Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well sure, if Chevy can get good value now we'd all be happy. But that ship might have sailed as teams decided to defer any trade discussions until next trade deadline because McGroarty plans to stay in college, regardless. So, Jets might be forced to wait and hope he has a great NCAA season.

In any case, I think the window to trade before he goes back to college will close soon, and so that might be the next logical unofficial trade "deadline" for McGroarty. If there are still teams very interested then they might be motivated to trade now as the clock ticks down.

Not sure that clock exists. He can leave his NCAA team at any time. Not sure if loyalty would prevent him leaving or not. He hasn't shown any signs of loyalty to the Jets.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah well said Whilleee.

If he really sticks this out and goes back to college, and there is no trade...it is what it is.

If he goes spends another year outside the NHL and frickin dominates, teams are going to want the guy. Possibly even mid season if he is really living up to the hype he started building last year.

And if he stagnates a bit and does well but not amazing, we'll at that point with his tools we are likely looking at more of a middle six guy. Blake Coleman is a comp I've read a few times.

As you said,at that point it's probably not the end of the world. Not to mention he would still need to stay in college another year to get to UFA.

Sitting out two full years to get put of the peg is pretty insane price to pay lol

Except that he is not sitting out. He is playing hockey. BMOC. And probably making AHL money.

I agree it seems pretty nutty to me. But then so does this whole thing. To me, if he would do thing X, he would also do thing Y.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think right now both player and org are gambling.

McGroarty is gambling a hell of a lot more though as his very career could be on the line. This could very well end up being a cautionary tale for prospects of his ilk playing games like this.

I trust that Chevy has a low bar to hit in a move and will be patient, even if that means waiting a year.

The good news for the Jets is that we still have a 1st round pick from that draft that is starting to look like he should have been picked around where mcg got picked or perhaps even higher. You never want to lose a prospect for nothing but Lambert does make a good hedge.
Worst case scenario for everyone is some kind of career-altering injury to Rutger this season. Chances of it happening are low, but never zero

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s interesting. I don’t think there is allot of Jets downside for Mr. Magoo to go back to college in September. However, he will need to eat what he kills, he can still be playing games late in the NHL season if he delivers this season. He has to play himself into a position where teams believe he is NHL ready. If he doesn’t, then his team overplayed their hand.

As much as I like resolution to issues I do enjoy watching Chevy work towards deals on his time line. It might be a bit deflating for Magoo to be back in College when all his buddies are in the NHL, who knows really how the pressure points on this deal fluctuate.

Honestly, I think his team overplayed their hand regardless of what it may be that they actually want. If the "family advisor" had simply told Chevy that he would not sign with the Jets, for whatever reason, Chevy could have arranged a good trade. McGro could have specified a building team that would have space for him in the NHL if he wanted to avoid the AHL. Beyond that he could have listed those teams in order of preference. Again for whatever reasons he likes, big city, climate, buddies on that team, proximity to family, etc.

Just keep the f*** quiet about it and don't form it as "demands". They could have had whatever it is they actually want without hurting his image or his reputation for character. This whole thing will follow him for quite a while.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Worst case scenario for everyone is some kind of career-altering injury to Rutger this season. Chances of it happening are low, but never zero

Yes, but that risk exists no matter where he is playing.

Actually, better it happens before he is signed, if it must happen. Then we don't need to pay his contract. And we might still a 2nd in compensation.

Jets still get 2nd round compensation pick if he goes unsigned so truthfully really hurts Rutger the most.

Beat me to it. :laugh:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Jets still get 2nd round compensation pick if he goes unsigned so truthfully really hurts Rutger the most.
Ironically, I think that if has a season-ending injury this year, it's likely that he's calling the Jets the next day to try to sign

• Wow
Reactions: snowkiddin

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I
Honestly, I think his team overplayed their hand regardless of what it may be that they actually want. It the "family advisor" had simply told Chevy that he would not sign with the Jets, for whatever reason, Chevy could have arranged a good trade. He could have specified a building team that would have space for him in the NHL if he wanted to avoid the AHL. Beyond that he could have listed those teams in order of preference. Again for whatever reasons he likes, big city, climate, buddies on that team, proximity to family, etc.

Just keep the f*** quiet about it and don't form it as "demands". They could have had whatever it is they actually want without hurting his image or his reputation for character. This whole thing will follow him for quite a while.
I agree 100% with you Mort.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn’t have to be career altering injury. If it is a serious injury that ends his season with a recovery time that takes him to the start of the following season enough uncertainty gets added that he becomes even harder to move and at that point is only 1 season away from UFA status.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
It doesn’t have to be career altering injury. If it is a serious injury that ends his season with a recovery time that takes him to the start of the following season enough uncertainty gets added that he becomes even harder to move and at that point is only 1 season away from UFA status.
At this point I'd take the round 2 draft pick over this dude anyway so let him rot a few more years. As much as Kane apparently wanted out of Winnipeg he kept his mouth shut publicly and played hard like any professional athlete should. Rutger is making demands publicly and hasn't played a minute in the NHL yet. He reminds me of Lindros in many ways...let another team deal with his b.s. Can you imagine the drama at each contract year?

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
At this point I'd take the round 2 draft pick over this dude anyway so let him rot a few more years. As much as Kane apparently wanted out of Winnipeg he kept his mouth shut publicly and played hard like any professional athlete should. Rutger is making demands publicly and hasn't played a minute in the NHL yet. He reminds me of Lindros in many ways...let another team deal with his b.s. Can you imagine the drama at each contract year?
Has his side made demands publicly? Can you post a link curious to see what they have said….

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have been reviewing next years draft and if we can’t get a solid prospect then I am hoping this asset can fetch us a 12OA to 15OA level pick. There is an interesting cluster of centres who were around PPG level in the CHL this past season that Pronman has ranked in that range.

Maybe end up with two first round picks and bolster our prospect pool.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A second round pick in 2027 maybe gives us a player in 2031 - 2033 or so. I’d much prefer an almost ready prospect now or some sort of deal that includes a now young player. I care more about the Jets success that punishing young Rutger though I don’t mind him feeling a little pain for some of his decisions.

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Has his side made demands publicly? Can you post a link curious to see what they have said….
You got me there no I don't have a link, just going by all the reports. So I guess he's signing with the Jets....yippee!

We'll have to see what happens but IMO he will be playing for a U.S. based team who is willing to give him a roster spot.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Still nothing happening eh , I'll check back after Chevy gets back from the lake.:naughty:
It's a process

Smiling Chevy.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Blues fan coming in peace. We've discussed getting Rutger McGroarty on our trade board with a couple of picks, and one of our members made an interesting suggestion for value on both sides: Zachary Bolduc (2021 first round pick, goal-scoring left wing, already penciled in a roster spot on our top six) and a 2026 second round pick to you for Rutger McGroarty and a 2026 or 2027 third round pick. My trade idea was Bolduc and a 2025 third round pick (the highest one between the Senators and our team; we have two) for McGroarty alone, but honestly, I thought the former idea had more merit.

I'm hearing others not wanting to give up Bolduc try to do other trades, but I don't think that's realistic. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the value you want, what you need, your honest thoughts on what a trade would look like, etc. Again, I'm coming in peace (especially given that I respect your team more than most in the division); I just want your thoughts on this.

Thank you in advance, and good luck to your team, unless you're playing us.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Blues fan coming in peace. We've discussed getting Rutger McGroarty on our trade board with a couple of picks, and one of our members made an interesting suggestion for value on both sides: Zachary Bolduc (2021 first round pick, goal-scoring left wing, already penciled in a roster spot on our top six) and a 2026 second round pick to you for Rutger McGroarty and a 2026 or 2027 third round pick. My trade idea was Bolduc and a 2025 third round pick (the highest one between the Senators and our team; we have two) for McGroarty alone, but honestly, I thought the former idea had more merit.

I'm hearing others not wanting to give up Bolduc try to do other trades, but I don't think that's realistic. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the value you want, what you need, your honest thoughts on what a trade would look like, etc. Again, I'm coming in peace (especially given that I respect your team more than most in the division); I just want your thoughts on this.

It’s really tough to say because Chevy is closed lipped so none of us really know what he wants. The only piece of intel I kind of trust is it sounds like the Jets might have had a deal in place for the Wild’s first round pick but then Zeev Buium fell and the Wild were able to land him so the deal was off.Here’s the thing though even if that was true none of us know if that was 1 for 1.

That is about as close as I have heard to pegging a possible value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Well, if Bolduc is legitimately already penciled in as a top-6 scoring LW, why would you propose trading him for McGroarty who is also projected as a LW at the NHL level. My guess is that you think McGroarty is going to be better than Bolduc. Also, why not propose trading Bolduc to any of the other teams that are circling around McGroarty?

My point is that I think you are over-valuing Bolduc versus McGroarty, and a swap of a 2nd for 3rd round pick is a very low-value add-on.

If / when the Jets trade McGroarty I think it will be to strengthen the roster or pipeline at a position other than LW, which is area of strength for the Jets. They already have Chibrikov (same age and draft year as Bolduc, but with much better AHL production last season) and Barlow (19-year old high-scoring LW that the Jets are very high on) in the pipeline. At the NHL level on LW they have Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Niederreiter along with Barron (who looks like he might elevate with more opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad