Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's quite possible that the antagonism vs. McGroarty is a bit of an over-reaction. All we really know is that he preferred staying in college over whatever development pathway was being proposed by the Jets and possibly other teams (likely including a strong possibility of an AHL season). That's not really all that egregious.

We also know that the Jets have explored trading him but we don't know all of their rationale.

The Jets are cognizant of the issues, and I expect that if they do decide to sign him they will have assessed whether he is strongly averse to playing in Winnipeg.

I can't see any scenario where Jets would not sign him if he is willing. They might move him out pretty quickly afterwards but a contract is the best way of getting something out of him.

Reactions: MelikeJets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes, and as Whilee has postulated that may not be a bad model for the Jets: get 7 years out of them and then move on, avoiding what may be an albatross of a contract as the player declines.

Ultimately that's the whole point of UFA for players - once you get there, you get to choose. Just sucks we're not a desirable market.
Agree (naturally). I think that sometimes not being a desirable market can preserve teams from making mistakes on UFAs. There just aren't that many that have been real franchise-changers over the years. I think the Jets have to choose their "legacy" contracts wisely, not overpaying and putting themselves in severe cap crunches, and so far Chevy has been okay with that. the main purpose of those is to maintain some stability in the franchise both on the ice and in terms of the overall zeitgeist of the franchise in the market. Scheifele and Hellebuyck are the current examples; Wheeler previously.

With regard to McGroarty, I think the Jets are looking at optimum windows for making trades. One window was around the draft when the Jets were likely looking for futures to replace Barlow in the prospect pool. At that point they would have had limited options for taking on a roster player with a big cap hit without a complicated trade. Looking ahead, the trade deadline might be the next most logical trade window. At that point, the Jets could actually consider using accumulated cap space to acquire a player with some term (or maybe even a player that will extend). They have a good cap situation starting in 2025/26, so using McGroarty to acquire a player that would help them for this year's playoff run and with term for the couple of seasons makes some sense, too. Another option might be to include Barlow in a much bigger deal if the Jets need to make bigger changes to the roster, based on performance this season.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Speaking personally I don’t need to like the person.

I present exhibit A: EK9 was a pretty f***ed up person (IMO) that I didn’t care for but I always cheered for him when he pulled on the Jets uniform. I never felt Kane cheated me on the ice with his effort. That was his job and the rest is just noise (my take).

In saying that McGroarty could easily turn this around, he hasn’t been in an interview where he has said he doesn’t want to be here. At this point there are mostly rumors and noise. This is the summer and most fans aren’t paying attention yet. McGroarty was possibly the most charismatic personality this organization has drafted in a small sample size. If he were to sign (after his college season), have a good press conference, bring his personality, but most importantly become a highly competitive power forward this market could still fall in love with him. Players can have ugly contract negotiations and be just fine. He just needs to let the agent do the dirty work on the business side.

Do I see that happening. No, but never say never.
Interesting--I usually agree with you but in this case I differ on the bolded part. I don't have to love the player, but I have to respect him as a person and ambassador for the city/team. If the team is full of a-holes, what's the point of cheering for it? E Kane is a perfect example of someone who was not a good person or ambassador for Winnipeg off the ice. I have personal knowledge of this, but it is also very well documented.

The Jets leadership group is, by and large, made up of very decent young men, which makes them easier to cheer for, in good times and bad.

McGroarty is not at all(so far) in E Kane's category. He seems more a personification of the entitlement of young stars of his generation, and a victim of very poor PR by his handlers. So, he earns indifference on my part so far--just an asset to be managed to optimize the team. Would I forgive him if he actually explained the situation and then behaved like a mensch? Absolutely--young people (and their handlers) are prone to mistakes and deserve second chances. But the puck is on his stick now--let's see how he handles it.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Speaking personally I don’t need to like the person.

I present exhibit A: EK9 was a pretty f***ed up person (IMO) that I didn’t care for but I always cheered for him when he pulled on the Jets uniform. I never felt Kane cheated me on the ice with his effort. That was his job and the rest is just noise (my take).

In saying that McGroarty could easily turn this around, he hasn’t been in an interview where he has said he doesn’t want to be here. At this point there are mostly rumors and noise. This is the summer and most fans aren’t paying attention yet. McGroarty was possibly the most charismatic personality this organization has drafted in a small sample size. If he were to sign (after his college season), have a good press conference, bring his personality, but most importantly become a highly competitive power forward this market could still fall in love with him. Players can have ugly contract negotiations and be just fine. He just needs to let the agent do the dirty work on the business side.

Do I see that happening. No, but never say never.
Even though guys like Kane and Trouba didn't let their desires to be elsewhere affect their on-ice play, I still think that anyone who wants out will be a distraction in the locker room (PLD may have let it affect his play also)

I remember Matty P making some kind of remark about Trouba at one point, and Bones said something along the lines of "now our locker room is full of guys who want to be here" after the PLD trade.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Even though guys like Kane and Trouba didn't let their desires to be elsewhere affect their on-ice play, I still think that anyone who wants out will be a distraction in the locker room (PLD may have let it affect his play also)

I remember Matty P making some kind of remark about Trouba at one point, and Bones said something along the lines of "now our locker room is full of guys who want to be here" after the PLD trade.
I miss Matty P, he was a spark plug who can score.

He was a better off the ice, I run into a few Jets out and about in the city. I would never bother a player off ice, but would say “hey! nice game last night!” and go on my way. Matty engaged for a few minutes each time I saw him,unlike some players ***cough*** a young #26 (he wouldn’t even look up from his phone) and our first captain.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting--I usually agree with you but in this case I differ on the bolded part. I don't have to love the player, but I have to respect him as a person and ambassador for the city/team. If the team is full of a-holes, what's the point of cheering for it? E Kane is a perfect example of someone who was not a good person or ambassador for Winnipeg off the ice. I have personal knowledge of this, but it is also very well documented.

The Jets leadership group is, by and large, made up of very decent young men, which makes them easier to cheer for, in good times and bad.

McGroarty is not at all(so far) in E Kane's category. He seems more a personification of the entitlement of young stars of his generation, and a victim of very poor PR by his handlers. So, he earns indifference on my part so far--just an asset to be managed to optimize the team. Would I forgive him if he actually explained the situation and then behaved like a mensch? Absolutely--young people (and their handlers) are prone to mistakes and deserve second chances. But the puck is on his stick now--let's see how he handles it.

Great post! Some level of disagreement and debate from time to time is good. It makes it more fun.

I didn’t like Kane at all, I also had some dealings. I did appreciate how hard he competed though.

Looks like I am getting the gold medal for moral flexibility :laugh:.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It’s an interesting topic.

When @Whileee made his thread last year I talked about the concept of leaning in to trading young home grown assets that don’t want to be here, or need a change of scenery.

Kane, Trouba, Laine, PLD are the big four. In all four of those cases it turns out we got their best years at a discount and got rid of the asset before they signed poor value deals.

For all the hand wringing, worry at the time, and insecurity it turns out we sold at gun point at the right time.

Kane kept competing but drama has followed him at every stop of the way, they are trying to dump Trouba in New York and he never got close to living up to that contract, Laine has struggled to stay healthy and if he gets traded the Jackets will most likely be retaining and who really knows what his future holds? PLD totally flamed out in LA after one season.

in summary when high pedigree young players want out of Winnipeg, leverage our rights, squeeze what we can out of them, trade them for as good a return as we can get, but be THANKFUL as hell someone else pays them their big money deal.

Keeping on topic “if” Chevy could squeeze out some ELC and Bridge value from Rutger that would be my first option. If he still wants out after that just follow the blueprint.

Last edited:

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Really depends. If he signs for the minimum number of years because he feels like he has no choice, and he still wants out of Winnipeg ASAP, then no, no forgiveness. Otherwise, I guess he has to show everyone he wants to play here, but ultimately, putting up good numbers will help sway public opinion even if its for a short time..
I'd forgive him if all he was doing was proving his trade value. I think we get more for him as a sophomore NHLer than as a prospect.

Reactions: roccerfeller

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg

When @Whileee made his thread last year I talked about the concept of leaning in to trading young home grown assets that don’t want to be here, or need a change of scenery.

Kane, Trouba, Laine, PLD are the big four. In all four of those cases it turns out we got their best years at a discount and got rid of the asset before they signed poor value deals.

For all the hand wringing, worry at the time, and insecurity it turns out we sold at gun point at the right time.

Kane kept competing but drama has followed him at every stop of the way, they are trying to dump Trouba in New York and he never got close to living up to that contract, Laine has struggled to stay healthy and if he gets traded the Jackets will most likely be retaining and who really knows what his future holds? PLD totally flamed out in LA after one season.

in summary when high pedigree young players want out of Winnipeg, leverage our rights, squeeze what we can out of them, trade them for as good a return as we can get, but be THANKFUL as hell someone else pays them their big money deal.

Keeping on topic “if” Chevy could squeeze out some ELC and Bridge value from Rutger that would be my first option. If he still wants out after that just follow the blueprint.
Great post 👏

Reactions: Jet and ps241

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Interestingly Laine kept playing...I believe he got the GWG in game 1 before he was traded...Roslovic held out. Now we have Danil Zhilkin to show for him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Great post! Some level of disagreement and debate from time to time is good. It makes it more fun.

I didn’t like Kane at all, I also had some dealings. I did appreciate how hard he competed though.

Looks like I am getting the gold medal for moral flexibility :laugh:.
I always had a soft spot for Kane after he beat the shit out of Matt Cooke. And his dad is a real one, from East Preston, in Nova Scotia..

Reactions: ps241 and Buffdog

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Now that we are reaching mid-August, I guess we can more confidently assume that McGroarty will return to UMichigan this season and that he will either sign with the Jets or be traded sometime in early 2025. I'm just hoping that he has a banner season in the NCAA, regardless.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Now that we are reaching mid-August, I guess we can more confidently assume that McGroarty will return to UMichigan this season and that he will either sign with the Jets or be traded sometime in early 2025. I'm just hoping that he has a banner season in the NCAA, regardless.
That's the best case scenario. After that it is having a solid season on a depleted Michigan team. Worst case scenario is a season ending injury where he is still weeks/months away from passing a physical in the run up to the 2025 draft and free agency period. I would have much preferred the McGroarty issue be solved this summer over the uncertainty of the what ifs of the future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's the best case scenario. After that it is having a solid season on a depleted Michigan team. Worst case scenario is a season ending injury where he is still weeks/months away from passing a physical in the run up to the 2025 draft and free agency period. I would have much preferred the McGroarty issue be solved this summer over the uncertainty of the what ifs of the future.
I agree that it would have been better if the Jets could have traded him for full market value this summer, but I think McGroarty's preference of returning to Michigan rather than a likely extended stint in the AHL next season (with any NHL team) made it much more rational for potential trade partners to wait until next spring to revisit trade talks.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that it would have been better if the Jets could have traded him for full market value this summer, but I think McGroarty's preference of returning to Michigan rather than a likely extended stint in the AHL next season (with any NHL team) made it much more rational for potential trade partners to wait until next spring to revisit trade talks.
I don't disagree. Chevy does what he does best. He holds on and doesn't panic, and waits for a pressure point where he can maximize his position. We all just need to hope it works out for the best. I also don't exclude the possibility that McGroarty signs with the Jets next spring, if things fall into place and no bridges have been burnt.

Reactions: Buffdog

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The latest from my source, the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street bicycle path, is that Rutger wants to be enshrined in the HFJets Hall of Fame before he will even consider signing with the Jets. I asked her if she was sure, and she said that she was right about Nikolaj Ehlers being Dutch, so I guess that's good enough for me...:nod:

McGroarty-HFJetsLegends.jpg

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
The latest from my source, the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street bicycle path, is that Rutger wants to be enshrined in the HFJets Hall of Fame before he will even consider signing with the Jets. I asked her if she was sure, and she said that she was right about Nikolaj Ehlers being Dutch, so I guess that's good enough for me...:nod:

View attachment 900918

Ehlers is Dutch??

:sarcasm:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not worried about this at all because even if Chevy can't trade him we will get draft pick anyway. Don't want to be a Winnipeg Jet unless a spot is handed to you? Shoo , Shoo buggar off . We don't need guys that think they don't have to earn a spot on this team.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The depleted Michigan team is the part that scares me. What are the odds of McGroarty having a down year (stats wise) and his value falling? Probably better than 50-50.
I know they say that the talent around a player is always fully taken into consideration, but is it really?

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
OK, I stopped at another gas station today. One of the workers there looked very uninterested. Let's call him Bob. I approached him and asked: So what's the matter with that fella McGroarty?

Bob: Who? I have to say my memory is pretty bad.

I gave him 10 bucks.

Bob: Still a bit confused.

I gave him another 10.

Bob: Now I remember. He plays like a guy named Rutger, but he thinks he should be paid like a guy named Wayne. That's all.

Moral of the story? McGroarty now owes me 20 bucks.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The depleted Michigan team is the part that scares me. What are the odds of McGroarty having a down year (stats wise) and his value falling? Probably better than 50-50.
I know they say that the talent around a player is always fully taken into consideration, but is it really?
I think that if McGroarty was going to be traded then it would have happened by now. Chevy will hold on and encourage the kid to sign next summer. It will probably work out fine that way.

We don't need to worry about McGroarty's hype. If he scores fewer points it's not a sign that he's regressing. Maybe his perceived market value will dip but it won't matter because other teams aren't going to pay market value to get him anyways.

Either he'll be a Jet or he'll spend two more seasons in college. He doesn't even want to spend one more season in college. He's hyper sensitive to his career getting off to a good start, so I don't think he'll opt for two more years of college.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If Michigan is worse this year, that would mean that when they are eliminated from the playoffs there would likely be more games left in the Jets regular season than there was this past season (only 2 I think?).

This might give the Jets (and McGroarty) a better chance to get a few games in at the end of the season possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium