

I understand not being able to make a trade based on that. Perhaps a Bolduc + 2025 first, but since it looks like you guys are competing immediately with your core, and thus need players that can step in immediately, the 2025 first wouldn't be nearly as valuable.

Thank you all so much for enlightening me about your team. It truly is much appreciated because the more knowledge one accumulates outside of their comfort zone, the more one can live life in a positive manner.

Again, best of luck to your team, unless you face ours. Better you than Chicago, Colorado or Nashville, right?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lets send him to buffalo, a team with prospects, a place where he will never make the playoffs
The funny thing is that he is probably going back to Michigan, while most of his college buddies collect NHL paycheques this year...at the end of the college season he can either sign with the Jets or Chevy can trade him to a non playoff team, if his team is in a playoff position....

I think the worst case scenario is he gets injured this season, and the Jets lose all leverage on a 1st round pick.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Should just do McGroarty and Iafallo for Laine (50%) retained and get it over with.

Throw in Stanley and get a pick back too.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Should just do McGroarty and Iafallo for Laine (50%) retained and get it over with.

I'd like to see Laine back but I think he's going to be a risk. I'd rather use our blue-chip McGroaty to get something that would be to more likely help us out. Of course another prospect in return is also a risk but hopefully someone that is close to NHL ready atleast.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

That's allot of risk on Laine being a good player again. Otherwise, your giving McGroarty and Iafallo away for a bust.. Might as well take the 2nd rounder compensation if McGroarty walks.

Bear in mind I'm not saying Laine is a bust. Just that there's risk involved

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
That's allot of risk on Laine being a good player again. Otherwise, your giving McGroarty and Iafallo away for a bust.. Might as well take the 2nd rounder compensation if McGroarty walks.

Bear in mind I'm not saying Laine is a bust. Just that there's risk involved
Iafallo has no value to me at his price. Would rather the cap space. Perhaps the risk on Laine is being over stated.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly at this stage I think McGroarty for Laine straight up gets it done. If they retain 50% salary, then I would do this all day long!

Without retention, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Max retention is a little tricky because Laine has 2 mil bonus each year. No retention on bonus. Max retention would be either 8.7 AAV - 2mil / 2 = 3.35, leaving 5.35 mil AAV or it is 9.1 (salary this year and next) - 2mil /2 = 3.55, leaving 5.15 mil AAV.

Some capologist feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :laugh:

I would look for them to retain down to a cap hit of ~6 mil. I don't give them McGro for Laine no matter how much they retain. I'll give them Dmitri Rashevsky. For McGro I want Sillinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad