Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
"I’m gonna be really careful here because there are a lot of answers I don’t have. His family advisor is not talking and the Jets are not talking but the one thing I can tell you is that I have heard his name has come up in trade discussions," Elliotte Friedman said about McGroarty on the 32 Thoughts podcast Saturday.

"The Jets have discussed trading and other teams have discussed acquiring McGroarty’s rights...And again, I’m not gonna guess on anything here, but I’m simply going to say that I’ve heard his name has come up in trade conversations. So we’ll see where this all goes over the next couple of weeks. He’s a good player and he would be coveted.”

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I knew this was the reason. Won't mess with lineups late in the season. McGroarty is taking his ball elsewhere. I see both sides, and f*** everyone involved. So much for the vaunted character player.

They couldn't even fit a 20 goal young player in their lineup and this kid thinks he can step in for a top 4 team? No offense to him but f*** him. Completely unreasonable expectations and if that is all it took for him to bail then I greatly question his character.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He never wanted to come to Winnipeg. He wanted out and watched his Buddy Cutter get his way and he wants the same thing. So fine trade him and get something. Its a shame because everything about this kid was about his leadership and well he just seems like someone that is entitled and wants what he wants and be dammed with anything else

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

I knew this was the reason. Won't mess with lineups late in the season. McGroarty is taking his ball elsewhere. I see both sides, and f*** everyone involved. So much for the vaunted character player.
Given how this forum often laments the idea that high producing vets chose who they play with.... Those same folks should be applauding the team for not letting it happen to someone with 0 to their nhl resume and is a non-generational prospect.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We had our team, we had our lineup. No way was Bones / Chevy going to mess with that while we were still fighting for playoff positioning.

If he had just come to camp for the upcoming season, who knows, maybe he would have made the team out of camp.
100%

Especially with Ehlers probably being dealt, there's be a potential spot for him on the left side in the top 6

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I can see the team not being able to grant him a spot down the stretch when they were trying to earn home ice.

Wonder if offering him a contract to burn a year (even if he didn't get in the lineup), would have been an option?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I can see the team not being able to grant him a spot down the stretch when they were trying to earn home ice.

Wonder if offering him a contract to burn a year (even if he didn't get in the lineup), would have been an option?

He definitely would’ve got into the last game where Lambert and Chibrikov played. Too bad he already made up his mind…

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Given how this forum often laments the idea that high producing vets chose who they play with.... Those same folks should be applauding the team for not letting it happen to someone with 0 to their nhl resume and is a non-generational prospect.

No if someone is 23 or under it's totally different. You can win with apparent selfish top line players and then youngsters who've never played before.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That Toffoli trade is looking pretty grim these days...

Really makes you wonder why tnse wouldn't just say hey yes sure you're in the lineup- guy can always be demoted later...

Lose a prospect to save an ELC year? That's winnipeg cheap.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm firmly on Chevy's side if that's how this went down. Move him out for a team player that plays a position we need

Agreed. I was more on McGroarty's side on the weekend, because the team really loves to slow play its prospects. If McGroarty wasn't even willing to play ball with the team that drafted him, well, bye. You have to actually prove you're better than what's currently available. Sorry, kid.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They couldn't even fit a 20 goal young player in their lineup and this kid thinks he can step in for a top 4 team? No offense to him but f*** him. Completely unreasonable expectations and if that is all it took for him to bail then I greatly question his character.
100% agreed. We had much better players already out of the lineup.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
That Toffoli trade is looking pretty grim these days...

Really makes you wonder why tnse wouldn't just say hey yes sure you're in the lineup- guy can always be demoted later...

Lose a prospect to save an ELC year? That's winnipeg cheap.

I think it's less about that and more about Chevy always hedging his bets and not issuing too many guarantees. Chevy was right in saying that he couldn't guarantee an NHL roster or playing time that late in the season. Look at what Bowness was doing. He has full and final say in roster decisions.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Yeah if that's the reason, give me a break.

If its true, it has completely flipped who's side I am on.

Reactions: roccerfeller

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes, they let Faber play an extra year in the NCAA and then signed him to play 2 games before training camp. I'm also sure Faber didn't tell Minnesota "Play me in the NHL or else".

Magic

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
This also squares with the timing.. it was 3 or 4 days after Michigan was eliminated that he announced he was going back

I'm gonna assume that there was immediate talks between his camp and chevy where he asked to be integrated in the line up but if I remember right, there just wasn't a chance

Also, was he looking for a game or two or did he want a spot on the playoff roster?

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
What shit hole can we trade him to? Winn…. Oh wait. :sarcasm:

Would NJ give up #10 for McGroarty and a sweetener, say Stanley? Then draft the best dman on the board?
Dickenson will be gone by 10 I suspect I've seen him high as 4. There should a Euro Dman there.

I think this is now the Jets leaking info to get fans onside. I'd be hesitant to place complete belief in that statement. There is usually 3 sides to every story.

To play devils advocate would it have really hurt to give him a shot ? We got smoked as I suspected we would anyhow. And we ain't winning it with this squad. Oh well next year we'll be 10% better and win 1.1 games.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
To play devils advocate would it have really hurt to give him a shot ? We got smoked as I suspected we would anyhow. And we ain't winning it with this squad. Oh well next year we'll be 10% better and win 1.1 games.
Michigan was eliminated on April 11

Jets had 3 games left at that point. He wouldn't have made it into the Avs game on the 13th, which left 2 games

I guess at that point it depends on how much you value 1st round home ice advantage

IIRC, he announced he was going back to school on the 15th, so before the last two games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad