Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Sure, but that isn't what he apparently wants. If he isn't going to sign here then we need to gwt something done.

But I agree that his skating is likely not good enough yet for him to have the type of impact he'd need to have to displace anyone right now.
His skating has improved since being drafted and it wasn’t terrible then, just not great. He works with Barb Underhill during the off-season.

And yet the Jets have the towering pylon in Stanley who gets beat wide like a turnstile regularly.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Damn good point. I’m just super disappointed about the whole situation…after taking a step back more disappointed in Rutgar. I can respect he’s doing what he feels is best for himself but as a Jets fan, this type of this is harmful for the organization and it really dampens what I respected about him in the first place

We are small market team that is SOL to attract big names and free agents. We don’t have a Mcdavid calibre generational lottery pick to swing that downside - we rely on our draft picks, especially marquee picks like him, him doing this kind of thing, has a lot of implications for the future - more than just other players dictating wanting out
I wouldn't be disappointed. Chevy has a good chance of coming out on top of this situation. McGroarty likely will never have the skating to be more than a middle 6 leader on the team. A guts and glory type, but not a needle mover unless everything else is in place. I see this as an opportunity to take advantage of a prospect with a reputation that is currently giving him peak trade value.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
you would also think that his dad wouldn't be wearing his jets cap the whole world jrs just 6 months ago if he never wanted to go to winnipeg, poster just made up something based on nothing and hoped he was right
Anyone can be traded. Barring you being a top end elite player any team would listen in on an offer.

Not sure what the issue is. Again easy enough to burn an elc year. Every team pretty much accepts that.

Roster spots are earned. Probably give him to mid to late Nov to make a call on whether to send him down or not. Enough to give him the opportunity you promised. Then you just evaluate. It’s only a legit issue when you have a birthday in that 10/11 week period between July to mid September where your ufa status can get delayed to 2032 vs 2031 if you don’t accrue a year of service towards ufa in your first pro year. As you need either 4 years & turn 27 by July 1 or have 7 years of service.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I wouldn't be disappointed. Chevy has a good chance of coming out on top of this situation. McGroarty likely will never have the skating to be more than a middle 6 leader on the team. A guts and glory type, but not a needle mover unless everything else is in place. I see this as an opportunity to take advantage of a prospect with a reputation that is currently giving him peak trade value.
I know we say Cheveldayoff is always coming out on top but I’m not seeing it translating into anything to brag about.
Once this latest episode comes to be an end , the focus really shifts to what does this club do to take the next step.
Sorry I just don’t see it with Cheveldayoff in charge.

Reactions: rkp and bustamente

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I know we say Cheveldayoff is always coming out on top but I’m not seeing it translating into anything to brag about.
Once this latest episode comes to be an end , the focus really shifts to what does this club do to take the next step.
Sorry I just don’t see it with Cheveldayoff in charge.
I'm still on the Chevy should have been fired 2 years ago train, but he’s still here and will probably outlive me as GM for this team.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
That makes it a little tighter. 3RW could still be made available.

I hope we don't reup Mono though. He is not the right solution at 2C. I think that if we were going to re-sign him it would have been done by now.

Not wild about Ehlers for Necas either. He would just be another malcontent here. The value is not bad but the fit is.
I don't think Chevy likes the idea of blowing a 1st, 2nd +, and 4th on nothing more than a few months of Monahan, Toffoli and Miller. I'm guessing he wants some more long term value out of at least one of those players.

I am leaning towards your view about Monahan even if it is just a two or three year deal, but I think Chevy may very well attempt to sign him. Miller I would be fine with as a 5th or 6th d man.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Rumor is Leafs are really interested. Kypreos says it would take something like Minten + 2024 First rounder to get a deal done
That would be a no thanks from me. I might listen if Easton Cowan is on the table, but even then, I feel there could be better deals out there.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think I am in the minority here, but I really don't have that much of a problem McGroarty wanting out. It has come up at the opportune time to make a move before the draft. We have 2 years of control with no trade restrictions so Chevy can grind the deal he wants, and no doubt he will get full value. Ideally, Chevy is able to trade from a position of strength to a position of need. I much prefer this to a college player playing out their 4 years and we are left with F...all.

These NCAA guys seem to be using their leverage more and more to push for they want, and I don't see it as a slight on the organization. Good for Chevy not being held hostage to 20 y/o prospects. Lambert and Chib deserve a look before him anyways.
I'm not far away from your minority position, in that I'm unhappy about it, but not mortally offended or surprised. When Trouba left I took it more personally, because I expected TNSE's loyalty to be reciprocated and was unaware of his personal circumstances. Since then, the trend toward highly-ranked US players wanting to repatriate and feeling they have the power to do so has continued increase. Just ask the Flames, who play in a bigger and more American-like market than Canada. Their agents and (some) parents have a ton of influence over these young kids and are taking full advantage of their growing power. If Rutger is like most budding young hockey stars, he just wants to play hockey and win, not play politics.

The best scenario for me is that he is traded for a more developed prospect who can step in this year and Ehlers is either re-signed or brings back an (almost) equally talented 2C, who is given more latitude than Nik was. If Chevy does what he does best, we might actually come out of this ahead of last year.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Its the crowd that plays NHL 2024 on XCUBEPLAYBOX or whatever and make trades all the time no problem and have 7 Stanley cups for the Jets already
And I was told that I sounded old and out of touch lol...

Pro dad-tip... I'd you ever want to sound purposefully out of touch to your kids, just put a "the" before and an "s" on the end of something modern...

To a teenage daughter:

"Hey sweetheart, why do you spend so much time on the TikToks?"

I think I am in the minority here, but I really don't have that much of a problem McGroarty wanting out. It has come up at the opportune time to make a move before the draft. We have 2 years of control with no trade restrictions so Chevy can grind the deal he wants, and no doubt he will get full value. Ideally, Chevy is able to trade from a position of strength to a position of need. I much prefer this to a college player playing out their 4 years and we are left with F...all.

These NCAA guys seem to be using their leverage more and more to push for they want, and I don't see it as a slight on the organization. Good for Chevy not being held hostage to 20 y/o prospects. Lambert and Chib deserve a look before him anyways.
To take this welcomed positivity a step farther...

I think Rutger's stock has gone up slightly since his draft. This is a good chance to deal from a position of strength (winger) to shore up D or C with a decent prospect

Advocates for drafting BPA use this as a solid rationale instead of picking a kid for a specific position

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

You aren’t alone. Trades and wheeling and dealing add excitement to the off season. I am a draft hawk so maybe we get a look at a high value asset on draft day after all. I do look at it as a potential chance for Chevy rebalance a winger heavy team, and prospect pool. Time will tell what that return looks like.

I am not thrilled with the leverage play but I get it. I certainly wouldn’t bank on getting a fair shake if I had a “good” training camp as a rookie. How amazing would it have to be? The Jets are in a win now mode, they have a desperate to validate himself 60 year old head coach getting his second and most likely last shot finally, and we have an owner who is desperate to win now to fill seats. On top of that we are overflowing with quality wingers and there is no guarantee of movement as of today. There are also prospects on the cusp that have put in their time like good soldiers.

24 hours after the news broke I kind of don’t give a shit anymore, I want a good return on the asset and if we get that then great. It could work out well.

Onward!

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Once the move is made I will comment some more.

But I had red flags about his character at the WJC. As many know I watch a lot of NCAA and was at the Frozen 4.

I’m sure Chevy will get a good return. This wasn’t a situation where Andrew Copp came in and played some games on a non- playoff team. This was a guy who was putting himself above the “team” that had played 80 games and had some serious playoff aspirations. IF this proves to be the reason he leaves.

The Jets could simply be dealing a player in the organization from an area of strength to fill an area of weakness.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I am ok with a trade. I am also ok retaining his rights for 2 more years and letting him walk as a free agent and let him take a hit in career earning potential and time to impact in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder about the new ability for college players to earn money while in college. I read somewhere that they are permitted to make 2-3x more in college than an AHL salary on an ELC, so there's more incentive to stay in college if they don't have a strong opportunity to play in the NHL.

I think Rutger and his dad were all aboard the Jets' bandwagon until it came time to discuss a contract and the Jets' plan. When the Jets said they didn't plan on giving him any NHL time this season, and that they viewed his development process as likely needing some AHL time their perspective about the Jets changed. It's not such a big surprise, I suppose.
Honestly, Michigan boosters are paying their football players. I don't know how much the top 25 NCAA players are getting in NIL money. Probably sum, but can't imagine it being $250K.

End of the day, you have to make the team. His play will dictate whether he's up with the Jets all season or assigned to the Moose at some point.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Thanks King. These types of posts are helping me see the flip side and the positives to this situation

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Chevy likes the idea of blowing a 1st, 2nd +, and 4th on nothing more than a few months of Monahan, Toffoli and Miller. I'm guessing he wants some more long term value out of at least one of those players.

I am leaning towards your view about Monahan even if it is just a two or three year deal, but I think Chevy may very well attempt to sign him. Miller I would be fine with as a 5th or 6th d man.

Pretty sure Chevy has tried to sign him and he has elected to go to UFA. Maybe hoping he can test the market and come back to Jets if he doesn't get a better offer.

I'm not far away from your minority position, in that I'm unhappy about it, but not mortally offended or surprised. When Trouba left I took it more personally, because I expected TNSE's loyalty to be reciprocated and was unaware of his personal circumstances. Since then, the trend toward highly-ranked US players wanting to repatriate and feeling they have the power to do so has continued increase. Just ask the Flames, who play in a bigger and more American-like market than Canada. Their agents and (some) parents have a ton of influence over these young kids and are taking full advantage of their growing power. If Rutger is like most budding young hockey stars, he just wants to play hockey and win, not play politics.

The best scenario for me is that he is traded for a more developed prospect who can step in this year and Ehlers is either re-signed or brings back an (almost) equally talented 2C, who is given more latitude than Nik was. If Chevy does what he does best, we might actually come out of this ahead of last year.

I like the positivity, but I'm not nearly that optimistic. I think we might get to rejig positionally a bit but with less talent on both.

You aren’t alone. Trades and wheeling and dealing add excitement to the off season. I am a draft hawk so maybe we get a look at a high value asset on draft day after all. I do look at it as a potential chance for Chevy rebalance a winger heavy team, and prospect pool. Time will tell what that return looks like.

I am not thrilled with the leverage play but I get it. I certainly wouldn’t bank on getting a fair shake if I had a “good” training camp as a rookie. How amazing would it have to be? The Jets are in a win now mode, they have a desperate to validate himself 60 year old head coach getting his second and most likely last shot finally, and we have an owner who is desperate to win now to fill seats. On top of that we are overflowing with quality wingers and there is no guarantee of movement as of today. There are also prospects on the cusp that have put in their time like good soldiers.

24 hours after the news broke I kind of don’t give a shit anymore, I want a good return on the asset and if we get that then great. It could work out well.

Onward!

The action starts tomorrow, now that the Cup has been awarded.

I hope that in a few days I can look back on a deal as though it was simply announced by Jets that they had made a hockey trade with McGo - without any of the drama.

Since I have had high expectations for McGroarty I will be hard to impress with the return. Hope I can like it on its merits without having to qualify with anything about Chevy doing well 'under the circumstances'.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If I'm Chevy, I let it be known that McG is up for trade but the price isn't cheap. If I can't get a deal done, no problem, Rutger goes back to uni and I trade him next summer.

I'd trade him straight up for Savoie or Geekie.

I'd like to see Chevy make a blockbuster and get the CBJs 1st rounder and Jiricek.
Ehlers, McG, Montreal's 2nd and whatever else would be needed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If I'm Chevy, I let it be known that McG is up for trade but the price isn't cheap. If I can't get a deal done, no problem, Rutger goes back to uni and I trade him next summer.

I'd trade him straight up for Savoie or Geekie.

I'd like to see Chevy make a blockbuster and get the CBJs 1st rounder and Jiricek.
Ehlers, McG, Montreal's 2nd and whatever else would be needed.
I have a feeling Chevy is going to be a busy guy for the next couple of weeks .

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
If he was in the draft this year, where would he go? In other words, if he was traded for the best draft pick, what could we expect?

How does he compare to Savoie or Geekie as a prospect? Could that trade be had 1-1?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some posters are so hormonal about this.
So what he doesn’t want to play here, I don’t think he’s wrong in thinking he will get an opportunity here anytime soon.
If Chevy can make chicken salad out of this we are laughing.
Sure hope he’s puts a roster together that doesn’t rely solely on Hellebucyk yet again to MAKE the playoffs and a team that can actually perform in playoffs.
Cheveldayoff it’s now or never.
I don't think we relied on Helly last season to get into the playoffs , we played a good defensive team game that for whatever reason we didn't remotely play in the playoffs. Nobody played good in the playoffs and Chevy has to figure out why pretty quick.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If he was in the draft this year, where would he go? In other words, if he was traded for the best draft pick, what could we expect?

How does he compare to Savoie or Geekie as a prospect? Could that trade be had 1-1?
I've heard Savoie thrown around a bit. I have a hard time seeing Mc Groarty traded for him...I just look at what the future of the Jets is. Good chance Lambert and Perfetti form 2/3 of a 2nd line. Smaller forwards, and I think a reason the Jets want to move Ehlers. Now that Barlow kid is a big power forward potentially but I don't know if he is going to make the team next year or if he is being groomed to replace KC. The Jets have to look at potentially being near the end with Lowry too, unless they build a winner. So I think they were looking at that kind of player in Mc Groarty...maybe wanted to groom him as a C in the A...Geekie seems like more of the mold the Jets are looking for. Conversely this team wants to stay in contention, wouldn't be surprised if Mc Groarty gets traded for an established player on ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad