Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I don't think we relied on Helly last season to get into the playoffs , we played a good defensive team game that for whatever reason we didn't remotely play in the playoffs. Nobody played good in the playoffs and Chevy has to figure out why pretty quick.
I still think we did rely on Helle and it didn’t hurt that Bro had a great year as well.
I tend to agree with you on most things, but this team is ordinary with any other goalie except Vas, and maybe 1 or 2 others.
It shows in the playoffs and has for a few years in a row now.

Reactions: Bigfish and Cypruss

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I still think we did rely on Helle and it didn’t hurt that Bro had a great year as well.
I tend to agree with you on most things, but this team is ordinary with any other goalie except Vas, and maybe 1 or 2 others.
It shows in the playoffs and has for a few years in a row now.
Don't get me wrong after these last 2 years of completely not showing up for the playoffs this team needs some change, no doubt about it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Once the move is made I will comment some more.

But I had red flags about his character at the WJC. As many know I watch a lot of NCAA and was at the Frozen 4.

I’m sure Chevy will get a good return. This wasn’t a situation where Andrew Copp came in and played some games on a non- playoff team. This was a guy who was putting himself above the “team” that had played 80 games and had some serious playoff aspirations. IF this proves to be the reason he leaves.

The Jets could simply be dealing a player in the organization from an area of strength to fill an area of weakness.
What were your red flags at wjc?

Edit: scrolled past your first sentence, my bad...not sure if it makes a difference pre or post trade.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Organization love this guy, wouldn't surprise me if they convince him to stay. But also wouldn't surprise me to sell high on him, value is sky high right now, might be a good time to bring in a good return.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Organization love this guy, wouldn't surprise me if they convince him to stay. But also wouldn't surprise me to sell high on him, value is sky high right now, might be a good time to bring in a good return.
By the sounds of everything thats come out in the media the ship has sailed on any reconciliation. He's getting traded this week.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
We don't know what the deal is, it's all speculation. The media often gets this wrong. He looks like a highly coveted prospect but zero Pro experience, it's a big jump. Could be the next Jimmy Vesey.

Vesey is the same size and had way better numbers out of Harvard.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
We don't know what the deal is, it's all speculation. The media often gets this wrong. He looks like a highly coveted prospect but zero Pro experience, it's a big jump. Could be the next Jimmy Vesey.

Vesey is the same size and had way better numbers out of Harvard.
vesey 18 points - 27 games then 22 points in 31 games
mcgroarty 39 points in 39 games then 52 points in 36 games

vesey did not come close to putting up way better numbers

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've heard Savoie thrown around a bit. I have a hard time seeing Mc Groarty traded for him...I just look at what the future of the Jets is. Good chance Lambert and Perfetti form 2/3 of a 2nd line. Smaller forwards, and I think a reason the Jets want to move Ehlers. Now that Barlow kid is a big power forward potentially but I don't know if he is going to make the team next year or if he is being groomed to replace KC. The Jets have to look at potentially being near the end with Lowry too, unless they build a winner. So I think they were looking at that kind of player in Mc Groarty...maybe wanted to groom him as a C in the A...Geekie seems like more of the mold the Jets are looking for. Conversely this team wants to stay in contention, wouldn't be surprised if Mc Groarty gets traded for an established player on ELC.

Savoie isn't a perimeter player. He plays a tenacious game very similar to Point. Tampa won a couple cups with him as their top center. This org also needs more speed and Savoie brings that.

Also we don't know what we will get for Ehelers but the Jets are in on Necas who has size.

Not really a Geekie fan. He's always come off as less then the sum of his parts.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Savoie isn't a perimeter player. He plays a tenacious game very similar to Point. Tampa won a couple cups with him as their top center. This org also needs more speed and Savoie brings that.

Also we don't know what we will get for Ehelers but the Jets are in on Necas who has size.

Not really a Geekie fan. He's always come off as less then the sum of his parts.
Are the Jets really in on Necas...I've heard rumours but nothing about the Jets. I'll take your word on Geekie, but I sure liked the way his brother played in the playoffs. We could use some net drive, not just speed.

I am wondering about another guy who was drafted in 2022, who hasn't signed a pro contract yet...Ryan Chesley. He seems like the kind of guy you would want to pair Samberg with down the road...anyone know why Washington hasn't signed him yet, and could we have some kind of deal here, with a possible add on Caps part?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Are the Jets really in on Necas...I've heard rumours but nothing about the Jets. I'll take your word on Geekie, but I sure liked the way his brother played in the playoffs. We could use some net drive, not just speed.

I am wondering about another guy who was drafted in 2022, who hasn't signed a pro contract yet...Ryan Chesley. He seems like the kind of guy you would want to pair Samberg with down the road...anyone know why Washington hasn't signed him yet, and could we have some kind of deal here, with a possible add on Caps part?
dreger/johnston/lebrun have all mentioned that we've been one of the teams in on necas

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
dreger/johnston/lebrun have all mentioned that we've been one of the teams in on necas
Those are pretty much the same guys who had us in on Timo Meier, it's easy to throw the Jets name in the hat, but the fact that Necas is likely looking for a long term contract, and PP1 time, and that the Canes are asking for a lot makes me think that's just wishful thinking.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
before we all
1. Declare this a crisis and disaster
2.Anoint Rutger the "Best Jets Prospect EVAR"

I have two words

Jimmy Vesey.

hailed as a franchise savior and future star... every GM was horny to land him.....
now here we are...
5 (6 moves) teams in 8 years...and 186 points in 583 games.......
so a decent 3rd line checking player you could pick up for a bag of pucks.

NCAA success is NOT a guarantee of NHL success

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Those are pretty much the same guys who had us in on Timo Meier, it's easy to throw the Jets name in the hat, but the fact that Necas is likely looking for a long term contract, and PP1 time, and that the Canes are asking for a lot makes me think that's just wishful thinking.

And because a player didnt end up a Jet proofs insiders saying the Jets are in on him is bs?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
before we all

I have two words

Jimmy Vesey.

hailed as a franchise savior and future star... every GM was horny to land him.....
now here we are...

Sure, NCAA success doesn't guarantee anything, but it's comparing apples and oranges.

McGroarty was a 14th overall pick and has exceeded expectations in his first two years in the NCAA (his 18 and 19 year old seasons).

Vesey was drafted in the 3rd round as an overager and didn't turn into a good scorer until his 3rd year in the NCAA (his 21 year old season).

I think McG thinks he's a top end prospect (and he's not wrong)...and he wants to be treated like it. Trouba stepped off Michigan right into the lineup. Copp did as well (and got to burn a year of his ELC). Connor didn't get to burn a year, but got 2 months to start the 2016-17 season right out of Michigan...you telling me that wasn't a gentleman's agreement for ice time? Hellebuyck's probably the only high end NCAA player the Jets haven't enticed with a burnt year or an ice time guarantee. McG probably is wondering WTF he isn't getting the red carpet rolled out...

Reactions: Bigfish

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
before we all

I have two words

Jimmy Vesey.

now here we are...

He’s already played 583 games?!? When did that happen?!

I would argue that is NHL success. All bottom 6 players were prospects at one point, some pretty good.

Reactions: robertocarlos

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure, NCAA success doesn't guarantee anything, but it's comparing apples and oranges.

McGroarty was a 14th overall pick and has exceeded expectations in his first two years in the NCAA (his 18 and 19 year old seasons).

Vesey was drafted in the 3rd round as an overager and didn't turn into a good scorer until his 3rd year in the NCAA (his 21 year old season).

I think McG thinks he's a top end prospect (and he's not wrong)...and he wants to be treated like it. Trouba stepped off Michigan right into the lineup. Copp did as well (and got to burn a year of his ELC). Connor didn't get to burn a year, but got 2 months to start the 2016-17 season right out of Michigan...you telling me that wasn't a gentleman's agreement for ice time? Hellebuyck's probably the only high end NCAA player the Jets haven't enticed with a burnt year or an ice time guarantee. McG probably is wondering WTF he isn't getting the red carpet rolled out...

Team was in a very different situation when those guys made the roster. It's easy to give players spots on a team that isn't a playoff team let alone a top 4 at the time team. I'm sure the org would have happily given him the token game at the end of the year and burned the year but he allegedly wanted to step right into our playoff team roster. I'm sorry but that is unreasonable given the quality of players we were already benching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad