Speculation: Russo on the status of Kaprizov’s contract negotiations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
if worse comes to worse and Wild don't sign him and don't trade him, Kaprizov is going to lose a ton of money. No GM in their right mind will sign a 27 year old with 55 NHL games of experience to a max contract north of $10m/yr. I doubt very much anyone in the KHL is going to pay the equivalent of that for more than a couple years.

Just sitting on an idle Kaprizov will suck hard for the Wild--it'll be horrible--but for the reasons people have been saying an unsigned Kaprizov isn't all that valuable in trade it's not going to hurt the Wild as much as it'll hurt Kaprizov personally. At least the Wild will have that extra $10m in cap space. Even if he comes back to the NHL he's going to make a fraction of what he would have if he'd just stayed and played for the 5 years (at what some psychotic said is peanuts $9.5m) then signed a second contract for fewer years but more money.

I’m ready for it.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
The sooner Guerin and gang understand he doesn't, and maybe never has, wanted to play here long-term, the sooner they can do what's best for the organization and orchestrate a plan to maximize the return. Signing him to a short-term deal and trading him before it ends is probably the best for the Wild.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Why don’t you tell the class how many forwards in the NHL make $9M per season. After that, explain to everyone how that is “peanuts.”

I'm confused. Isn't that the same guy who beat a dead horse for the longest time on how the Wild shouldn't try to sign an unproven player to a long term deal for big money? But now it's peanuts all of a sudden.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Like I said, I predict that it will end up something like 2 X 9.5M, and they just punt it down the road, when more certainty on future caps rises are there.
I really doubt Minny has offered anything like this though I’m sure Kirill would sign such an offer instantly.

I suspect the guy saying 5 x $9mm AAV will be correct. He may wait on a few other RFAs to sign. Seems Kirill feels no urgency to get his deal inked. But Minny will need a contract with enough term to make him a tradable asset.

it’s clear now this player won’t play out is career in Minnesota. He’s probably got his eyes set on larger markets. So Minny needs to leave themselves a tradable contract. Something with four years of remaining term next summer would be quite valuable if he produces another season like he just did. As an Avs fan, I got to watch him play several games this year. Maybe 15. He’s a difference maker and possession driver. Very much a first line winger on any NHL team. Minny will need to preserve value on his rights.

it’s very reasonable to assume a holdup right now is over control of a limited no trade list so Kirill can prevent a move to a market he doesn’t want to play in. They may be haggling over number of teams in a no trade clause. Given a trade of this player looks increasingly likely since he won’t commit to term. I hate the Wild but I understand exactly what their GM is trying to do here.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
$9M is for 10 years or something. If it is 4 i think Guerin lowballs him with something around $6.5-7M
8 years is the max term. Kirill likely wants three years, so he will be a UFA when done.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I really doubt Minny has offered anything like this though I’m sure Kirill would sign such an offer instantly.

I suspect the guy saying 5 x $9mm AAV will be correct. He may wait on a few other RFAs to sign. Seems Kirill feels no urgency to get his deal inked. But Minny will need a contract with enough term to make him a tradable asset.

it’s clear now this player won’t play out is career in Minnesota. He’s probably got his eyes set on larger markets. So Minny needs to leave themselves a tradable contract. Something with four years of remaining term next summer would be quite valuable if he produces another season like he just did. As an Avs fan, I got to watch him play several games this year. Maybe 15. He’s a difference maker and possession driver. Very much a first line winger on any NHL team. Minny will need to preserve value on his rights.

it’s very reasonable to assume a holdup right now is over control of a limited no trade list so Kirill can prevent a move to a market he doesn’t want to play in. They may be haggling over number of teams in a no trade clause. Given a trade of this player looks increasingly likely since he won’t commit to term. I hate the Wild but I understand exactly what their GM is trying to do here.
Unlikely, since his next contract can't include trade protections until 2024.

Reactions: 57special

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
$9M is for 10 years or something. If it is 4 i think Guerin lowballs him with something around $6.5-7M

To be fair, 6.5-7 is still pretty good for a player that's only played 55 regular season games. That said, yeah, it's possible that Guerin goes that low on a 4 year offer in order to nudge Kaprizov toward the reported 5 year offer of 9M per season. I'm not sure how either offer is exactly "peanuts" though.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
7 mill is lowballing. lol. for a guy with not even 82 games in the nhl. a bridge like laine got at 6.5 for 2 years is the way to go. at the very least even a 1 year contract to prove he is worth big money is reasonable. wtf has this guy done to justify a huge payday.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
7 mill is lowballing. lol. for a guy with not even 82 games in the nhl. a bridge like laine got at 6.5 for 2 years is the way to go. at the very least even a 1 year contract to prove he is worth big money is reasonable. wtf has this guy done to justify a huge payday.
$6.5M for 2 years would be a good offer. Kaprizov is forced to sign for 4+ years.
edit: forced to sign for 5+ years.

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Russo just stated on KFAN Wild will not go below 5 years. Guerin getting frustrated. Honestly want this dude gone, trade him away for a bag.

Reactions: kp61c

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Russo just stated on KFAN Wild will not go below 5 years. Guerin getting frustrated. Honestly want this dude gone, trade him away for a bag.
Sounds like it's time to make a trade. Minnesota needs long-term certainty with Kaprizov and it doesn't look like Kaprizov wants to give that.

Reactions: kp61c

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
$6.5M for 2 years would be a good offer. Kaprizov is forced to sign for 4+ years.
edit: forced to sign for 5+ years.

There is this thing called the draft, rfa, and ufa. Does the KHL not have a similar setup with some kind of rules and structure to follow? If Kap wants to be walked right to UFA status then he should expect less money, if he wants a big payday then the term has to go up. Want to make millions in the nhl, well some team has to pay you that money and they need to do what is best for the team and not pay there best winger to walk as soon as possible.

If kap wants 3 and the wild want 8 who is being unreasonable? 5 seems like some nice middle ground that leans kaps way by a year and the money sounds plenty good.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
This is dumb on Guerin's part because 4 years shouldn't be off the table at all.
It really should be off the table when you need Kaprizov there after Parise and Suter's contracts are cleaned off. Because that's what this negotiation is about. Setting the team up for when Suter/Parise cap hits are cleared and locking in your best player and building around him for the future. Just too bad that Kaprizov isn't reading things that way. Probably why Guerin is really frustrated, as he put all his eggs in one basket and it's not working as planned.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It really should be off the table when you need Kaprizov there after Parise and Suter's contracts are cleaned off. Because that's what this negotiation is about. Setting the team up for when Suter/Parise cap hits are cleared and locking in your best player and building around him for the future. Just too bad that Kaprizov isn't reading things that way. Probably why Guerin is really frustrated, as he put all his eggs in one basket and it's not working as planned.
A 4 year deal would expire at the same time as the (worst parts of the) buyouts. More term is preferable, but the buyouts don't force any hard distinction between 4 and 5 years in terms of the cap situation.

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is dumb on Guerin's part because 4 years shouldn't be off the table at all.

I can see why he wants the fifth year- the first year without the dead cap- to demonstrate to Kaprizov that this team really is going to compete. These next four years are mostly a write-off, that fifth year will be when Guerin can actually build the team he's envisioning (in theory).

It'll be the one year Guerin can point to in the next negotiations to say "see, THIS is what this team is going to be about, THIS is what we're doing to win".

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
A 4 year deal would expire at the same time as the (worst parts of the) buyouts. More term is preferable, but the buyouts don't force any hard distinction between 4 and 5 years in terms of the cap situation.
It does for the wild, in terms of personnel. That year (2025-26) is the same year it is anticipated the cap will make its first significant jump since COVID, which means that other teams will have the cap space to be able to make competitive offers for Kaprizov and Minnesota can't use it's checkbook as the deciding factor like they did with Parise/Suter. Minnesota wants roster certainty and who they will be building around and a 5-year deal gets them into a much better position. So yeah...5 years versus 4 is a big deal to Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad