Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Commodore 64, Scott Arniel's nemesis.
Still have my Commodore 64 in the basement, along with an Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Odyssey2, and a stand alone Super Pong 2 console... Have two Macintosh's in the garage along with a Vic 20 and an Amiga...

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Rutger to sign the index cards that I sent him...:pout:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Still have my Commodore 64 in the basement, along with an Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Odyssey2, and a stand alone Super Pong 2 console... Have two Macintosh's in the garage along with a Vic 20 and an Amiga...

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Rutger to sign the index cards that I sent him...:pout:
Ah yes the dream of becoming a computer programmer... typing for 6 hours to get a balloon to move across the screen

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I need help…he is a #14 pick who will be a good player. He has over performed his #14 pick…so where would he go in a redraft…would he go top 3 or something like that?

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
So McGroarty is a whiny, entitled ,pos according to many here and is also a highly coveted asset that can possibly fetch a decent return and possibly even start in the NHL , yet he’s being unreasonable for wanting an opportunity.
Interesting to say the least.
If he signed here he would have an opportunity to win a job at camp in September. He wanted a roster spot on a playoff team right away which is a guarantee, not an opportunity. If he goes to a weaker team they may be able to promise him a spot but I wouldn’t consider that a good precedent for any team to set. I’m not sure what he will get in return, maybe something in the 10-15 range of a pick in this years draft but who knows.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If he signed here he would have an opportunity to win a job at camp in September. He wanted a roster spot on a playoff team right away which is a guarantee, not an opportunity. If he goes to a weaker team they may be able to promise him a spot but I wouldn’t consider that a good precedent for any team to set. I’m not sure what he will get in return, maybe something in the 10-15 range of a pick in this years draft but who knows.
Path not taken I know , I doubt he would have gotten a shot.
Nothing but a gut feeling.
In any case I hope Chevy gets value at a position of need.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
So McGroarty is a whiny, entitled ,pos according to many here and is also a highly coveted asset that can possibly fetch a decent return and possibly even start in the NHL , yet he’s being unreasonable for wanting an opportunity.
Interesting to say the least.

In what world is not getting an opportunity? Come to camp and earn a frikken job. Just like every other prospect who is still in junior or the NCAA. Who knows what the real story is here, but if he wanted a guarantee, then who the hell does he think he is?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

threw out your Vic 20, then? shame!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Path not taken I know , I doubt he would have gotten a shot.
Nothing but a gut feeling.
In any case I hope Chevy gets value at a position of need.
Hard to understand the timelines here... did he want to sign a contract after TC and the Jets said no? Or did he want mid season?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hard to understand the timelines here... did he want to sign a contract after TC and the Jets said no? Or did he want mid season?
I take it (based on the comments I've seen and the timeline) that he wanted to sign and play in one of the last 2 games of last season (to burn a year of his ELC maybe)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Indications are that He wanted it after Michigan was knocked out of the frozen 4 when other NCAA players were signing and getting NHL game action. April 11 was when Michigan was knocked out.

Reactions: kylbaz

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Trade him to Washington for PLD at 50% retained and a 1st. Washington gets a young winger who fits their core better and gets out of PLD’s contract, and we get our 2C locked in for seven more years at $4.25 while picking up a draft pick to take on the contract

Yogi141

Feb 24, 2018
Why not tell him that if he continues his development he is guaranteed a roster spot? The guy had a fabulous season and has A+ leadership skills. If the rest of his game improves, why not give him a roster spot? We are goin to lose Monahan/Taffoli/DeMelo/Dillon/Brossoit in a worse case scenario. That is 2 top 6 spots, Ehlers is going to be a UFA after the season. I would rather the Jets deal Ehlers for capital and keep McGroarty and sign him!
I think the leadership skills ship has sailed. What he is doing right now reeks of self interest, not leadership. Still, it should never have got to this. True North should have had better awareness as to how he was feeling about his development plans. They should also have been aware that the lack of integration of draft picks into their lineup over the past few years might have a negative effect on those draft picks.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I take it (based on the comments I've seen and the timeline) that he wanted to sign and play in one of the last 2 games of last season (to burn a year of his ELC maybe)
Ncaa have family advisors... agents aren't allowed right...

You know who Cutter Gauthiers agent is now that he's pro... Overhardt - bet you one dollar that mcgroarty will be on his list too

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I see no issue with his request to play in a game at the end of last season to burn an ELC year ….. Now if he was saying he also demands a spot in the top 6 next season then that is a different conversation.
Do you put him in over Lambert & Chibrikov who played well with the Moose all year and deserved the game more than him? Still reeks of entitlement to me.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Trade him to Washington for PLD at 50% retained and a 1st. Washington gets a young winger who fits their core better and gets out of PLD’s contract, and we get our 2C locked in for seven more years at $4.25 while picking up a draft pick to take on the contract

Something about having PLD stuck here for the next 8 seasons when he did all he could to get traded, well that idea just tickles me.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Then get Laine 50% retained. Then hire PoMo.

Make the playoffs, win the cup in game 7 with an OT PP goal

Goal: Laine (PLD, Vilardi)

Resign as a franchise after having officially played the entire league.

One day later, Atlanta Thrashers announce their return.

Wake up from this weird fever dream you had for the last 15 years.

End.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
we were still in a battle for home ice when they were talking, they couldn't offer him a game because they didn't know how important it would end up being
Tbh, we were fine dressing Lambert and Chib who deserved it, sure, but If your first target is to win the game in order to get home ice - why are you doing it? Because you want to show those kids some love.

Why did the "showing some love" part ended there? It was okay to show it to those two but one more can't be done?

It's funny because I am sure they did it in some ways because they thought it will look good to our other prospects as well when it might have soured their arguably #1 prospect.

(Not saying I agree with McG personally, just reflecting)

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad