Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
apparently his dad wearing a jets hat is all part of his masterplan to get his son a trade...

Why would you jepordize your son's career buy being stupid. All we heard before the draft about Lambert was how awful his father was and it tanked his position and we got lucky. He is just doing what any good dad would and cheer lead.

Its his camp. His agent. and Rutger.

You don't want to believe it fine. But when these guys are playing games, and Rutger isn't the first one and he won't be the last, that includes getting to play where you want and you think its the Orgs fault then go for it

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I think Rutger and his dad were all aboard the Jets' bandwagon until it came time to discuss a contract and the Jets' plan. When the Jets said they didn't plan on giving him any NHL time this season, and that they viewed his development process as likely needing some AHL time their perspective about the Jets changed. It's not such a big surprise, I suppose.
yeah, I think he was fine with going to winnipeg, just think he views himself as nhl ready and the jets weren't willing to give him the guarantee that he would be in the nhl so now he wants out like his bestie cutter, pretty much how everyone who has some inside knowledge has reported, I think the claim he never wanted to be here is based on nothing

Why would you jepordize your son's career buy being stupid. All we heard before the draft about Lambert was how awful his father was and it tanked his position and we got lucky. He is just doing what any good dad would and cheer lead.

Its his camp. His agent. and Rutger.

You don't want to believe it fine. But when these guys are playing games, and Rutger isn't the first one and he won't be the last, that includes getting to play where you want and you think its the Orgs fault then go for it
wtf? his dad simply not sporting a jets hat when he didn't need to would some how jeopardize his career? he literally could have wore a usa hat while cheering on his son and nobody would have said a thing...

how do I blame the org? lol...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
yeah, I think he was fine with going to winnipeg, just think he views himself as nhl ready and the jets weren't willing to give him the guarantee that he would be in the nhl so now he wants out like his bestie cutter, pretty much how everyone who has some inside knowledge has reported, I think the claim he never wanted to be here is based on nothing

wtf? his dad simply not sporting a jets hat when he didn't need to would some how jeopardize his career?

Hes a dad he is happy his son got drafted. It doesn't mean his agent or Rutger are completely sold on the idea of coming here. If they were so enthused he should have signed and came to camp and won a stop. Why do think there are moving on from Ehlers? They know what they have coming. Now that is done and and they have to move on.

If they do actually trade him this week then good riddance and I hope he falls on his face somewhere else

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Say we trade Ehlers for Necas and reup Monohan. Then there is a massive logjam. Hard to guarantee someone something when you don't know what your roster will be.

That makes it a little tighter. 3RW could still be made available.

I hope we don't reup Mono though. He is not the right solution at 2C. I think that if we were going to re-sign him it would have been done by now.

Not wild about Ehlers for Necas either. He would just be another malcontent here. The value is not bad but the fit is.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Hes a dad he is happy his son got drafted. It doesn't mean his agent or Rutger are completely sold on the idea of coming here. If they were so enthused he should have signed and came to camp and won a stop. Why do think there are moving on from Ehlers? They know what they have coming. Now that is done and and they have to move on.

If they do actually trade him this week then good riddance and I hope he falls on his face somewhere else
if he didn't want to play in winnipeg then don't you think he would tell his dad that, so his dad wouldn't wear the hat of a team he had no intention of playing for at an event that had nothing to do with them...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think I am in the minority here, but I really don't have that much of a problem McGroarty wanting out. It has come up at the opportune time to make a move before the draft. We have 2 years of control with no trade restrictions so Chevy can grind the deal he wants, and no doubt he will get full value. Ideally, Chevy is able to trade from a position of strength to a position of need. I much prefer this to a college player playing out their 4 years and we are left with F...all.

These NCAA guys seem to be using their leverage more and more to push for they want, and I don't see it as a slight on the organization. Good for Chevy not being held hostage to 20 y/o prospects. Lambert and Chib deserve a look before him anyways.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011
Apparently he's not happy because the Jets didn't gift him some games this season and basically guarantee him a roster spot?? Apparently the idea that one of his strengths was his work ethic and strong character were totally out to lunch. If he's as good as he thinks he is then he'd come to camp and bust his ass to EARN a roster spot. This isn't a generational player we're talking about here, its some entitled spoiled brat who wants to be gifted a roster spot. Good riddance.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
They want their cake and a blow job plus you better bend over after.

IMG_0030.jpeg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Too funny, everyone killing the Jets about how they messed up yet another prospect .:laugh: I don't want this spoiled brat anywhere near a Jets jersey.
That's what I don't get, people go on and on about established veterans pushing for what they want, but when some 20 year old prospect tries to do it, without ever playing a NHL game it is somehow the organizations fault.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I think I am in the minority here, but I really don't have that much of a problem McGroarty wanting out. It has come up at the opportune time to make a move before the draft. We have 2 years of control with no trade restrictions so Chevy can grind the deal he wants, and no doubt he will get full value. Ideally, Chevy is able to trade from a position of strength to a position of need. I much prefer this to a college player playing out their 4 years and we are left with F...all.

These NCAA guys seem to be using their leverage more and more to push for they want, and I don't see it as a slight on the organization. Good for Chevy not being held hostage to 20 y/o prospects. Lambert and Chib deserve a look before him anyways.
Yes, Jets can possibly make the best of a bad situation. Doesn’t excuse McG’s immature behaviour.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
There was no evidence of this prior to the draft. Every scout, every analyst said how much of a leader and character guy he was. It was a good pick, then, and now.
Hopefully Chevy can pull a rabbit out of his hat again and turn this into a win, but in all seriousness, he’s gotta be running out of rabbits.
Agree. People get excited over first round picks but there's a good chance if that's what we get it could flop. I'm sure Chevy knows that. He probably wants someone proven unless there is someone they absolutely love.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Some posters are so hormonal about this.
So what he doesn’t want to play here, I don’t think he’s wrong in thinking he will get an opportunity here anytime soon.
If Chevy can make chicken salad out of this we are laughing.
Sure hope he’s puts a roster together that doesn’t rely solely on Hellebucyk yet again to MAKE the playoffs and a team that can actually perform in playoffs.
Cheveldayoff it’s now or never.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The important thing about the McGro crisis is that it shows how full of shit HFBoards is...

Would be nice to know the name of his family advisor...

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
And where did Murat get his story from ... Elliotte?
Before Elliotte's story NOBODY mentioned it. Now everywhere you look on social media McGroarty is being traded. It reminds of the BS story of Bedard's mom and Perry. It spread like wildfire.
Murat Ates reposted

Murat Ates
@WPGMurat

I'm told Rutger McGroarty is likely to be traded.
Why the disconnect?
Why would the #NHLJets explore a McGroarty trade at all?
Following up on Elliotte Friedman's report in 32 Thoughts, it seems there's quite a story here.

Also Mike McIntyre and Ken Wiebe had both heard as much and were in the process of writing a piece for the Freep

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

He's the type of prospect teams go crazy for so I imagine Chevy will grind out a good return.

Maybe even helps us out at RD

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
You have to do what they want and if they don't they will take there ball and go home. Do you honestly think if there was a chance he would sign here the Jets would be entertaining moving him?

Anyone can see he doesn't want to be here and its just a very convenient excuse to use that they wouldn't sign him and play him this year. Who cares if daddy is wearing a ball cap that just the business part of it. His dad will gladly wear whatever hat they put in front of him if it gets his son what he wants

Damn good point. I’m just super disappointed about the whole situation…after taking a step back more disappointed in Rutgar. I can respect he’s doing what he feels is best for himself but as a Jets fan, this type of this is harmful for the organization and it really dampens what I respected about him in the first place

We are small market team that is SOL to attract big names and free agents. We don’t have a Mcdavid calibre generational lottery pick to swing that downside - we rely on our draft picks, especially marquee picks like him, him doing this kind of thing, has a lot of implications for the future - more than just other players dictating wanting out

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad