Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder what the NCAA has done with respect to what used to happen in the NCAA prior to the rule change at some schools? Envelopes of cash, cars "donated", etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think the move to allowing NCAA athletes to earn some sort of revenue is mostly a good thing given how much income they generate for their educational institution. But in the past there were all manner of rules violations and some players and/or recruits were magically gifted a car by a distant aunt and the players seldom seemed short of cash. Not at all universities of course, but many of the more consistently high finishing schools in football and basketball always seemed to have some sort of shadow hanging over them (cough*Louisville*cough).

Hockey I wouldn't think would be generating all that much NIL relative to basketball or football, so I just wonder if the other avenues are still employed. If so, it wouldn't take all that much to reach the equivalent of an AHL salary. Then you get the benefit of being BMOC in an, erm, target rich, environment with some income and other monetary/other benefits. To a young kid, that's probably not all that bad a compromise, though they should probably be eyeing up their future more than their present. Still, I can see how that mindset would exist.

It’s a great question.

I haven’t really dug in on this topic but lets face it, people are insanely competitive and they will cheat to win without the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.

Maybe this is a move that will at least make it a more transparent pathway to college athletes monetizing their talent. I’m not holding my breath though.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Once Danny and Jonesy heard Cutter did not want to play for them they had a plan and stuck to it. Did it quiet and got what they could. Your issue is he spoke his mind and the whole league knows he wants out. Going to be a hard sell. I like him but he has to earn a spot on the team nothing will be handed to him. Good luck getting a decent package for him.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Once Danny and Jonesy heard Cutter did not want to play for them they had a plan and stuck to it. Did it quiet and got what they could. Your issue is he spoke his mind and the whole league knows he wants out. Going to be a hard sell. I like him but he has to earn a spot on the team nothing will be handed to him. Good luck getting a decent package for him.

I’m sorry your GM was too afraid to call the bluff of your prospect and traded him for a lackluster return. I don’t think Chevy will do the same.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not sure what insight you are trying to share. The Gauthier situation is very different from McGroarty's since it seems that Gauthier specifically didn't want to play for the Flyers, while McGroarty seems more concerned about his development pathway.

In the end, the trade return will depend entirely on how many teams have a high interest, and by all accounts there are several. If McGroarty doesn't want to play in the AHL this season, then I expect him to have a big season in the NCAA and then be an attractive trade target at the trade deadline when he's closer to NHL ready. It only takes a couple of interested teams to get a good trade value, and Chevy has shown he'll wait until the time is right.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
^^^The thing is I'm actually not so sure it's even a development path thing. I still think it's possible he simply doesn't want to be here and the development "disagreement " is the pretext they are using as an ext strategy. Like Trouba's LHD/RHD "excuse" to leave Winnipeg.

Thought experiment: Transplant McGroarty to another team, let's say the Rangers. Same coaches, same teammates, same lineup opportunity as the Jets. Does he still do what he's doing? I'm not convinced he would.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
^^^The thing I'm actually not so sure it's even a development path thing. I still think it's possible he simply doesn't want to be here at the development "disagreement " is the pretext they are using as an ext strategy. Like Trouba LHD/RHD "excuse" to leave Winnipeg.

I think it was Murat reporting within the last few days that teams have been frustrated with McGroarty in their discussions with him after the Jets allowed other teams to speak with his representation. That would lead me to think it's not so much about the location.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think it was Murat reporting within the last few days that teams have been frustrated with McGroarty in their discussions with him after the Jets allowed other teams to speak with his representation. That would lead me to think it's not so much about the location.
I've heard the same reports but it's still possible that McGroarty's has a No trade list or in this case , a no play list and Winnipeg ( and potentially other teams/cities) are part of that list. Correct me if I'm wrong but Fox not only didn't want to play for the Flames, but there was at least one other team that tried to get him but he refused .I think it's at least possible McGroarty has a select few teams he wants to go to and Winnipeg is not one of them.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I've heard the same reports but it's still possible that McGroarty's has a No trade list or in this case , a no play list and Winnipeg ( and potentially other teams/cities) are part of that list. Correct me if I'm wrong but Fox not only didn't want to play for the Flames, but there was at least one other team that tried to get him but he refused .I think it's at least possible McGroarty has a select few teams he wants to go to and Winnipeg is not one of them.
The difference with Fox was that teams knew this and that's why he fell in the draft... flames took a flyer on him hoping things might change - if mcgro knew this and didn't disclose it at the draft that's f***ed up...

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
His prior “winnipeg jets were my favourite team growing up” during team usa junior medal run tik tok video wouldn’t make sense if he wanted nothing to do with the jets

Whileee

May 29, 2010
^^^The thing is I'm actually not so sure it's even a development path thing. I still think it's possible he simply doesn't want to be here and the development "disagreement " is the pretext they are using as an ext strategy. Like Trouba's LHD/RHD "excuse" to leave Winnipeg.

Thought experiment: Transplant McGroarty to another team, let's say the Rangers. Same coaches, same teammates, same lineup opportunity as the Jets. Does he still do what he's doing? I'm not convinced he would.
Maybe, but we don't have any actual reporting to support that view. All we know is that the Jets wanted to sign him this Spring, he didn't want to sign then because there was disagreement with the development path, and the Jets have explored trading him since.

Recall that just 6 months ago his father was wearing a Jets cap at an international tournament. That would be very odd if McGroarty was set on getting out of the Jets' organization.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Maybe, but we don't have any actual reporting to support that view. All we know is that the Jets wanted to sign him this Spring, he didn't want to sign then because there was disagreement with the development path, and the Jets have explored trading him since.

Recall that just 6 months ago his father was wearing a Jets cap at an international tournament. That would be very odd if McGroarty was set on getting out of the Jets' organization.
Thanks for that quasi scouting report. Yes that is indeed interesting. It is possible it's McGroarty himself and/or his college teammates steering him away. But this tidbit for me pushes a few more percentage points towards the development reasoning.
Having said that, PLD wanted out even with Dubois"s father not only supporting the Jets but actually worked/works with True North. And by all accounts in good terms. A bit of a different situation with PLD"s reported attitude and being an established pro I grant you.

It could be McGroarty himself but yeah thanks for that info.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Ken is basically saying any team ( Jets or whomever the Jets trade him to ) will be lying to Rutger if they "guarantee" him anything so he signs a contract.

This is the truth. Teams are in it to win, and even if team X says he will be a top 6 forward or whatever else they promise... if he's not living up to what they want from him, he will be riding the buses in the AHL, no matter what was promised. And if Rutger can't see this for himself, then he must be a good hockey player because he's not getting by in life using brain cells.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ken is basically saying any team ( Jets or whomever the Jets trade him to ) will be lying to Rutger if they "guarantee" him anything so he signs a contract.

This is the truth. Teams are in it to win, and even if team X says he will be a top 6 forward or whatever else they promise... if he's not living up to what they want from him, he will be riding the buses in the AHL, no matter what was promised. And if Rutger can't see this for himself, then he must be a good hockey player because he's not getting by in life using brain cells.
I would be very surprised if McGroarty, his family and his advisors don't already know this. My guess is that McGroarty knows he'd be on the bubble for an NHL roster spot next season and there's a good chance he'd be in the AHL regardless of team. He'd rather develop for another season in the NCAA. The Jets are probably weighing all the risks and opportunities with him and decided that trading him might be best, especially with prospect depth on LW. Other teams are probably thinking that acquiring him now just shifts some risk to them if he wants to stay in the NCAA, and they'd rather let the Jets assume the risk of stalled development or reluctance to sign. For the Jets, they need him to have a big season in the NCAA to establish himself as a top prospect, and then revisit signing or trading him when he's more ready to jump to the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think that adds up. By putting out the development path DEMANDS he has made it much more difficult for Jets to trade him and get what he wants, if it is simply out of Winnipeg. Whereas simply saying that he does not intend to sign with Jets gets him out quickly and cleanly. He could justify that on any grounds he likes, or choose to not justify it at all.

And then there is the attitude that he demonstrated until recently. That would have required some pretty high level acting talent.

But the bottom line is that he simply doesn't need any pretext. The story that has come out is limiting his trade value and thereby getting in the way of achieving his goal. It is damaging his career, at least in the short term.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think that adds up. By putting out the development path DEMANDS he has made it much more difficult for Jets to trade him and get what he wants, if it is simply out of Winnipeg. Whereas simply saying that he does not intend to sign with Jets gets him out quickly and cleanly. He could justify that on any grounds he likes, or choose to not justify it at all.

And then there is the attitude that he demonstrated until recently. That would have required some pretty high level acting talent.

But the bottom line is that he simply doesn't need any pretext. The story that has come out is limiting his trade value and thereby getting in the way of achieving his goal. It is damaging his career, at least in the short term.
I'm sticking with my conspiracy theory that he hung out with Fantilli at some point this season and they decided that they want to play their career together. Columbus is one of the few half-decent teams where his demands can be met...

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any reason why Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, etc don't make a play for him - but I also expected the deal to be done by now

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm sticking with my conspiracy theory that he hung out with Fantilli at some point this season and they decided that they want to play their career together. Columbus is one of the few half-decent teams where his demands can be met...

Otherwise, there shouldn't be any reason why Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, etc don't make a play for him - but I also expected the deal to be done by now
Possible for sure. Maybe Chevy tried to pry one of their young RHD and they wouldn't do it. Too soon for Chevy to move off his ask

I always love another conspiracy theory lol

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It is impossible to entirely rule that out. But again, that doesn't fit what has come out publicly. I don't mean simply that it is different. I mean that what has come out from his camp directly inhibits achieving the goal you are describing. If he had simply told Jets, quietly, that he would never sign with them, he would be long gone by now. He even could have provided a list of preferred teams, as long as it wasn't too short.

The Fox situation was very different, at least as I recall it. Fox had let it be known, before the draft, that he wanted to go to a very short list of teams. In fact, as I recall, it was NYR only, but I might be misremembering that. He would have gone in the 1st rd otherwise, probably high 1st. Flames decided it was worth the risk of a 3rd to try to persuade him to sign with them. When that didn't work they traded him to Carolina to recover the value of the 3rd that they had invested. When Canes couldn't sign him, they traded him to NYR where he signed almost immediately. Both Flames and Canes recovered the value they had spent on him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'll take the conspiracy theory one step further. Chevy has the framework of a deal with CBJ worked out. Laine is involved. Nothing can be completed until Patrick is out of the Player Assistance program because Chevy needs to talk to Patrick b4 committing.

It will be the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros to Philly.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes, exactly.

There is no way they could, or would, write such guarantees into a contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll take the conspiracy theory one step further. Chevy has the framework of a deal with CBJ worked out. Laine is involved. Nothing can be completed until Patrick is out of the Player Assistance program because Chevy needs to talk to Patrick b4 committing.

It will be the biggest blockbuster trade since Lindros to Philly.

Then only issue with this is a lack of cap space. We can't fit Laine in as is even with 50% retention. They would have to take Iafallo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad