Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like McGroarty a lot but I think the jury is still out in terms of his NHL level. If he was as good as Gauthier I think the Jets would have found roster room for him and signed him.

Probably, yes.
But I rate him above Drysdale in that list. Could be wrong of course, but Drysdale does not appear to me to be developing to a very high level.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'll take the conspiracy theory one step further. Chevy has the framework of a deal with CBJ worked out. Laine is involved. Nothing can be completed until Patrick is out of the Player Assistance program because Chevy needs to talk to Patrick b4 committing.

It will be the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros to Philly.
Chevy does have a penchant for big trades...
Thoughts on Laine, Belluz, Ceulemans, pick for McGro, Stan, Iafallo?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I see these possibilities as to why he wants out:

1. The aforementioned development path issue/collapse of relationship w/ Jets and nothing else

2. Self entitlement pure and simple. Apparently no matter the NHL team. The Sean Renolds theory

3. Doesn't want to play here and all is a facade to maneuver himself away from here.

4. Something else?

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's not as big as I was thinking, but it is interesting.

CBJ would need to retain at least 30% on Laine and I think we would need to add. Stan's trade value is almost nil and Iafallo's is not high either.

Would McGroarty alone fetch Belluz + Ceuleman's? I'm not sure but that's probably close. Might favour Jets a bit, given what McG has done to his trade value. Laine + pick for Stan + AI? I think they value Laine higher than that, even without retention.

Switch the pick from CBJ to Jets or replace it with another asset from Jets to CBJ.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

CBJ would need to retain at least 30% on Laine and I think we would need to add. Stan's trade value is almost nil and Iafallo's is not high either.

Would McGroarty alone fetch Belluz + Ceuleman's? I'm not sure but that's probably close. Might favour Jets a bit, given what McG has done to his trade value. Laine + pick for Stan + AI? I think they value Laine higher than that, even without retention.

Switch the pick from CBJ to Jets or replace it with another asset from Jets to CBJ.

I don’t think Stanley and Iafallo’s value is as low as you think it is.

Iafallo had a down year offensively last year but the year before he paced for 50 points and is great defensively. Big defencemen like Stanley always have value.

I like Wolfhouse’ trade proposal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only reason to trade for Laine is that you think Ehlers will stay if you do... that would be pretty harsh to trade Ehlers for his best pal - doesn't seem like the Jets style.

OK, leave Ehlers here. Need to restructure it accordingly.

How about leave Laine there and send them Ehlers? CBJ can't talk to Laine either while he is in the program. They want to talk to him about how he would feel to get together with his best bud.

We could leave out some of the drama and just pose trade packages going back and forth, but it is a little more fun this way. I think the bottom line is that Jets and CBJ look like trade partners who could help each other here. Each has pieces the other needs.

I would be very surprised if Ehlers was included in a trade for Laine.

OK, either not Ehlers, or not Laine.

I'm just having fun with trade conspiracies here. Fact is that there is a potential fit there and there are a lot of ways it could be configured. A pretty big trade is possible too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think Stanley and Iafallo’s value is as low as you think it is.

Iafallo had a down year offensively last year but the year before he paced for 50 points and is great defensively. Big defencemen like Stanley always have value.

I like Wolfhouse’ trade proposal.

Stan has a little value because he is 6'7. Iafallo has more, just not a lot. The strong scoring the year before followed a weaker year and then there was last year. He is at an age when a lot of players decline. He still retains value because of his good defensive play. He is not worthless. But he is overpaid at 4 mil. So the value is not a lot.

I like Wolfhouse's proposal too. I'd do it today if it was there. I don't see the value for CBJ though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Then only issue with this is a lack of cap space. We can't fit Laine in as is even with 50% retention. They would have to take Iafallo.

I'm giving this a little more consideration. I might be undervaluing Iaffalo in this context. I think he may be the kind of player CBJ needs to help turn their collection of good young players into a team.

If we just look at Belluz + Ceulemans for McGro + Iaffalo I think we have an interesting framework. McGro's market value has been hurt by his demands. Belluz and Ceulemans are both interesting prospects but not expensive blue chippers. They match with Jets positions of need and really could be spared by CBJ.

So now we look at Laine. I think Jets would have to see him as a pretty high risk project and CBJ would need to want to get rid of at least most of his cap pretty badly. If Jets are willing to risk taking on 6 mil of his cap what would CBJ need as a return? Would Stan be enough? I think Jets could manage 6 mil with Iafallo gone.

Is there any need on the Jets part to add Laine to the Belluz + Ceulemans for McGro + Iaffalo deal? Or does Cbus require Laine added in order to do the deal?

Circling back to that 4 man package, does either side need to add? Which one? Who says no, and why?

Reactions: squashmaple

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
OK, leave Ehlers here. Need to restructure it accordingly.

How about leave Laine there and send them Ehlers? CBJ can't talk to Laine either while he is in the program. They want to talk to him about how he would feel to get together with his best bud.

We could leave out some of the drama and just pose trade packages going back and forth, but it is a little more fun this way. I think the bottom line is that Jets and CBJ look like trade partners who could help each other here. Each has pieces the other needs.
If I am Waddell, I'm not sure I see a need on my team for Ehlers - their three Russians are developing really nicely and their core is moving younger

McGro fits because he can bring grit to the 2nd line and has chemistry with Fantilli - Stan fits because their third pairing sucks

I'd be looking to dump Laine not build around him... I actually don't see him as a hugely valuable piece - I'd actually place him at par with Iafallo in terms of a talented salary dump

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
I see these possibilities as to why he wants out:

1. The aforementioned development path issue/collapse of relationship w/ Jets and nothing else

2. Self entitlement pure and simple. Apparently no matter the NHL team. The Sean Renolds theory

3. Doesn't want to play here and all is a facade to maneuver himself away from here.

4. Something else?
I'll take #3 please.

Reactions: Flair Hay

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm giving this a little more consideration. I might be undervaluing Iaffalo in this context. I think he may be the kind of player CBJ needs to help turn their collection of good young players into a team.

If we just look at Belluz + Ceulemans for McGro + Iaffalo I think we have an interesting framework. McGro's market value has been hurt by his demands. Belluz and Ceulemans are both interesting prospects but not expensive blue chippers. They match with Jets positions of need and really could be spared by CBJ.

So now we look at Laine. I think Jets would have to see him as a pretty high risk project and CBJ would need to want to get rid of at least most of his cap pretty badly. If Jets are willing to risk taking on 6 mil of his cap what would CBJ need as a return? Would Stan be enough? I think Jets could manage 6 mil with Iafallo gone.

Is there any need on the Jets part to add Laine to the Belluz + Ceulemans for McGro + Iaffalo deal? Or does Cbus require Laine added in order to do the deal?

Circling back to that 4 man package, does either side need to add? Which one? Who says no, and why?
As a Jackets fan, I am very interested in your four-player trade idea. We already know McGroarty is open to coming to Columbus (as multiple fans at an event heard Fantilli answer someone's question about it), and that Columbus should have an open spot for him in the middle six (complicated somewhat by Laine's presense, as well as Kent Johnson's health after shoulder surgery). Ceulemans is a longer-term project since he lost a year of development in Wisconsin and he's pretty blocked at the NHL level in Columbus, not to mention the team's second round pick this year doing what he does but better at the same position. del bel Belluz is definitely blocked and has slid even further down the depth chart after this most recent draft, although he didn't look out of place at at all in the NHL last season and even scored on his first NHL shot; even so, he's no higher than fourth or fifth on the org's C chart at this point, and they'll likely replace Kuraly at 4C with another vet next season. I'd prefer Stanley to Iafallo just for roster reasons, but I know cap matters for the Jets.

I don't think Laine needs to be involved.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Then only issue with this is a lack of cap space. We can't fit Laine in as is even with 50% retention. They would have to take Iafallo.
Yes, the Jets could fit Laine if they traded Iafallo and signed Perfetti to a bridge deal. They could fit Laine with 2M retained with a long-term Perfetti deal, too.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm not really interested in Belluz or Ceulemans, to be honest.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If I am Waddell, I'm not sure I see a need on my team for Ehlers - their three Russians are developing really nicely and their core is moving younger

McGro fits because he can bring grit to the 2nd line and has chemistry with Fantilli - Stan fits because their third pairing sucks

I'd be looking to dump Laine not build around him... I actually don't see him as a hugely valuable piece - I'd actually place him at par with Iafallo in terms of a talented salary dump

They lack experienced wingers who are actually good. Plenty of young F but only Gaudreau is an experienced winger who can score. Will he rebound when united with Monahan?

I don't think Stan does much for their 3rd pair. Expect Jiricek to move up this year, for one. If they want more Dmen at Stan's level there will probably be several waived out of TCs who are just as good as Stan. Not as tall but ........

Laine is a project at this point and an expensive one. But the potential payoff is pretty high so he might be seen as a worthwhile gamble if it doesn't cost much to get him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I like Ceulemans. He is still, young for an NHL dman. Belluz was well regarded at the draft. I have not followed him since then.
I think it build down to the value of Laine.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If the Jackets were interested and aren't willing to trade a comparable prospect like Mateychuk, IMO it would be better to require their 2025 1st (top 5 protected).

Reactions: Thechozen1

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Neither was on my list a few weeks ago. But I see McG's value down. So theirs is up relative to his. Neither is a sure thing but both have potential.

I don't know them well enough to go beyond that. The assumption, of course, is that Jets scouts are satisfied.

There is always the option of letting McG play the full season in Michigan but then he is getting pretty close to UFA. I don't like that risk under the present circumstances.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Both those prospects seem underwhelming to me. Ceulems has had a real struggle adapting to pro to date. He's tracking a lot like Stanley and that isn't really a good thing.

The other player would be pretty far behind Lambert, Chibrikov etc on our forward depth chart.

Really would only want Johnson or Mateychuk from them.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Both those prospects seem underwhelming to me. Ceulems has had a real struggle adapting to pro to date. He's tracking a lot like Stanley and that isn't really a good thing.

The other player would be pretty far behind Lambert, Chibrikov etc on our forward depth chart.

Really would only want Johnson or Mateychuk from them.
I thought about Johnson but he completely tanked in their system last year... which is a lot like our system - I'd counter that Del Bel Belluz is tracking as a solid middle six Copp style of player.

I'd say Ceulemans is stuck in the Columbus system the same way LHD are stuck in ours... swapping Stan for Ceulemans is a definite upgrade for the Jets and fills a need for the Jackets.

I like both these prospects for a fresh start - depends on McGro's value whether the additional pick from Columbus is a protected 1st or a 2nd rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad