Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
He never wanted to come to Winnipeg. He wanted out and watched his Buddy Cutter get his way and he wants the same thing. So fine trade him and get something. Its a shame because everything about this kid was about his leadership and well he just seems like someone that is entitled and wants what he wants and be dammed with anything else
Doesn't jive with the enthusiasm we saw on draft day. When the Jets drafted him he was pretty pumped putting on that jersey. If he never wanted to come to Winnipeg I think we would have seen a more muted celebration on his part.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Just a shower thought. If it’s true that Chevy/Bowness were set on the roster and did not want to give him the 2 games after Michigan was eliminated for fear of losing out of home ice advantage (keeping in mind that Chib and Fly Jr got in for 1),does that 1 extra game that Chipman cashed in on, outweigh the loss in revenue that was clearly becoming what would have been a fan favourite? Jersey sales for 7 or 8 years, public appearances, Jets gear and everything else that Chipman “could” have milked it for. I think Rutger would have been an absolute gem here and brought some really good publicity to the city.
Not condoning what, if true, has happened. None of us will really know. But my gut tells me this may be short sighted but management.

Hindsight is 20/20. They were loading up for bear, the team was all in. If the team had a crystal ball and could see the first round exit coming then yeah, sure, why not give every prospect a go. But that was certainly not the thinking at the time.

All this tells me is that McGroarty is a fraud who made the Jets believe he was something that he wasn't. When does Chevy stop believing these American boys who claim they're enthusiastic as hell about playing in Winnipeg until draft day is over and everyone goes home?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think its just a tactic from his agent to not put him in a bad light. Its bullshit in my opinion and the media ate it up

Yup I agree. The Jets are clearly high on him and would sign him, it was his decision to go back to college and refuse to sign. Maybe the Jets wouldn't guarantee him a spot, we'll never know that for sure either way though. But regardless it is completely on Rutger not wanting to sign here, and that's his chosen excuse.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Doesn't jive with the enthusiasm we saw on draft day. When the Jets drafted him he was pretty pumped putting on that jersey. If he never wanted to come to Winnipeg I think we would have seen a more muted celebration on his part.

Its branding. Look at me I love everyone and every place. You will love me too. He just wants his brand to be in another city

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
you would also think that his dad wouldn't be wearing his jets cap the whole world jrs just 6 months ago if he never wanted to go to winnipeg, poster just made up something based on nothing and hoped he was right

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
you would also think that his dad wouldn't be wearing his jets cap the whole world jrs just 6 months ago if he never wanted to go to winnipeg, poster just made up something based on nothing and hoped he was right

You have to do what they want and if they don't they will take there ball and go home. Do you honestly think if there was a chance he would sign here they Jets would be entertaining moving him?

Anyone can see he doesn't want to be here and its just a very convenient excuse to use that they wouldn't sign him and play him this year. Who cares if daddy is wearing a ball cap that just the business part of it. His dad will gladly wear whatever hat they put in front of him if it gets his son what he wants

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup I agree. The Jets are clearly high on him and would sign him, it was his decision to go back to college and refuse to sign. Maybe the Jets wouldn't guarantee him a spot, we'll never know that for sure either way though. But regardless it is completely on Rutger not wanting to sign here, and that's his chosen excuse.
You can’t guarantee that they may not assign him to the A if they view his game isn’t ready for the nhl. Connor played in the A and he posted basically as many points as Rutger in just 1 season.

Kid has to be prepared to be assigned to the A vs expect to be on the nhl roster the entire season. All jets can do is give him the opportunity. That would just guarantee him to maybe US thanksgiving as the most see if he’s playing well enough to warrant remaining on the roster or not.

He has a March birthday so no matter what he’d hit ufa when he’s 27. Unlike those kids born between jul to mid Sept if they don’t play half the season in the nhl in their first year as a pro have to wait an extra year to hit ufa.

Reactions: roccerfeller

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You have to do what they want and if they don't they will take there ball and go home. Do you honestly think if there was a chance he would sign here they Jets would be entertaining moving him?

Anyone can see he doesn't want to be here and its just a very convenient excuse to use that they wouldn't sign him and play him this year. Who cares if daddy is wearing a ball cap that just the business part of it. His dad will gladly wear whatever hat they put in front of him if it gets his son what he wants
the reports are that he wants out because he feels he's nhl ready and the jets couldn't guarantee a spot...

his dad wearing a jets hat 6 months ago at the world jr's because that will some how get the jets to trade him? I hope you didn't hurt yourself with that stretch....

like you are literally just making it up that he never wanted to be here based on nothing, every other person that actually has connections has said that this is from him believing he should be in the nhl and the jets not willing to give him a guarantee that's where he will play

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Any way you shake it, your top prospect wanting out because he doesn't think the team will develop him properly is horrible news for a team that needs to rely on players drafted and developed to be successful.

This isn't the situation. The player is not having concerns about his development, he has concerns about being put in the NHL lineup immediately. 2 entirely different situations.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Except other reporters like Murat have also written about this as truth.
And where did Murat get his story from ... Elliotte?
Before Elliotte's story NOBODY mentioned it. Now everywhere you look on social media McGroarty is being traded. It reminds of the BS story of Bedard's mom and Perry. It spread like wildfire.
Murat Ates reposted

Murat Ates
@WPGMurat

I'm told Rutger McGroarty is likely to be traded.
Why the disconnect?
Why would the #NHLJets explore a McGroarty trade at all?
Following up on Elliotte Friedman's report in 32 Thoughts, it seems there's quite a story here.

Reactions: Buffdog

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
And where did Murat get his story from ... Elliotte?
Murat Ates reposted

Murat Ates
@WPGMurat

I'm told Rutger McGroarty is likely to be traded.
Why the disconnect?
Why would the #NHLJets explore a McGroarty trade at all?
Following up on Elliotte Friedman's report in 32 Thoughts, it seems there's quite a story here.
The Winnipeg Jets’ 2022 first-round pick, Rutger McGroarty, is likely to be traded, a league source told The Athletic on Saturday.

This confirms and adds to Elliotte Friedman’s report on the 32 Thoughts podcast that McGroarty’s name “has come up in trade discussions” and that “the Jets have discussed trading and other teams have discussed acquiring McGroarty’s rights.”

The league source indicated that McGroarty’s view of his long-term future with Winnipeg changed since the conclusion of his NCAA season.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The Leafs were tied for. . 5th in the NHL in 22-23 when they signed Knies and played him to end the season and 7 games in the playoffs (I think he got hurt iirc?) Rutger had a better season and higher draft profile. *shrug*.

Yes.....because following the decisions of the Leafs really works out well.

Reactions: Cypruss and Buffdog

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
the reports are that he wants out because he feels he's nhl ready and the jets couldn't guarantee a spot...

his dad will wear a jets hat 6 months ago at the world jr's because that will some how get the jets to trade him? I hope you didn't hurt yourself with that stretch....

like you are literally just making it up that he never wanted to be here based on nothing, every other person that actually has connections has said that this is from him believing he should be in the nhl and the jets not willing to give him a guarantee that's where he will play

He would just sign and come to camp and make the team if he feels he is good enough. No one gets a guarantee. He wants out and he isn't the first guy that doesn't want to stay or be here.

His camp is going to say "OH I AM SO UPSET I DIDN"T GET TO COME IN AND PLAY A GAME! AND NOW I WANT OUT YOU GUYS AR MEAN!" Like come on. Like he is actually going to risk going back to college and not go pro. Now we get all this shit in the media when the Jets don't leak nothing. All tactics and showmanship for a guy who doesn't want to be and he liked how Cutter got his way with Philly.

This is probably the last College bound American we end up drafting this high again is my guess. They want there cake and a blow job plus you better bend over after.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The Winnipeg Jets’ 2022 first-round pick, Rutger McGroarty, is likely to be traded, a league source told The Athletic on Saturday.

This confirms and adds to Elliotte Friedman’s report on the 32 Thoughts podcast that McGroarty’s name “has come up in trade discussions” and that “the Jets have discussed trading and other teams have discussed acquiring McGroarty’s rights.”

The league source indicated that McGroarty’s view of his long-term future with Winnipeg changed since the conclusion of his NCAA season.
Here's the problem I have ... the McGroarty camp and the Jets camp have said nothing. Now if one of them reported it ... I would believe.
Okay so this Friday before 4:00 pm McGroarty is gone ... got it.

Reactions: Aries56

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
He would just sign and come to camp and make the team if he feels he is good enough. No one gets a guarantee. He wants out and he isn't the first guy that doesn't want to stay or be here.

His camp is going to say "OH I AM SO UPSET I DIDN"T GET TO COME IN AND PLAY A GAME! AND NOW I WANT OUT YOU GUYS AR MEAN!" Like come on. Like he is actually going to risk going back to college and not go pro. Now we get all this shit in the media when the Jets don't leak nothing. All tactics and showmanship for a guy who doesn't want to be and like how he say Cutter get his way with Philly.

This is probably the last College bound American we end up drafting this high again is my guess. They want there cake and a blow job plus you better bend over after.
lol, that's exactly what happened... he wanted a guarantee and the jets didn't give it to him now he wants out...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder about the new ability for college players to earn money while in college. I read somewhere that they are permitted to make 2-3x more in college than an AHL salary on an ELC, so there's more incentive to stay in college if they don't have a strong opportunity to play in the NHL.

apparently his dad wearing a jets hat is all part of his masterplan to get his son a trade...
I think Rutger and his dad were all aboard the Jets' bandwagon until it came time to discuss a contract and the Jets' plan. When the Jets said they didn't plan on giving him any NHL time this season, and that they viewed his development process as likely needing some AHL time their perspective about the Jets changed. It's not such a big surprise, I suppose.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I wonder about the new ability for college players to earn money while in college. I read somewhere that they are permitted to make 2-3x more in college than an AHL salary on an ELC, so there's more incentive to stay in college if they don't have a strong opportunity to play in the NHL.
probably why he's willing to go back to college if he can't force himself into the nhl

Reactions: wraithsonwings

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there is a big difference, between being excited to be drafted and making a calculation 2 years later on how you want to enter the league.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Here’s the bottom line, he has the means of moving on and he is not stringing the Jets along.
Good on him.
No sense taking this personally

Reactions: ps241

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think Mr. Hallenback has effectively exposed how McGroarity and his camp were liars from the begining.

Rutger and Dad were acting and they put on quite a performance.

Yes its accurate to be that cynical about people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad