Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've written this asset off at this point. I'm expecting nothing from him - kind of like a flop pick. Luckily it's looking like our gift 1st rounder (thanks Rags) is turning out to be a bona fide 1st round quality player, so whatever we end up getting for him is a bonus.

Agreed, I've moved on from him. We'll get something less good for him but I've made peace with it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've written this asset off at this point. I'm expecting nothing from him - kind of like a flop pick. Luckily it's looking like our gift 1st rounder (thanks Rags) is turning out to be a bona fide 1st round quality player, so whatever we end up getting for him is a bonus.
At minimum, the Jets will end up with a 2nd round pick (#47 overall). They've had some success in the 2nd round (Samberg, Salomonsson, Chibrikov, Freij?).

As you note, nabbing Lambert in that draft provides a bit of prospect pool buffer from that draft, and Salomonsson could be another big draft acquisition from that draft.

I still expect that the Jets will either trade McGroarty for another 1st or equivalent prospect or sign him. If Chevy didn't have some confidence that he could either sign him or trade him for more than a mid-2nd I expect he would have been traded for lesser value by now.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
prospect.

i can name DOZENS who have flopped.
maybe even More NCAA players.

Bobby Butler was a highly touted prospect and Hobey baker finalist… where is he again?
Bobby Boucher is another one that comes to mind

Doug Glatt, Reg Dunlop, Charlie Conway...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes With team not named the Jets
That would be a year later than he could sign with the Jets.

It seems like his motivation is to have a clear opportunity at a major role early. Maybe that's just smoke and he really wants the prestige of playing at Madison Square Garden or maybe he really wants the tax and climate advantages that come with playing in Miami. Maybe. I don't think so.

The Jets can get him in the show sooner than if he takes the UFA route.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
Unfortunately McGrorty tanked his own trade value until at least after his college season with his request. It's not just Chevy doesn't want to move him it's probably more his value isn't that of a 1st round pick any more. At this point he's gotta play a year at Michigan and have a good year to prove he's worth some teams 1st or their top prospect.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
prospect.

i can name DOZENS who have flopped.
maybe even More NCAA players.

Bobby Butler was a highly touted prospect and Hobey baker finalist… where is he again?

The Hobey Baker is no measure of a prospect.

Highly touted? He was never even drafted. He was 23 YO when he had his one outstanding season in NCAA.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That would be a year later than he could sign with the Jets.

It seems like his motivation is to have a clear opportunity at a major role early. Maybe that's just smoke and he really wants the prestige of playing at Madison Square Garden or maybe he really wants the tax and climate advantages that come with playing in Miami. Maybe. I don't think so.

The Jets can get him in the show sooner than if he takes the UFA route.

But the reality was that his quickest route would have been to sign with the Jets and compete for a job. Or, alternatively, quietly ask to be traded to a building team that has openings for him.

The path he has chosen has probably delayed his entrance to the NHL.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
IMG_6614.gif
This is the type of signing Chevy has in store for his camp

Reactions: WolfHouse

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
OK, I stopped at another gas station today. One of the workers there looked very uninterested. Let's call him Bob. I approached him and asked: So what's the matter with that fella McGroarty?

Bob: Who? I have to say my memory is pretty bad.

I gave him 10 bucks.

Bob: Still a bit confused.

I gave him another 10.

Bob: Now I remember. He plays like a guy named Rutger, but he thinks he should be paid like a guy named Wayne. That's all.

Moral of the story? McGroarty now owes me 20 bucks.
That was an easy $20.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Agree (naturally). I think that sometimes not being a desirable market can preserve teams from making mistakes on UFAs. There just aren't that many that have been real franchise-changers over the years. I think the Jets have to choose their "legacy" contracts wisely, not overpaying and putting themselves in severe cap crunches, and so far Chevy has been okay with that. the main purpose of those is to maintain some stability in the franchise both on the ice and in terms of the overall zeitgeist of the franchise in the market. Scheifele and Hellebuyck are the current examples; Wheeler previously.

With regard to McGroarty, I think the Jets are looking at optimum windows for making trades. One window was around the draft when the Jets were likely looking for futures to replace Barlow in the prospect pool. At that point they would have had limited options for taking on a roster player with a big cap hit without a complicated trade. Looking ahead, the trade deadline might be the next most logical trade window. At that point, the Jets could actually consider using accumulated cap space to acquire a player with some term (or maybe even a player that will extend). They have a good cap situation starting in 2025/26, so using McGroarty to acquire a player that would help them for this year's playoff run and with term for the couple of seasons makes some sense, too. Another option might be to include Barlow in a much bigger deal if the Jets need to make bigger changes to the roster, based on performance this season.
Wheeler was a legacy contract and an overpay. He never once earned his cap hit, especially given his one-dimensional play. It only became worse and more apparent as the years wore on. The fact they bought him out in his final year is basically an admittance of the team being in a cap crunch and wheeler's declining play no longer worthy of 8.5 million per year.
Scheifele and Hellybucyk's contracts have been criticized for being too long given their ages. It's unlikely both will earn their AAV's as they age even with a rising cap. They might end up being buy-out candidates. We will see if it is a wise decision in the coming years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wheeler was a legacy contract and an overpay. He never once earned his cap hit, especially given his one-dimensional play. It only became worse and more apparent as the years wore on. The fact they bought him out in his final year is basically an admittance of the team being in a cap crunch and wheeler's declining play no longer worthy of 8.5 million per year.
Scheifele and Hellybucyk's contracts have been criticized for being too long given their ages. It's unlikely both will earn their AAV's as they age even with a rising cap. They might end up being buy-out candidates. We will see if it is a wise decision in the coming years.

It’s true of most legacy deals but it’s the price teams pay. They have value early in the deal and when (not if) they stop making sense you buy them out. Jets had no choice really under Chipman at least. They wanted to remain competitive to fill seats so they locked up their vezina goalie to do it. They also have zero centre depth which stopped them from moving on from Schief.

Legacy deals have a shelf life then they suck. It’s not like every GM doesn’t get the equation. Up until this twosome got signed the Jets have actually been more restrained than most franchises on bloated legacy deals.

Edit: just realized this is McGroarty thread so to wrap it up and keep on topic I will predict we do not run into this problem with Rutger. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
College kids are watching. At some point, there’s will be a college kid who does this and gets hurt and misses out on a 3yr contract. Or has it already happened to another that I jsut missed….

Look at that young 1st rounder (Evgeny S) we tried who had that horrible knee injury they were trying to come back from…just lost his first step and was done.

Reactions: Luc Labelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad