Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not a deadline deal simply for the fact the acquiring team can't sign him while he's still playing NCAA season.

Especially if he has a not so steller year that could reasonably happen without some of the players they had who aren't returning

Gauthier was traded mid season while being in college so nothing is stopping a McGroarty trade from following a similar pattern. If he's traded within season it would be to a team he's already informed he'd sign with upon the end of his college season, much like Cutter.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Gauthier was traded mid season while being in college so nothing is stopping a McGroarty trade from following a similar pattern. If he's traded within season it would be to a team he's already informed he'd sign with upon the end of his college season, much like Cutter.
He would be a solid trade chip for a 2C rental

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a deadline deal simply for the fact the acquiring team can't sign him while he's still playing NCAA season.

He is able to sign a pro contract at any time.
Not saying a deadline deal would be likely.

But the acquiring team would not have to be the buyer. We could be the buyer and the selling team could be content to wait for him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the issue really doesn't have anything to do with the city, I still have some small hope that their camp decides to sign after the NCAA season is done to get that 1st year burned. Maybe he becomes a black ace for the playoffs.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I'd expect so.

Kid is still a good hockey player that we were all hyped on before shenanigans ensued. But he now has questions to answer on his leadership/integrity.

I would be keeping a wary eye for Trouba-ian tendencies however. Fool me once, etc.

Trouba spent 7 years here and was pretty open about moving when he was going to be an UFA. I don't mind that. He earned it

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
What if McGroarty signs here? Is all forgiven?

Really depends. If he signs for the minimum number of years because he feels like he has no choice, and he still wants out of Winnipeg ASAP, then no, no forgiveness. Otherwise, I guess he has to show everyone he wants to play here, but ultimately, putting up good numbers will help sway public opinion even if its for a short time..

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm pretty indifferent about him coming back. It's one thing to come back and be a pro like Trouba and give the team a number of good years while being professional in the room. It would be another to come back and mope about and cause distractions. It would really be up McGroarty to act like a pro whether he wants to be here or not. If it's the former then he has a place here, if it's the latter then ship his ass out.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's quite possible that the antagonism vs. McGroarty is a bit of an over-reaction. All we really know is that he preferred staying in college over whatever development pathway was being proposed by the Jets and possibly other teams (likely including a strong possibility of an AHL season). That's not really all that egregious.

We also know that the Jets have explored trading him but we don't know all of their rationale.

The Jets are cognizant of the issues, and I expect that if they do decide to sign him they will have assessed whether he is strongly averse to playing in Winnipeg.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
You think you're better than me just coz I'm insane?
I've got a t-shirt for that...

20220125_045946.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What if McGroarty signs here? Is all forgiven?

Speaking personally I don’t need to like the person.

I present exhibit A: EK9 was a pretty f***ed up person (IMO) that I didn’t care for but I always cheered for him when he pulled on the Jets uniform. I never felt Kane cheated me on the ice with his effort. That was his job and the rest is just noise (my take).

In saying that McGroarty could easily turn this around, he hasn’t been in an interview where he has said he doesn’t want to be here. At this point there are mostly rumors and noise. This is the summer and most fans aren’t paying attention yet. McGroarty was possibly the most charismatic personality this organization has drafted in a small sample size. If he were to sign (after his college season), have a good press conference, bring his personality, but most importantly become a highly competitive power forward this market could still fall in love with him. Players can have ugly contract negotiations and be just fine. He just needs to let the agent do the dirty work on the business side.

Do I see that happening. No, but never say never.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Trouba spent 7 years here and was pretty open about moving when he was going to be an UFA. I don't mind that. He earned it
Yes, and as Whilee has postulated that may not be a bad model for the Jets: get 7 years out of them and then move on, avoiding what may be an albatross of a contract as the player declines.

Ultimately that's the whole point of UFA for players - once you get there, you get to choose. Just sucks we're not a desirable market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium